LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile JS Pier Pony VS. Stewart Fartknocker

hey guys, i am in the market for a new small wave board and have stumbled upon these two which really caught my eye. anyone have any experience with either or both of these boards? i am 6'1 and about 155 ish. any input would be great! thanks

Images
    I have 2 stewart boards and love them I suggest them. the s rails on my boards are awesome but idk about fartknocker never rode one.

they're similar boards, but I'd go pier pony for several reasons.

The main one being the fartknocker is made is china (global surf industries) - this will make it cheaper, but it's probably made by someone who's never even surfed. The stepped rails in the tail seem gimmicky to me - you either have a hard rail back there or you don't and that's not much volume reduction. "S" rails aren't patented, so, if they were so revolutionary, JS and others would be using them as well.

JS are made in Australia and there's a chance it'll actually be shaped by Jason Stevenson...or at least by a ghost shaper that's be surfing all his life.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    they're similar boards, but I'd go pier pony for several reasons.

The main one being the fartknocker is made is china (global surf industries) - this will make it cheaper, but it's probably made by someone who's never even surfed. The stepped rails in the tail seem gimmicky to me - you either have a hard rail back there or you don't and that's not much volume reduction. "S" rails aren't patented, so, if they were so revolutionary, JS and others would be using them as well.

JS are made in Australia and there's a chance it'll actually be shaped by Jason Stevenson...or at least by a ghost shaper that's be surfing all his life.
    makes sense!!! thanks! has anyone rode one of these bad boys??

I like the Pier Pony, but this is my small wave stick. A Tommy Moore slop rod, wave catching ability of a mini -sims, but much better performance capabilities.

i was just in my local shop checking out boards. JS are running $725 without fins and $745 with fins!!!! WTF. that is absolutely insane. i thought CI's were bad, but JS just surpassed CI. find a shop that sells something from a local shaper. a lot of the local guys are making very similar shapes to the big boys and are selling for $150 less. or go to the shaper yourself and get an even better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by SJerzSrfr View Post
    i was just in my local shop checking out boards. JS are running $725 without fins and $745 with fins!!!! WTF. that is absolutely insane. i thought CI's were bad, but JS just surpassed CI. find a shop that sells something from a local shaper. a lot of the local guys are making very similar shapes to the big boys and are selling for $150 less. or go to the shaper yourself and get an even better deal.
    That's crazy, you could get a brand new custom shaped Coil by Mike Daniel for $600 plus tax. WITH FINS! I'll never buy off the rack again, lesson learned...

Somebody has to pay rider salaries and marketing dollars. I honestly think of all the bigger brand boards, ...lost is the best of the bunch. Build quality (at least on Polys) seems to be done well, I know who their top finish shapers are and they are good, and for the price if you buy off the rack, ....lost is the best bet.
    Alayton, I would check into the ...lost Bottom Feeder and the Couch Potato if you want a fun crap wave board off the rack. I definitely wouldn't pay $700 plus for a crap wave groveler, no board no matter how rad the thing is going to make a weak knee high wave rippable enough to spend $700 plus for it.

I've got a bottom feeder and love it. It grovels well but you can surf it in much bigger waves, it's my go-to for anything chest high and down and I've ridden it up to a foot or two overhead with no issue...usually now from the chest to 1 ft overhead range I make the call based on how steep/hollow the wave is, on a mushier wave I'll still grab the bottom feeder. Mine came stock with controller quads with a nubster fifth fin - the nubster (IMO) really helps it to hold in bigger surf and makes it much more versatile

^ also I should mention, I'm 5'11", 170 and I ride my bottom feeder at 5'9", in hindsight, I'd get it at 5'8" or 5'7", but the benefit of the extra size is I can literally catch ankle snappers on it.