LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mike228 View Post
    I started surfing a year ago on a 7' fun and have been at it consistently. I'm not catching as many waves as I would like to and want to purchase a longboard. I have my eye on a used Valaric 9'9" squash tail. It is only slightly wider than 22" The price is in my budget and I like that it is shaped by a local guy. I am concerned that 9'9" might be too long though. I am 6'0" 182 lbs. I want something for small days to shoulder high and would like to eventually start nose riding. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Bro- this sounds like a perfect board. Just go for it. Everyone goes nuts over the length of a board- when truthfully there are many other characteristics of a board that will change the way a board handles then just the length. I had a 9'0, 9'2 and currently have a 9'4 and a 9'6 and i can not tell the differnece in tghe legth affecting the way the board rides or the challenge of paddling out with a longboard in bigger surf (OH). NOW- if you are comparing a classic longboard shape to a high performance shape- there will be major differences- Even with paddling out.

Just go for it- you will thank me later when you are catching all the waves on a waist hi day- getting long rides all the way to the beach- having fun and cruzing on the nose in style bro! what what.. now im excited!!!

Personal option- i would rather ride a 9'9 over a 9'0.... your not going to notice 9 inches if you dont ride longboards very often...

ok- can someone please spell check my post? the auto spellcheck is not working. Thanks guys.

Images
    Thanks for all the input. I ended up picking it up today. Its a used Valaric "narrowed-nose captain's log" 9'9' x 22 5/8" x 2 5/8". It's only 16 1/2" at the but at this point I need to improve my turning before I get to nose riding anyways so I think the narrower nose will be beneficial for. I didn't think I would find a better log for less than the $500 I paid for this one.
    WOW!!! great to hear! I should have read the rest of the post before i posted!!! your stoked!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Dude, watch Barefoot Adventures or Hollow Days. Robert August at Barking Sands and Phil Edwards at Pipeline. Good stuff.
    Definitely will, love watching some crafty footwork on a LB in big surf

If I end up being half as good as Hynson and August I'll be satisfied
    Ya man, just pay attention to the footwork, crazy stuff

I highly recommend a DVD called "Longboard Habit". They have some clips on youtube, which is nice since the DVD is hard to find, but the DVD is great. 3 hours of longboard surfing. Tons of surfers whose style range from progressive to traditional, and some guys on twin fin and single fin short boards. Chad Marshall, CJ Nelson, Joel Tudor, Taylor Jensen, Kassia Meador, a lot of Mailbu surfers. Also a cool feature on the wedge, and that big Swamis swell from 10 years ago.
    Last edited by bassplayer; Jun 7, 2013 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayer View Post
    I highly recommend a DVD called "Longboard Habit". They have some clips on youtube, which is nice since the DVD is hard to find, but the DVD is great. 3 hours of longboard surfing. Tons of surfers whose style range from progressive to traditional, and some guys on twin fin and single fin short boards. Chad Marshall, CJ Nelson, Joel Tudor, Taylor Jensen, Kassia Meador, a lot of Mailbu surfers. Also a cool feature on the wedge, and that big Swamis swell from 10 years ago.
    I just checked out some of the clips on youtube: definitely some awesome stuff. Thanks for the share.