LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Board

New Board

I'm looking for a new board but I have no clue what I want. I currently ride a Sharpeye Disco and I enjoy it a lot. I was kind of thinking of a mini Simons but I'm not to familiar with those. I am 6'2.

What kind of waves do you plan to ride it in? What do you want it to do better than the Disco?

I want it to be able to perform in small to about head high. The disco performs good in those conditions but I want something a little looser.

Quote Originally Posted by wb surfer View Post
    I want it to be able to perform in small to about head high. The disco performs good in those conditions but I want something a little looser.
    Have you experimented with other types of fins?

I've always thought that Simmons were best for california style clean point breaks, waist to shoulder high.

It's definitely an intriguing board, but I'd like to try one for a session or two before dropping the $ on one.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    I've always thought that Simmons were best for california style clean point breaks, waist to shoulder high.

It's definitely an intriguing board, but I'd like to try one for a session or two before dropping the $ on one.
    I agree with you if you're talking about a true mini simmons based on bob simmons design. You can say the same thing about the lis fish too. Both designs have minimal to flat rocker that work well on very predictable waves. With a couple tweaks you can definitely make a mini or a fish into a good performing east coast board. Definitely worth having in the quiver.

Contact Eavey through Sweetwater or behind CCE at his shop and tell him what you want. Check out http://eaveysurfboards.blogspot.com/ He'll make you what ever you want and it will definately be right for WB. Check out the boards on his page you can see the one he made for me. It will be the black fish...hence the name.

well the minisimmons will definitely be looser than the disco. i got one last year and have ridden it in knee high up to head high. i wont really take it out unless its small or weak, so pretty much your all around summer board. i prefer my dumpster diver for anything that has some push in like waist high to head high. if you want to get a mini it will be a board to add to the quiver for smaller days, but not an all around board. really fun though.

I borrow a buddy's Eavy Simmons now and again. It's really fun and fast, but LOOSE is not necessarily a word I would use to describe it. Simmons are meant to be trimmed and go fast--they have a way more aggressive rail foil than your standard short board among other things. I'm sure you can find some modern hybrids that are looser, but a more traditional one with keel fins are more like drag racers than Formula-1 cars.

Boards that I've ridden and liked a lot especially for the east coast conditions you described are the JS Pier Pony, Lost V2 Stub and Firewire Baked Potato. I just traded a Disco in for the V2 Stub.