LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,250
    Paddington, I have to second this observation!!

  2. #32
    a biggie was spotted off Atlantic city yesterday.... 14footer... ripped up dorsal fin. looked pretty bold.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    You know, I'm not buying some of the bravado displayed on the internet over here. Just not buying it.

    Like, a huge South African, shark week, dorsal fin appears 10 yards away and SUP dudes are paddling at it? While the rest of the dudes just hang out uneffected? Dude, that whole line-up would have cleared the F out.

    Also all of this, " Oh I just lift my hands and feet out of the water," stuff is ridiculous. They see your board, fellas. The bigger sharkies want a satisfying meal, they think you are seal or turtle. They ain't searching for limbs. They think your board resembles their favorite foods.

    Yeah, your board will protect you. It's a real barrier. Just hide your feet. Problem solved.

    I do belive there is some psuedo-machismo going down on the internet here. Jeez, now I'm not be insultive, but most of y'all don't even surf by yourselves. That sketches most of y'all out. And now everybody's fearless of one of earth's most profificient hunters.

    Yeah, I'm not buying it. I think practically everybody on here would be hightailing back to shore if they even thought "shark."
    You don't have to buy it PJB, some peole just don't care enough to be scared like that. I surf New Smyrna Beach and Ponce Inlets at sunrise normally, many times by myself. I usually don't even think about it, but if something brushes me or I see something that I know is NOT a dolphin, i'll sit quiet for a minute, hands / feet on deck (i know it doesn't matter if it's a big shark, but it does if it's small) and then when I can't see anything I resume my paddling. Nothing macho about it, nothing smart about it either, I just simply don't care enough to be scared about something that may or may not be a shark. You might spend your entire session worrying about getting tagged by something, but to me that takes all the fun out of surfing, unless you enjoy the feeling of fear... idk
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; Jun 13, 2013 at 04:33 PM.

  4. #34
    I hear you with the small ones. If you see a little guy, especially in Fla. where you're used to it, then it's ok to chill and pick your feet up.
    But if you see a monster fin and you know it's a big white, you are getting out. And you are scared sh*tless. I don't care who you are.
    It's one thing to get a bite on the foot. It's another to be near something that can bite you in half. Even if it's just curious. The "test nibble" from a white can really ruin your day

    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    You don't have to buy it PJB, some peole just don't care enough to be scared like that. I surf New Smyrna Beach and Ponce Inets at sunrise normally, many times by myself. I usually don't even think about it, but if something brushes me or I see something that I know is NOT a dolphin, i'll sit quiet for a minute, hands / feet on deck (i know it doesn't matter if it's a big shark, but it does if it's small) and then when I can't see anything I resume my paddling. Nothing macho about it, nothing smart about it either, I just simply don't care enough to be scared about something that may or may not be a shark. You might spend your entire session worrying about getting tagged by something, but to me that takes all the fun out of surfing, unless you enjoy the feeling of fear... idk

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    5,299
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    The "test nibble" from a white can really ruin your day
    Or make you bleed out.

  6. #36
    Yeah.. But it was 30 miles off AC.

    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    a biggie was spotted off Atlantic city yesterday.... 14footer... ripped up dorsal fin. looked pretty bold.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,687
    Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    I hear you with the small ones. If you see a little guy, especially in Fla. where you're used to it, then it's ok to chill and pick your feet up.
    But if you see a monster fin and you know it's a big white, you are getting out. And you are scared sh*tless. I don't care who you are.
    It's one thing to get a bite on the foot. It's another to be near something that can bite you in half. Even if it's just curious. The "test nibble" from a white can really ruin your day
    Agreed 100%, luckily i've never had such encounter, but I can guarantee you if I DID see a GW or Bull of that size coming at me i'm outta there for sure... no BS

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hammonton, NJ
    Posts
    1,557
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    You don't have to buy it PJB, some peole just don't care enough to be scared like that. I surf New Smyrna Beach and Ponce Inets at sunrise normally, many times by myself. I usually don't even think about it, but if something brushes me or I see something that I know is NOT a dolphin, i'll sit quiet for a minute, hands / feet on deck (i know it doesn't matter if it's a big shark, but it does if it's small) and then when I can't see anything I resume my paddling. Nothing macho about it, nothing smart about it either, I just simply don't care enough to be scared about something that may or may not be a shark. You might spend your entire session worrying about getting tagged by something, but to me that takes all the fun out of surfing, unless you enjoy the feeling of fear... idk
    Still not buying it.

    You just don't care, huh? Does that mean your are a disaffected, disenfranchised person who has nothing to live for, hence you just "don't care?"

    Or are you just super el burro mas macho?

    New Smyrna Inlet by yourself. Is that even possible? You cover quite a lot of ground in Florida, huh? You seem to be ubiquitous...........Hey, you aren't one of them comic book superheroes Hollywood keeps making movies aboot are you? Wow, you must drive more than I used to.

    And when I'm talking sharks, people, I'm not talking two foot spinner sharks or sand sharks. Getting "brushed" by an unseen "monster of the deep" doesn't phase you at all, huh?

    As I said, I'm not buying it.

    I have this feeling that most people on here wouldn't paddle out at a deserted beach on a windy, cold, grey day by themselves.

    I have a feeling that most people on here would sprint paddle to shore at the sight of any ocean creature......

    I have a feeling some people create an enlarged image of themselves for the intranets

    And just for the record, if I see a dorsal fin, I'm out-of-there. Pretty stupid to play with something you can't see and that's completely unpredictable. The ocean isn't our realm. Paying it some respect seems the logical thing to do. If there is anything to fear on this planet, them sharks are the one.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    You know, I'm not buying some of the bravado displayed on the internet over here. Just not buying it.

    Like, a huge South African, shark week, dorsal fin appears 10 yards away and SUP dudes are paddling at it? While the rest of the dudes just hang out uneffected? Dude, that whole line-up would have cleared the F out.

    Also all of this, " Oh I just lift my hands and feet out of the water," stuff is ridiculous. They see your board, fellas. The bigger sharkies want a satisfying meal, they think you are seal or turtle. They ain't searching for limbs. They think your board resembles their favorite foods.

    Yeah, your board will protect you. It's a real barrier. Just hide your feet. Problem solved.

    I do belive there is some psuedo-machismo going down on the internet here. Jeez, now I'm not be insultive, but most of y'all don't even surf by yourselves. That sketches most of y'all out. And now everybody's fearless of one of earth's most profificient hunters.

    Yeah, I'm not buying it. I think practically everybody on here would be hightailing back to shore if they even thought "shark."
    As I said..I hauled ass back to shore :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    I have this feeling that most people on here wouldn't paddle out at a deserted beach on a windy, cold, grey day by themselves.
    This part I disagree with. Living in FL, the best time to surf is when it's windy, cold, and cloudy. Yeah the shark vibe goes way up but until I see / feel something that makes me uncomfortable, I'm staying in the water. I surfed most of january - may by myself only because it was nice. 60% or more was completely alone (no other surfers in the water or even beach goers) because they usually get rained out.
    Last edited by Indirect; Jun 13, 2013 at 04:51 PM.

  10. #40
    I agree with the whole idea of booking it to the beach when theres a large shark in the water, but like everyone is saying if its smaller you shouldn't ruin your whole day worrying about a shark considering i gotta a better shot of getting struck by lightning. Plus paddling your ass off towards the beach doesn't help either considering they are attracted to the comossion in the water witch can look like a injured fish. So in my opinion it isnt worth heading straight for the beach everytime i see a fin crossing my path