LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nj surfers

Hybrid View

Nj surfers

2 questions. first, tomorrow looks like it could be a decent fun day, i havent been to the shore since sandy and the cameras im seeing of my regular spots havent looked so good could you let me know how the breaks been at belmar, avon, and squan.. and second i know in the mid atlantic you can never be sure of a swell longer than 48hrs, but looking at the LOLA charts it seems something can be headed our way for sun/mon, but the surf forecast is showing flatness id like to hear some of your opinions..

Quote Originally Posted by johnnykans View Post
    i havent been to the shore since sandy...
    then you, sir, are a goober & don't deserve a single wave. stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    Why does he have to stay home? This "local" attitude here in Jersey is really pissing me off. People here have an attitude I have never experienced surfing in any other part of the world and I've surfed all over. And the irony is that NJ waves are nothing to write home about. Sure it gets good here and I would rank it among the top on the east coast but honestly the attitude and sense of entitlement "locals" have is embarrassing to me as a NJ surfer. I just got back from CA and surfed a whole slew of breaks with "locals" and they were friendly to me. But I get back here, head to an undisclosed break in Monmouth County, and immediatly I am harrassed by some "local" before I even throw my wetsuit on. For what? Because he doesn't personally know me? Give me a break jerkoff. No one owns the friggin ocean. I surf year 'round. FYI - just because I don't live in a beach town doesn't mean I haven't been surfing these breaks since I was a kid. I'm sick of "locals" starting fights. Local surfers starting fights is on par with jersey shore guidos starting fights outside DJs. It is counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by NJAZguy View Post
    Why does he have to stay home? This "local" attitude here in Jersey is really pissing me off. People here have an attitude I have never experienced surfing in any other part of the world and I've surfed all over. And the irony is that NJ waves are nothing to write home about. Sure it gets good here and I would rank it among the top on the east coast but honestly the attitude and sense of entitlement "locals" have is embarrassing to me as a NJ surfer. I just got back from CA and surfed a whole slew of breaks with "locals" and they were friendly to me. But I get back here, head to an undisclosed break in Monmouth County, and immediatly I am harrassed by some "local" before I even throw my wetsuit on. For what? Because he doesn't personally know me? Give me a break jerkoff. No one owns the friggin ocean. I surf year 'round. FYI - just because I don't live in a beach town doesn't mean I haven't been surfing these breaks since I was a kid. I'm sick of "locals" starting fights. Local surfers starting fights is on par with jersey shore guidos starting fights outside DJs. It is counterproductive.
    You are defending someone who obviously abandoned the Jersey Coast after Sandy? Really?
    So basically you are saying it's cool for someone to use the resources but do nothing to help with recovery only to come back after the dust has settled? Seriously? Then have either the dearth of intellect or the balls to ask people to check "your" spots for you?

Hell, I've never surfed in Jersey and never plan to but I ponied up to help them out. AND I STILL WOULDN'T EXPECT A MODICUM OF RESPECT IF I PADDLED OUT. (NOYA)

Take, take, take, me, me, me..... TOTAL GOOBER KOOOOOOOK!

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    You are defending someone who obviously abandoned the Jersey Coast after Sandy? Really?
    So basically you are saying it's cool for someone to use the resources but do nothing to help with recovery only to come back after the dust has settled? Seriously? Then have either the dearth of intellect or the balls to ask people to check "your" spots for you?

Hell, I've never surfed in Jersey and never plan to but I ponied up to help them out. AND I STILL WOULDN'T EXPECT A MODICUM OF RESPECT IF I PADDLED OUT. (NOYA)

Take, take, take, me, me, me..... TOTAL GOOBER KOOOOOOOK!
    Yeah I agree with you on all that. I'm just saying the guy has the right to do what he pleases. And you should be mature enough to respect how other people live their lives.

You're jumping to too many conclusions about the guy. Who knows what his story is. That's why the first thing I asked him was "why" he hasn't been to the shore since Sandy. Maybe he lives an hour away like I do and his car broke down all winter. Who knows. And for all you know he could have donated more than you to Sandy relief. You are jumping the gun on assumptions man.

You got harassed by a "local" in Monmouth? I never have. Actually, because of work, I surf from the hook to Cape May and never get any sh*t. And I'm not a bad looking dude either... I hear a lot of people talking about "locals" and how they get harassed. But I never have any issues in NY or NJ. I don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by NJAZguy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    You got harassed by a "local" in Monmouth? I never have. Actually, because of work, I surf from the hook to Cape May and never get any sh*t. And I'm not a bad looking dude either... I hear a lot of people talking about "locals" and how they get harassed. But I never have any issues in NY or NJ. I don't get it
    I tend to agree with you NYNJ. I have lived and surfed in Monmouth County for my whole life. I have seen a few verbal spats over the years, but nothing really major. I have gotten the stink eye a few places, but I try to just kill them with kindess. As long as they don't mistake kindness for weakness, it's all good. The best I can remember was surfing a spot that was predominantly bodyboarders. Not gonna get into the whole bodyboard/ surf argument, but they were doing their best to make me feel unwelcome. All I could do was laugh. It was like a biker gang trying to mark their turf riding around on mopeds.
    Last edited by Uncle Irish; May 24, 2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Plagiarism

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Irish View Post
    I tend to agree with you NYNJ. I have lived and surfed in Monmouth County for my whole life. I have seen a few verbal spats over the years, but nothing really major. I have gotten the stink eye a few places, but I try to just kill them with kindess. As long as they don't mistake kindness for weakness, it's all good. The best I can remember was surfing a spot that was predominantly bodyboarders. Not gonna get into the whole bodyboard/ surf argument, but they were doing their best to make me feel unwelcome. All I could do was laugh. It was like a biker gang trying to mark their turf riding around on mopeds.
    Dude, let me congratulate you on your wave riding vehicle. Being able to stand on a 6'2'' - 12' piece of glassed foam is an extremely unique talent. I haven't seen many who can perform this feat. I know youse guys like to kid yourself, but performance-wise, surfing a Mayhem is a lot easier than riding a kayak. It's all aboot that back foot/tail pivoting that makes things like snaps and off the lips so much easier than us kayakers and even those sponge dudes. Like, most surf cats wouldn't even be able to hold an edge on other crafts without skegs. Yes, I know you have to pop up to your feet..........wow.

Plus, standing up on a wave gives you more control and give the person a greater sense of confidence dealing with larger waves. Waves seem alot bigger and more uncontrollable on a kayak. I'm more at the waves mercy, and have to learn how to tame those breakers, dude. I like how so many surfers look down on kayakers and those sponge things, but they can't ride those crafts. All the loudmouth ones never put up because they are all talk. Let me see you get barreled and then bust an air on a kayak. Yeah, didn't think so.

If you think boogieboarders are bad wait until you go to a kayak dominated spot. We'll completely be out of control and run you over. We'll probably be welcoming, but you'll probably get run over anyways because I don't know how to control that thing all of the time. Sometimes I got it under control, then sometimes I don't. I got a roo-bar on the front of my kayak................and on the tail end too for when I spin around and end up riding backwards.

Do you know what it's like getting dragged in that whitewater stuff upside down ??? Crazy, man. Yeah dudes, surfboards that are all neatly shaped and packaged in these stealth designs are for control-freak, nancy boys. Real crazy, out-of-control people ride kayaks......

[QUOTE=NJAZguy;168700]Why does he have to stay home? This "local" attitude here in Jersey is really pissing me off. People here have an attitude I have never experienced surfing in any other part of the world and I've surfed all over

Thanks for pointing this out.. i agree with you 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    Maybe he's like a 13 or 14 year old kid and doesn't have a drivers license and his parents are working and can't drive him to the beach. I was in that situation when I was a kid.

Or, yes, maybe he's a goober. But you shouldn't make that assumption.