LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

south carolina barrier island outter sandbars.

a lot of our barrier islands have them and sometimes i can see what looks like perfect long breaking waves on the horizon. ive been out there fishing on them with no swell of course.... herd from some of the boat capts they have seen some amazing waves out there and its super sharky but yall know theyre everywhere anyways. (loads of bulls and tigers) but has anyone ever had the chance to surf them or know of anyone that has?

My buddies are competition fishermen here in Charleston. Their shark stories scare me away from trying to get out there. I am interested in hearing from someone that has attempted it.

Images
    yeah me as well, i know you have seen the same i have, but with great risk come great reward. i would attempt it but idk anyone that would want to go out on a big swell. i mean its always double the height then onshore. i bet there is even 23 footers.

Mine too. It's definitely sharky. But there are way worse spots in the world that are surfed regularly.
    That being said, I'd definitely be edgy out there

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    My buddies are competition fishermen here in Charleston. Their shark stories scare me away from trying to get out there. I am interested in hearing from someone that has attempted it.

Images
    I've heard rumors of a mysterious break off of capers somewhere that's only accessible by a boat. I don't have a boat so rumors are what they will remain.

I've been watching some outer breaks from Folly, and other places. Sharks roam, how do they know that they are on a outer sand bar in the dark of dawn. Under water it should look just like Folly @ 5:30 am.
    Last edited by GreenFlash35; Jun 5, 2013 at 09:34 AM.

Images
    Great thread! We got a few bars off Hunting, but I wouldn't try it during the summer. Maybe during the winter time though. I've heard stories about sharks out there anywhere from 10-20ft. and the shrimp boat guys say there is an abundance of large sharks out there.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDarkMatter View Post
    ...and the shrimp boat guys say there is an abundance of large sharks out there.
    The sharks are trailing the shrimp boats for the bycatch... something to think about when you see a line of 10 shrimp boats half a mile off the beach

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
    The sharks are trailing the shrimp boats for the bycatch... something to think about when you see a line of 10 shrimp boats half a mile off the beach
    Fishing boats do that all the time here and they do the gutting on the boat. But the afternoon onshore seabreeze brings the chum slick closer to shore. Hmmm

Images
    I'll go out there if anyone wants company. I'm serious.

Hey, anyone ever hit any of those Georgia islands?

I've always had a fascination with South Carolina's coast and I don't know why. Never surfed south of Frisco, NC.

Shoot, I even want to catch Tybee Island, GA some day. Yeah, I have unusual surf dreams. I'm not all, " Hawaii, Indo......Hawaii, Indo" I'm more like, "Ireland, Iceland, Alaska........and South Carolina." Plus, Charleston seems like a really cool city. Must have been a hell of a place during the colonial/plantation era. Poor Charleston doesn't get it's due as the important city it was back then. All you hear is Philly and Boston, but Charleston was a force to be reckoned with.

Well anyway, I want to hear some stories of lore aboot this area. Certainly somebody's got an adventurous spirit. I want exotic tales of southern charm, pirates, offshore uninhabited islands, and ghosts. Thank you.