LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nicaragua surf trip

Hi guys!
    I'm new to surfing and had a few questions for you guys. The only surfing I have done is SUP(stand up paddle). I really enjoyed it and want to get into it more. My first experience with traditional surfing will be later this year at the end of August. I have a trip planned to Nicaragua. I will be staying at a surf ranch in san juan del sur. So I guess I'm looking for any advice/tips you can give me. Anything about surfing in Nicaragua, or just surfing in general will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Take some lessons.... lots of lessons. START SMALL!!!

A 2' wave in Nica has more power than a 10' wave on the Great Lakes, so be prepared.

ha thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I heard the surf may be overhead during the time I'm there. Will this be impossible for a beginner? I skateboard and snowboard so I'm not new to board sports.

Not impossible, but definitely deadly. The only things other board sports will help you with is lower body and core strength and balance. Neither give you any experience in getting slammed by an overhead long period wave in 2' of water, being held down and taking a couple on the head afterward.

When the main spots are that big you can usually find a protected beach with smaller waves.

Bandidos en todos partes y ellos sodomizen te a la primer opportunidad.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Isn't that the main reason for going to Nica?

kindbud: Take a Costco size bottle of ky with you.

Images
    ***Insert popcorn eating emoticon***

Good luck man I stayed in Popoyo for a week last August and it was head high or bigger everyday, there's rock bottom at a lot of the spots, Santanas was mostly a sand bottom though, what breaks do you think you might be surfing?

that place is located on the outskirts of San Juan Del Sur. no waves in the actual bay of SJDS so you'll be surfing Maderas for the most part. Alot of backpackers traveling thru SJDS, tourists looking to party, learning to surf, etc.
    One of the more crowded spots but a mellow vibe for sure. a good wave for a beginner looking to learn and have a good time.
    a lesson or 2 won't hurt either.
    have fun!
    Last edited by gnurider7; Jun 12, 2013 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    thanks, you're a douche bag