LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I always thought that the kicking movement just causes a little more weight to come down towards the front of the board to help you commit.

I never developed the habit but I see where it can help.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post

Was watching some technique vids and had never heard anyone explain from a technical perspective why kicking helps you catch a wave. I don't think about it all too hard when I'm in the water. I'll kick, double arm paddle and do no paddle drop ins; pretty much whatever I can to catch a wave. I just do what I know works, but it's nice that someone is putting some thought into the "why" of it all.

Enjoy
    I thought we were supposed to just surf brah and not over-analyze...

Good post. This is the stuff that helps me progress. Thanks for putting it up.

I didn't watch the video, but kicking will only help if your kick is propulsive (i.e. you need to drive water backward with your kick, not down). A lot of people have stiff ankles and can't flex their ankles to 180 degrees (plantar flexion - pointed toes). Angles substantially less than 180 degrees give very little propulsion, so while kicking may make you feel good, it might not actually be helping.

now, i'll say right off the bat that i didn't watch the video. BUT...i was always taught not to kick, but somewhere along the line i picked up the habit. maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. i try to avoid it, as i've noticed, when i go out on my prone paddleboard for long distance paddles or when i'm on my log, kicking (legs bent at the knees, feet up in the air, scissoring) seems to just waste energy & have no real benefit, esp. on the paddleboard. maybe sprint type paddling sees more benefit, since you're simply trying to get as much power/speed as possible in a short amount of time.

waterbaby, could you elaborate more on your "sideways paddling"? i'm not sure i'm understanding what you're getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    when i go out on my prone paddleboard for long distance paddles or when i'm on my log, kicking (legs bent at the knees, feet up in the air, scissoring) seems to just waste energy & have no real benefit, esp. on the paddleboard.
    The point of kicking, as explained in the video, is to lift the back of your board out of the water, creating less drag. This really only applies to a shortboard because the back of a log or paddleboard doesn't sink that much anyway.

In the past, I may have tried to stop myself from kicking (probably based on it being called kooky round these parts) but after seeing so many of the pros doing it and noticing a benefit from it myself...I have no problem embracing the kick.

Great thread,Read a few years ago that it did make a real slight difference . I always felt like a Kook kicking like crazy but feel much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    waterbaby, could you elaborate more on your "sideways paddling"? i'm not sure i'm understanding what you're getting at.
    +1 I cannot figure that out. Seems like wasted motion from your description, not saying it's not helpful, just don't think I understand it.

Same dude who made the Nat Young video made one breaking down how to win a paddle battle.

The trophy for wiggling from side to side is kept in the ladies' powder room. The other 11 are residing on ol Baldy's mantle place in Cocoa's Beach.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; May 24, 2013 at 02:28 AM.

yea i usually kick water at my friends face when there near me.

Quote Originally Posted by brek View Post
    The point of kicking, as explained in the video, is to lift the back of your board out of the water, creating less drag. This really only applies to a shortboard because the back of a log or paddleboard doesn't sink that much anyway.
    wouldn't a well shaped board create little to no drag? the fins are foiled, the bottom is contoured...what's creating the drag?
    as someone else stated, it may create additional lift from the downward stroke of the kick, but it's probably minimal.