LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    About ten years ago, this time of the year, these guys were surf fishing from a sandbar way off Capers Island I believe when there anchor released without them knowing. Supposedly one guy tried swimming for it but turned around and made it back to the sandbar without the boat. When they were late their wives called some fishing guides who went out there late to find the guys in head deep water standing on their fishing reels using the rods like clown stilts to keep their heads above water. I know this is a fishing story and dont remember the specifics but it shows that sh*t can hit the fan when you are way out there.

the plus side to that story is they were out there for awhile on a submerged sandbar without being eaten by a shark

Images
    Place 9: Shark Attacks in South Carolina
    Since 1837, 61 shark attacks and two fatalities have occurred in South Carolina [source: ISAF]. Though they occur all along the state’s coastline, the majority have occurred in Horry County, home to popular Myrtle Beach. As this list will reveal, more people in the water generally increases the chance of a shark attack.

this is a list of top ten, there a lot on the east coast.

http://www.southcarolinasharkfishing...shark-attacks/

Quote Originally Posted by shoreboy View Post
    the plus side to that story is they were out there for awhile on a submerged sandbar without being eaten by a shark
    I imagine, if true, those guys would have a new found respect for the ocean.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    even on the biggest hcane and noreaster swells ive never seen the south end sandbars go off to a point worth surfing but it has, i think its because there are more under water bars then the main bar really slowing down the swell also there are a lot more then just black tips in there bull,tigers and whites in large amounts compared to inshore but f it right. i know a few that surf by it when its on which is never and its shore pound fin breaker. there is also a few beaches in the sound i haven't been to since i was a little kid that have potential at the right direction and a few jetties. seen some big swells on boats while fishing dont see why they couldn't make it to the inside. last time i was at hunting there was a shark attack 2 hours after i got out of the water and we saw some 8 foots swimming by the line up while i was there, had been no swell for a while so there was about 20 people. the attack wasnt that bad though. your biggest risk is being a swimmer and drowning my neighbor lost his son saving his wife and kids to a rip.
    Not to Jinx us, but that was a little girl who got a mild bite right? That was the only reported attack in these SC waters in decades...

The beach I surf regularly hear gets cleared out a couple times each spring. We were down there in April and there were schools of sharks about 10 yards off shore.

I have a restaurant on the water on the intercoastal waterway (bayside) and I catch black tips and sting rays all day off our pier when I go fishing... Just little guys though...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Not to Jinx us, but that was a little girl who got a mild bite right? That was the only reported attack in these SC waters in decades...

The beach I surf regularly hear gets cleared out a couple times each spring. We were down there in April and there were schools of sharks about 10 yards off shore.

I have a restaurant on the water on the intercoastal waterway (bayside) and I catch black tips and sting rays all day off our pier when I go fishing... Just little guys though...
    I believe so but I was told by a family member there was a attack the day I was out. But we did have a attack like 10 years ago I believe, so some got a nice chunk out of thier leg. Clearing happen a few times a year from school sharks as I've said before head out to the sounds I've gotten 400tigers all day long fun catch but were all out for tarps and cobia, buddy of mine had a 300 pound tarp bit in half lol.

The picture I attached is from the Cape Romain shoal - it's a picture of a local Dr in Charleston.

As for shark attacks, until recently, South Carolina held the world record for a tiger shark 1,780lbs, caught from the Cherry Grove pier - a pier, not offshore.

During leatherneck nesting, big tigers are here, our water is just too murky to see them - thank goodness. There are plenty of swimmers and surfers who 'go missing' during nesting season and I often wonder, are they victims of one of the largest predatory sharks in an area known for producing the largest of the species or where they overcome by the rip currents that choppy 2 foot waves generate? Sometimes, boards are recovered, but very rarely a body. Who's to say? But I for one, do not surf our outer shoals, inlets or river mouths when turtles are nesting.

I'm not a turtle.
    Last edited by GreenFlash35; Dec 11, 2013 at 01:14 AM.

And ain't scared .
    Last edited by GreenFlash35; Dec 11, 2013 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shoreboy View Post
    ...in head deep water standing on their fishing reels using the rods like clown stilts to keep their heads above water.
    MacGyver would be oh so proud. You'd think those kind of smarts would have kept them out of trouble in the first place.