LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best session I've had in a looong time...

So I shoot out of work yesterday afternoon here in Central NJ and although the waves are barely a foot or two, I whip out the log... no the other log and head to the beach with my wife and brother. My brother and I are out in the water, enjoying the beautiful 85 degree weather (the main reason we went out) as its been pretty crummy weather here recently and we just wanted to go out, ride some small ones, clear our minds and have a nice little relaxing session...

Then it all happened, I look up and I see two dolphins cruising from south to north about 50' away from us, as I have seen multiple times throughout my many of surf sessions. We got super excited as we always do when we see dolphins close by. Then all of a sudden we look south and there's a much larger pod (10 or so) of dolphins, but these guys were much closer to us and actually heading directly towards us on an angle. I say to my brother, "dude, they're coming right at us" and laugh as I get all excited to see them so close. As they begin to approach us one dolphin in particular seemed awfully curious as he came within 10' from me and just a couple of feet from my brother as he cruised on by (my brother legitimately could have reached out and touched him if he wanted to). At this point we are losing it, we were so ecstatic and amazed about how close he came to us. As he passed, we look up and three other dolphins are riding the surf just 10' from us. Another dolphin jumped out of the water (higher than normal)...

You can just tell this pod of dolphins were curious of us, having a blast in the surf, being recreational, enjoying life.. just as we were... Such a super cool experience with mother nature that I will never forget, and for that reason it was definitely one of the best sessions I've had in my life.

Anyone else have any cool stories they've experienced from surfing in dealing with mother nature?

Quote Originally Posted by shorebreaker View Post
    So I shoot out of work yesterday afternoon here in Central NJ and although the waves are barely a foot or two, I whip out the log... no the other log and head to the beach with my wife and brother. My brother and I are out in the water, enjoying the beautiful 85 degree weather (the main reason we went out) as its been pretty crummy weather here recently and we just wanted to go out, ride some small ones, clear our minds and have a nice little relaxing session...

Then it all happened, I look up and I see two dolphins cruising from south to north about 50' away from us, as I have seen multiple times throughout my many of surf sessions. We got super excited as we always do when we see dolphins close by. Then all of a sudden we look south and there's a much larger pod (10 or so) of dolphins, but these guys were much closer to us and actually heading directly towards us on an angle. I say to my brother, "dude, they're coming right at us" and laugh as I get all excited to see them so close. As they begin to approach us one dolphin in particular seemed awfully curious as he came within 10' from me and just a couple of feet from my brother as he cruised on by (my brother legitimately could have reached out and touched him if he wanted to). At this point we are losing it, we were so ecstatic and amazed about how close he came to us. As he passed, we look up and three other dolphins are riding the surf just 10' from us. Another dolphin jumped out of the water (higher than normal)...

You can just tell this pod of dolphins were curious of us, having a blast in the surf, being recreational, enjoying life.. just as we were... Such a super cool experience with mother nature that I will never forget, and for that reason it was definitely one of the best sessions I've had in my life.

Anyone else have any cool stories they've experienced from surfing in dealing with mother nature?
    That's awesome dude, happens around here at the inlet, not quite like that, but once I was out in the water with my wife and I was showing her how to paddle board on a small day while I was catching some on the LB, my wife says to me "hey what's that over there", we turn and there are about 3-4 dolphin swimming by within about 20-30 yards of us, then I see a nice size wave roll in so i decide to catch it and try to get a look at the dolphins as I cruise by, well out of nowhere a few of them caught the same wave as me about 20 feet away and we shared a ride, pretty surreal experience, i'll never forget it.

was there a rainbow too? hand-holding? i just got doosh chills.

Awesome story. There's so much to enjoy about surfing beyond simply riding waves.

don't go in the water BRAH too many sharks and 23 footers ...especially in NJ....

Images
    That's awesome dude...I've personally never had that close of an interaction w/ dolphins, but every time I see a seal pop it's head up, or have an osprey fishing overhead, or anything like that, it definitely makes the session feel that much more special. Had a yellow lab swim out to me on a small day when I was a kid, that was definitely fun, he just hung out we played a bit then he swam back in. Good stuff though, glad that happened for ya.

That stuff only happens to surfers. God must like us.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    That's awesome dude, happens around here at the inlet, not quite like that, but once I was out in the water with my wife and I was showing her how to paddle board on a small day while I was catching some on the LB, my wife says to me "hey what's that over there", we turn and there are about 3-4 dolphin swimming by within about 20-30 yards of us, then I see a nice size wave roll in so i decide to catch it and try to get a look at the dolphins as I cruise by, well out of nowhere a few of them caught the same wave as me about 20 feet away and we shared a ride, pretty surreal experience, i'll never forget it.
    Pretty awesome story... nothing better than riding the same wave with best surfers out there!

Quote Originally Posted by RIer View Post
    Awesome story. There's so much to enjoy about surfing beyond simply riding waves.
    So very true... Nothing like riding some good waves, but it's good to sit back once in a while and enjoy what's right in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by shorebreaker View Post
    Pretty awesome story... nothing better than riding the same wave with best surfers out there!
    They rip so hard, I just stood and watched in awe