LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surfsolo View Post
    don't go in the water BRAH too many sharks and 23 footers ...especially in NJ....
    yeah... but its worth it... I mean all those hot hindu pricesses loooooove surfers ripping 23 footers bench pressing great whites while dropping in on kooks.

similar thing happened to me at HB Pier one summer. They were getting really close and breaching repeatedly within feet from me. I climbed on one of their backs and it lept out of the water and we flew through the sky together. We sailed the jetstream and joined up with a pack of unicorns and the blue dudes from the Avatar movie. It was an amazing experience. Pandora was beautiful.

this may be a faulty impression but on a number of cases where I have encountered dolphins, it was correlated with the larger swells of the day. they will mess around and feed, but when a set rolls in, its time for them to surf and jump. anyone else observe this?

i've had one fully breach 10' out and one swim under my SUP so close that its wave rocked my board.

funny story. last weekend i was out solo and i saw a fin so paddled out for a closer look. then some big fish started jumping out of the water and i spotted the fin, but it wasnt moving in the usual up-down of a dolphin, more the straight line of a you-know-what. I got spooked and booked it for the shore. when i got to shallow water, the dolphin showed himself more fully with a little jump. so i felt a little silly and paddled back out.

magic times when they come to play
    Last edited by wombat; May 31, 2013 at 02:38 PM.

I see dolphin fairly often. Had a first time experience last weekend...a manatee surfaced right next to my board while I was sitting in the line-up. This guy was one foot away and it caught me by surprise. Never seen one out in the ocean.

Images
    fun to watch, but i find dolphins to be pretty f'cking intimidating, once you get within about 5 or 6 feet of them. all that warm fuzzy Flipper stuff goes right out the window when you realize you're facing a fish bigger than you, on it's own turf.

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    fun to watch, but i find dolphins to be pretty f'cking intimidating, once you get within about 5 or 6 feet of them. all that warm fuzzy Flipper stuff goes right out the window when you realize you're facing a fish bigger than you, on it's own turf.
    They are our friends in the water, not sure why anybody would get intimidated by one. They are playful, curious creatures who have shown compassion toward humans. People have had their lives saved by a dolphin. Dude, didn't you ever watch Flipper?

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    this may be a faulty impression but on a number of cases where I have encountered dolphins, it was correlated with the larger swells of the day. they will mess around and feed, but when a set rolls in, its time for them to surf and jump. anyone else observe this?
    I've always noticed this too

dolphins come in close and ride waves with us all the time here in central CA. Just my last session, a pod of 3 rode a wave in so close to me, one had to flick out at the last second just to not run into me (pretty sure he/she knew what they were doing and just being playful).

It can be really dangerous though because some of the dolphins out here are giant. In Morro Bay, I had a 10 ft+ dolphin jump out and almost land on me.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    That stuff only happens to surfers. God must like us.
    Lifeguards too.

/I wasn't one to hassle the surfers when the waves were up and I was sitting the chair
    Last edited by mjp2; May 31, 2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: derpy me forgot the quote

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    dolphins come in close and ride waves with us all the time here in central CA. Just my last session, a pod of 3 rode a wave in so close to me, one had to flick out at the last second just to not run into me (pretty sure he/she knew what they were doing and just being playful).

It can be really dangerous though because some of the dolphins out here are giant. In Morro Bay, I had a 10 ft+ dolphin jump out and almost land on me.
    That's pretty awesome... I could imagine it could get kind of sketchy riding the same wave as a dolphin, although, as you point out, I feel like they def. know you are there too and wont necessarily run into you and will avoid you... The ones I saw yesterday were probably no bigger than 6'. Thanks for sharing though. Always interested to hear about other stories in different parts of the country.