LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: biscuit

biscuit

I thought I've seen threads about the CI biscuit but didn't see as much as I'd hoped. I"m thinking about getting one. I've been riding a longboard pretty much exclusively and on occasion a 7'6" funboard, but wanted to try something some with a different feel to it. CI suggests the biscuit as an all level board so I thought it would be a good choise. This is mostly for small waves looking to go bigger. I'd love to hear feedback on the board if you have it. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lalit View Post
    This is mostly for small waves looking to go bigger.
    you lost me there. not sure what you mean.

i've ridden both the fishcuit & the biscuit & liked the fishcuit far more. biscuit was "meh" as a small wave board. not enough tail area, IMO. it was ok, but nothing to write home about. the fishcuit redefined summer/small wave surfing for me. so much more fun.

i have a biscuit sized like my regular shortboard rather than 8 inches shorter like they recommend and i love it. takes a bit of adjustment because the flat rocker and and fat rails but it goes really fast and easy. doesn't turn on a dime if you're used to that but it's made me use my rail more which has improved my overall surfing. good for anything waist to head but isn't really going to replace a longboard for small mush wave stuff..

I have a biscuit and think it's a great all round board. Like Travy said it's fast and I think it's really easy to ride though it certainly isn't going to replace a longboard in small mush.

I think that you need to particular about the length that you are getting because I have a 5'10'' (I'm 5'9'') and it at times seems to be a little big. Not sure of the recommendations on that though.

Definitely would recommend it though cause it's maneuverable like a shortboard but allows you some of the buoyancy that you're used to like a longboard.

I own several biscuits over the years and is one of my favorite boards. I ride it in anything from knee-high to overhead. Works good overhead when waves are Slopey. Kind of like snowboarding. But I ride a short board. I am 6'2" and my biscuit is a 5'8". Since you're coming down from a 7'4". I don't know if this will help you.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    biscuit was "meh" as a small wave board. not enough tail area, IMO. it was ok, but nothing to write home about. the fishcuit redefined summer/small wave surfing for me. so much more fun.
    I never rode a biscuit, and never quite understood the concept behind it.

Somewhat pulled in round tail, even the nose was a bit pulled in compared to most other really small wave boards.

and then at least 1/2" thicker than any other short board I've ridden. I mean isnt a 5'8" Biscuit like 2 7/8" thick with big round rails?

To me, small wave boards are all about planing area. In the tail for generating speed on small mushy waves, and in the nose to make it easy to paddle in early and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post

Somewhat pulled in round tail, even the nose was a bit pulled in compared to most other really small wave boards.

and then at least 1/2" thicker than any other short board I've ridden. I mean isnt a 5'8" Biscuit like 2 7/8" thick with big round rails?

To me, small wave boards are all about planing area. In the tail for generating speed on small mushy waves, and in the nose to make it easy to paddle in early and fast.
    exactly. the biscuit i had was 5'8"x20.25"x2.75"...& i found it worked far better in slightly larger (stomach-chest high & punchy) waves than what i wanted it for. not enough planing area to really get up & go in small, gutless surf. which is why the fishcuit was so much better...same size, far more tail area.

edit: this, of course, assumes you size them correctly. oversize any high-volume board & it'll work in anything. but it won't perform the way it's meant to, just paddle & catch waves w/ ease.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post

To me I found the volume was the key aspect. My 5'8" paddled well and had tons of speed in small mushy stuff. I'm no expert on board design, but maybe it has a lot to do with bottom contours. I found it went on rail really well. Yet not so much in getting above the lip. Bought a Gravy and hated it. Maybe it's rider ability/style.

Quote Originally Posted by archy View Post
    To me I found the volume was the key aspect. My 5'8" paddled well and had tons of speed in small mushy stuff. I'm no expert on board design, but maybe it has a lot to do with bottom contours. I found it went on rail really well. Yet not so much in getting above the lip. Bought a Gravy and hated it. Maybe it's rider ability/style.
    i got a gravy as a 'step up' and love it. hate it in smaller, crappier surf but in clean pitchy stuff it's fast and stable and the volume up front helps get me over the ledge and down the face while the knifey tail holds tighter than the biscuit. definitely not a board for everyone or a daily driver.

i think what a lot of people don't like about the biscuit, gravy, etc. is it is marketed as a small wave slop board but it doesn't really start doing its thing until the waves get good at which point, why not just ride your regular short board? but for me--middle age dude who doesn't paddle as well as he used to--it was a way to get extra volume without going full on 'fun shape'. ymmv..

Quote Originally Posted by travy View Post
    i got a gravy as a 'step up' and love it. hate it in smaller, crappier surf but in clean pitchy stuff it's fast and stable and the volume up front helps get me over the ledge and down the face while the knifey tail holds tighter than the biscuit. definitely not a board for everyone or a daily driver.

i think what a lot of people don't like about the biscuit, gravy, etc. is it is marketed as a small wave slop board but it doesn't really start doing its thing until the waves get good at which point, why not just ride your regular short board? but for me--middle age dude who doesn't paddle as well as he used to--it was a way to get extra volume without going full on 'fun shape'. ymmv..
    Oh yeah my bad, bought a motorboat and hated it. Gravey looked sweet for solid hollow waves but didn't have need for it since I had other brds.