LOGIN | REGISTER

Attached hooded suit?

do attached hooded suits feel better than hoods that you put on any time you won't? can you turn your head better in attached suits?

I like attached better, because they feel looser around the neck. The neck of the wetsuit becomes the hood itself. With hoods you tuck in, the material of the hood is an added layer of thickness under the neck which is very constricting. A good fitting cap isn't bad either, but your neck and chin will get cold.

For VA/NC I would recommend having a nicer 4/3 (excel drylock) with an attached hood for the Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar months bc when the hood is attached it doesn't let any water creep down your neck. I come out of the water and the inside of my suit is barely even wet. I would also recommend having another 4/3 with out a hood for the warmer days because surfing with the hood down is very annoying. Just though I would give my recommendation, even though it can get pricey with both the 4/3s.

ok great thanks. do you think you could cut the hood off once the water and air warms up to where you don't need it and it still be efficient like a normal 4/3?

You can easily pull the hood off once you get out and pull it back on when the swell comes.

I don't think you could cut it off because the neck area wold not be tight and let water in. You can just pull the hood down, but it is way uncomfortable to me...

Quote Originally Posted by catmaster2 View Post
    ok great thanks. do you think you could cut the hood off once the water and air warms up to where you don't need it and it still be efficient like a normal 4/3?
    You can look into an Oneill Mutant which lets you swap out a hood for a regular neck closure. They make them in 5/4 and 4/3.

http://beckersurf.com/oneill/3647blk