LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    And Gaff, I'm going to hit you up if the Wife and I end up going to Encinitas to visit my little sis this year. Make sure there's waves 'cause I NEED to fondle that Qualifier!

BTW, am I seeing the 1.10 cf volume correctly? I thought it had more if that's the case.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    I would just like to add that I get barreled on my 9'6 all the time.
    I agree...getting barreled on a fast solid wave on a longboard is an amazing feeling. So much momentum guideing a nine foot board really fast down the line and through a barrel section. Surprisingly easy to do as well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 34thStreetSurfing View Post
    Also, I've just assumed but never really asked anyone, do you usually use a bigger board in the winter because you're wearing all the rubber? This winter was the first winter I tried riding the same board I do all summer, and I didn't have the best results. I usually use a 6'4 with a ton of volume, but this winter I tried riding like a 5'8 fish and I felt I wasn't getting the same results. Does it really matter that much?

?
    Yes... for the winter i ride a board with more volumn... i personally like a board with alot more volumn when im wearing winter suit. It just makes it easier and I get way more waves... This winter i was riding one of those tuflite boards which really worked well! Im stoked on it... that main thing is to have a board that floats and paddles better- not always just a board with more volumn... ya... drop the 5'8 if your not getting good waves... go for the 6'4 if you already have it... but winters over... so back on the 5'8

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    I would just like to add that I get barreled on my 9'6 all the time.
    I totally agree- its not the board - its the barrel, your form and surfing ability. I love getting shacked on a longboard!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    I agree...getting barreled on a fast solid wave on a longboard is an amazing feeling. So much momentum guideing a nine foot board really fast down the line and through a barrel section. Surprisingly easy to do as well.
    I feel like you can't fall on a longboard in the winter though. That much weight being thrown around with you underneath in a nice hollow winter wave seems a little sketchy to me. And taking waves on the head doesn't sound too fun either.

Quote Originally Posted by 34thStreetSurfing View Post
    taking waves on the head doesn't sound too fun either.
    That's the best part!

I agree with a lot of what's been said already. Along with the, "it depends on the wave" idea, I can only add that I like a bit more flex in my board when it's super hollow, especially when the bottom is dropping out and you're taking off sort of under the lip. Some added flex will let the board conform to the wave face better, which gives you better rail and fin set. It also give you more overall rocker when you need it, which is when your stuffing yourself into a really tight, curvy pocket.

Images
    How do boards get more "flex" does it have to do with the amount of glassing shapers use?

Lots of factors influence a board's flex pattern... Thickness, stringer, glass schedule, and resin type used are major influences. Foil, length, and bottom/deck contours come after that, IMO, along with the use of rail channels, tail rail patches, etc.

^Sick board!

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Yep.

See how it's all wide where your chest would go? That means there's more foam there.

Here's the profile to give a better idea:

Rails are all thin, but it's thick in the middle.
    Lot of rocker on this board and the nose is needle sharp.

Long, drawn out tail with the trailing fin way down near the end of the board, about a mile south of the other two.

Makes steep drops, goes real fast, but still stalls and turns pretty well for a 6'8". I like it, the 5-10 days a year I get to use it.

Oh yeah, those Soars work pretty good, thanks nj42.