LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: skimmers

1. One wave. One rider. Its that simple.

If you are standing on the beach with a skim board and the logger is already on the wave, you (the skimmer) are dropping in. Survival of the fittest is one thing, but running over a longboard already on the wave is something else entirely. I don't care how pro/am you are, give respect, get respect. Especially when it isn't your local break.

Images
    There was a skim contest at south side over the weekend, so i'm guessing it was mostly out of towners. Which kind of makes it worse... Not really sure how to apply priority rules when skimmers are in the mix? I'd say, if your surfing the wave first, then its yours.

there is just something very unicycle-ish about skimboarding...

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    there is just something very unicycle-ish about skimboarding...
    Ya, it definitely has something about it. It's kind of like surfing, except I see them keeping a lit cigarette going on the beach for in between rides. Mostly though they are kind of a counter culture to the counter culture of surfing. They don't talk much and at some beaches they are more of an urban myth than a physical creature.

Having a hard time picturing how this could happen as well, I've never seen skimmers getting in the mix with actual surfers, too much space between the shore pound and the waves further out on the bar, but I’ve never been to this location so I can't really fathom how this dynamic actually exists. In general if you are riding a log into the sand where the skimmers frolic about then you are probably doing it wrong anyways and will eventually end up buying a new center fin because it will get snapped off doing that.

Images
    Dudes, this thread is ridiculous.

Core skimmers are b!tchen. None of you sassies could rip up Balboa on a skimboard.

Besides how do skimmers, in Delaware the land of shorepound, interfere with a dude riding a longboard? So you just imagine that scenario in your head, and decide who the kook(s) is(are).

And before you submit to board descrimination, take a long look at your skills on the board you ride. Worry aboot that, not some other dude's board. There are dudes on different vehicles than yours that are wayyyyyyy better than you in the water. Think aboot that.

7. It might be helpful to know something about (or aboot) the break before commenting.

This isn't about who is the kook or not or who's got skills and who doesn't.

Images
    http://www.swellinfo.com/video/alley...urricane-swell

The clips with the long rights off the rocks are at the naval jetty

I'm a surfer and have more respect for the skimmers than the long boarders. If a skim boarder can ever get to the wave I'm riding after a toss from the beach he can have it.
    Last edited by Zippy; Jun 3, 2013 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachCruiser01 View Post
    One wave. One rider. Its that simple.

If you are standing on the beach with a skim board and the logger is already on the wave, you (the skimmer) are dropping in. Survival of the fittest is one thing, but running over a longboard already on the wave is something else entirely. I don't care how pro/am you are, give respect, get respect. Especially when it isn't your local break.
    Exactly that

Give respect, get respect in the water or out. That simple. Cuz there is a few regulars (surfers) out there that will punish you.

Sucks they were manhandling you. But it was pretty small sat which usually turns into a free for all at that place especially on a weekend. Also, with the contest in town it was inevitable that it was going to happen. I don't foresee it happening again at least when it's over waist high cuz they usually lose steam getting out to the wave.

On a side note there are some rippa skimmers around these parts and they seem to know that's more of a surf spot when it's on. Plus when it's bigger they are at other spots not interfering with the rippa surfers. Some of them come out and surf instead of skim at that spot and they (except for one that I can think of) end up kuuucing it anyway. Then you can pay it back...