LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work/Surf

Images

Work/Surf

So, aside from the lack of swell, generally, here in Low Country, I have been working a TON since I moved here and opened up a large waterfront restaurant on Hilton Head Island's bayside 8 months ago... I watch the cams all the time, surf when I can, but still have been missing mother ocean while working so much.

What is the answer? 7 days ago, my investor had a meeting with me when I came home from a wedding in Maryland to tell me: guess what, he just purchased the ONLY ocean front restaurant on the island, and its MASSIVE. So for the past 6 days, I have been grinding 24/7 to get things up and running. I have to open a restaurant, fine dining with over 10000 square feet, not including the beach bar that we bought with it, in 13 days total. 6 days left.

Good news? I have 2 boards in my office with trunks and a towel. To check the surf, I simply look out the window, or better yet, walk out to our poolside beach bar that we now own, directly on the beach....

Working 7 days a week, almost all day has never felt so good. This brings new meaning to: "Hey guys, im taking an hour break" and then using the resorts showers and getting back inside...

Stress level at an all new high... Surf potential just took a major leap forward though... Beats fishing on the bayside pier when I get some downtime...

Sweet! Funny how things work themselves out.

Better to take a break to work than not have a job to break from... The more work we put in while we're young, the earlier we'll be done working
    Good luck with the new spot

I'm very fortunate that the naval base where I work is right on the beach. I bring my board to work at least three times a week and am able to put in a morning, noon, or late afternoon session. Sometimes I'll go out twice. Free parking and no crowds. I count my blessings. Getting out in the morning before work, now that the showers have been turned back on, is nice.

Zach, congrats and good luck to you!!

Images
    Congrats on the new set up, hope it all works out and helps you score a few more waves.

*Wait a minute, this just dawned on me...maybe the restaurant can host an SI holiday event. I know Clemson is on Thanksgiving, maybe we can do kwanza there?
    Last edited by seldom seen; Jun 7, 2013 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Congrats on the new set up, hope it all works out and helps you score a few more waves.

*Wait a minute, this just dawned on me...maybe the restaurant can host an SI holiday event. I know Clemson is on Thanksgiving, maybe we can do kwanza there?
    Festivus for the rest of us!
    What should we do for the feats of strength?

Hey, do Senior Members on here get a discount? LOL

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    Festivus for the rest of us!
    What should we do for the feats of strength?
    I think there's only one answer to that...bench off!

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    I think there's only one answer to that...bench off!
    beat me to it!

good on ya, zach! congrats on your success!

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    Better to take a break to work than not have a job to break from... The more work we put in while we're young, the earlier we'll be done working
    Good luck with the new spot
    Take this advice from yer ol' Uncle Cheech. get as many waves as you can while you can. Born 7/31/55, but 5/5/05 is the date I became an Adult. that's when I started my company and lost my workman comp eligibility, and short term disability insurance. When you're a big lumbering lummox, who gets disabled every 10 years ago, there's a good possibility of not being able to provide for family. before 05, I'd go out from 2' to "Why?" because if I got hurt, I'd still get a check.