LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post ACL Longboarding + Looking For Longboard

Question for all of you out there that have had ACL/Meniscus reconstruction surgery.
    I'm about 5 months out from my surgery and just can't seem to get the same pump down the line or bottom turns like before the injury. Been riding one of the old man's logs lately and obviously that hasnt been a problem like my 5'10 thruster is.

On top of that i'm looking to pick up a log around the $300 range, preferable something in the 9'5" range, noserider and 2+1 setup prefered. Criagslist just doent work like it used to.

Images
    I'm about 4 months out from the same surgery. Started surfing about 2.5 months out. what type of reconstruction surgery did you have? The first time I blew out my ACL they used my patella tendon. Took FOREVER to recover. This time they used a cadaver tendon and totally different recovery. I was nearly 100% strength at 3 months.
    I've been so active surfing and running that I forget to do the exercises to keep strengthening. Good luck finding a board, but I would say that you'll be back if you keep working it out. They said at 6 months I should return to surfing and a full year until full strength and activity level. So you have some time yet.

Oh, and I do have a longboard that I might sell you; it was busted in half, repaired, and just needs sealed and painted. it was 9.0 walden, but probably is 4-5" shorter after the repair, and has a slight bend in it bc of the repair. I kinda want to take it out myself first to see how it surfs, but if you're interested let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by delawaredell View Post
    I'm about 4 months out from the same surgery. Started surfing about 2.5 months out. what type of reconstruction surgery did you have? The first time I blew out my ACL they used my patella tendon. Took FOREVER to recover. This time they used a cadaver tendon and totally different recovery. I was nearly 100% strength at 3 months.
    I've been so active surfing and running that I forget to do the exercises to keep strengthening. Good luck finding a board, but I would say that you'll be back if you keep working it out. They said at 6 months I should return to surfing and a full year until full strength and activity level. So you have some time yet.

Oh, and I do have a longboard that I might sell you; it was busted in half, repaired, and just needs sealed and painted. it was 9.0 walden, but probably is 4-5" shorter after the repair, and has a slight bend in it bc of the repair. I kinda want to take it out myself first to see how it surfs, but if you're interested let me know.
    I had an ACL replacement with my patella tendon as well. On top of that i had a full medial meniscal tear, removal of my lateral meniscus, and a hypofracture. Not a good time.

Had a torn meniscus surgery back in Jan. 2012. Stuck with PT and was back catching waves about 4 weeks later. Wore a neoprene brace for a good 6 months after that. 18 months later and some days there's still some pain and stiffness. I was really good about PT and I started a yoga regimen as well. Hang in there man, you'll get it back. Just don't push it to hard and surf as much as you can. Good luck.

by the way did you go with hamstrong or cadaver?

Quote Originally Posted by hinmo24t View Post
    by the way did you go with hamstrong or cadaver?
    I had patella tendon

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Had a torn meniscus surgery back in Jan. 2012. Stuck with PT and was back catching waves about 4 weeks later. Wore a neoprene brace for a good 6 months after that. 18 months later and some days there's still some pain and stiffness. I was really good about PT and I started a yoga regimen as well. Hang in there man, you'll get it back. Just don't push it to hard and surf as much as you can. Good luck.
    Had the same meniscus surgery about 10 years ago. I agree that yoga is great for recovery. Keep up with rehab and strength training. I have found that if I don't work out, my knee gives me problems.

Don't know where you live but CL in north florida is usually full of surfboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    Had the same meniscus surgery about 10 years ago. I agree that yoga is great for recovery. Keep up with rehab and strength training. I have found that if I don't work out, my knee gives me problems.

Don't know where you live but CL in north florida is usually full of surfboards.
    It states quite clearly where I live. Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

I'm okay in the longboard department though, thanks. The new crop of boards just ripened and is being harvested off the surfboard trees as I type this. So everyone is selling their old beaters.

Last edited by zaGaffer; Jun 13, 2013 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Scotch, Scotch, Scotch

youre pretty fresh outta that surgery still. I had full acl + meniscus when I was eighteen 8 years ago and I wasn't really well recovered for a good year. I also had meniscus scope again last winter. weight train/cycle/follow rehab steps carefully, and youll get it back. be patient with that. my leg now feels as strong as ever by the way.

I think it really depends on which leg. I imagine back foot would require more time before surfing again and extra care when you're back in the water. I'm goofy and tore my right ACL and lateral meniscus and was longboarding in 3 months (with a brace) and shortboardong soon after. It was summer so longboarding was all I could do anyways. Returning prior to 3 months is very dangerous because the tendon has yet to become a ligament. You'll feel fine before then but that's the nature of acl reconstruction surgery. 5 months is plenty of time to start surfing but I wouldn't say I was back 100% (for surfing & other sports) until 12 months.