LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort Fisher

Red face Fort Fisher

So ive surfed all over WB mase CB Topsail EI and I know those spots pretty well. But I have never surfed Fort Fisher and I hear that it gets richter from time to time. What the best tide to surf it and direction? like will it pick up N-S swells and is it rock bottom, wind favorability. Just give me a full description of the break. Oh and while I am at it, where are some high tide spots to surf, cant really find any. Please help me

I lived in Wilmington from '95 to '02. Used to dream of that place going off, but it never did. Locals said it hadn't worked in years due to some type of Army Core dredging. Maybe in the last decade some sand has pushed in and it's working again. Good luck. Not too many rock reef point breaks on the crystal coast.

3. With a good NE swell it can be a goofy footers dream....I live half a mile from "the place that shall not be mentioned". It's rare but when it goes off its fun...

Quote Originally Posted by kurebeachsurfer View Post
    With a good NE swell it can be a goofy footers dream....I live half a mile from "the place that shall not be mentioned". It's rare but when it goes off its fun...
    "The place that shall not be mentioned" is loaded with sharks and has barnacle covered, jagged rocks scattered throughout the break. Plus, there is an army of poisonous lion fish that will go a-wall on anyone that tries to surf there.

It's much safer surfing Hamlet Avenue. It's never crowded.

Keep an eye on the swell charts.

What's a Ft. Fisher?

Anyway... The Spot That Shall Not Be Mentioned is all filled with sand from the beach replenishment, as is the other Spot That Really Shall Not Be Mentioned down that way. I've seen perfect straighthanders going off down there since the muddy pipe of death showed up in the area.

The 4wd only areas of the state park can get all-time, but you have to go down there and verify for yourself.

Say Hi if you see me out, it's usually just me and the sharks when I make it down that far.

Images
    Ft. Fisher can get good but it's nothing compared to Southport.

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    Southport is Firing Right Now!!! Check the Cam! http://stateportpilot.com/live_web_cam/
    The place that shall not be mentioned has been filled in and is now a parking lot

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CBSCREWBY View Post
    Southport is Firing Right Now!!! Check the Cam! http://stateportpilot.com/live_web_cam/
    The place that shall not be mentioned has been filled in and is now a parking lot

Hahahahahahahaahaha......that place is teeing off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for the next super tanker to come rollin up the Cape Fear!!! The magic spot has fired once in the last 8 years....perfect overhead peeling lefts due to a long period swell from an unamed hurricane. That's the only time the unamed place, does its unimaginable magic... from a perfect setup that mother nature gives us only when the planets align just right. Besides Mary Lee has a home here so I'd stay as far away as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    Come on man....everybody knows the only day of the year Southport goes off is on July 4th. Make sure you get there early for the right swell, parking is a breeze.

Its no secret. But then again it hasn't been good other then a few days here and there. Fisher needs anything with a NE wind. Had some really fun winter swells there. Big and out of control but manigable there. Place is really exposed and needs a bigger swell to be worth it. But when all the elements come together you better hope its not a weekend cause its going to be crowded!