LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ann arbor mi
    Posts
    8

    Nicaragua surf ranch

    Hi guys!
    I'm new to surfing and had a few questions for you guys. The only surfing I have done is SUP(stand up paddle). I really enjoyed it and want to get into it more. My first experience with traditional surfing will be later this year at the end of August. I have a trip planned to Nicaragua. I will be staying at a surf ranch in san juan del sur. So I guess I'm looking for any advice/tips you can give me. Anything about surfing in Nicaragua, or just surfing in general will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

  2. #2

    Stay away from surf ranch in San juan del sur

    The surf ranch is not for surfers...unless your goal is to stand around the bar and get drunk...they nickel and dime you to death. make it hard to use the shuttle to Remanso. Hard to use one of their really, really banged up boards, etc. We ended up getting our own boards and using the taxi service...among many, many, many other issues...but we came to surf and in the end they didn't really fit the bill for that.

    I guess if you want to travel to Nicaragua for a half-assed skate park, it would be an ok place to stay. Owner and front desk staff are not to be trusted. Beware.

    Security at the place is good, your stuff is safe. Rooms are 4 walls and the roof doesn't leak, but the doors do. There's a chlorinated pool so that's about the only decent thing there.

    Oh, don't be fooled...the air pad drop isn't operational and hasn't been for some time. Employees said it is permanently broken.

    Quote Originally Posted by kindbud View Post
    Hi guys!
    I'm new to surfing and had a few questions for you guys. The only surfing I have done is SUP(stand up paddle). I really enjoyed it and want to get into it more. My first experience with traditional surfing will be later this year at the end of August. I have a trip planned to Nicaragua. I will be staying at a surf ranch in san juan del sur. So I guess I'm looking for any advice/tips you can give me. Anything about surfing in Nicaragua, or just surfing in general will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by kindbud View Post
    Hi guys!
    I'm new to surfing and had a few questions for you guys. The only surfing I have done is SUP(stand up paddle). I really enjoyed it and want to get into it more. My first experience with traditional surfing will be later this year at the end of August. I have a trip planned to Nicaragua. I will be staying at a surf ranch in san juan del sur. So I guess I'm looking for any advice/tips you can give me. Anything about surfing in Nicaragua, or just surfing in general will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    So THAT's what S-U-P stands for, brah! I thought it was a slang salutation!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hammonton, NJ
    Posts
    1,557
    Images
    7
    HA, good one, Spicoli...

    Kindbud, I can tell by your Swellinfo handle that you already have half the battle won, due to your pursuit of the sticky nugs. It's all cake from there, dude.

    If you want general advice....well......just surf as much as you can. Experience is the name of the game and you already consume marijauna, so just enjoy the ride. You'll never get better at surfing from a computer. People can tell you this, and tell you that, but unless you actually go out and do it, nothing will be gained. Learning on your own is the way to go.

    Oh, watch out for wetsuits though. Thems very tricky pieces of rubber. If you do have a wetsuit question, instead of the computer, head to your nearest core surf shop and ax them. Look for the older zen guys, they'll know what's up. Don't buy online, support your bros at the local shop.

    Shoot, I was just checking out where you're from so I could recommend a surf shop......and you're from Michigan. Yoowza !! I always wanted to go to Michigan. Can't help you with shops there. You Great Lakes guys are cool. Make sure you go exploring this fall. Don't leave surfing to just oceanic trips. You have a wave producing lake in the region so make sure you hit it when you can. Wow, Ann Arbor, huh? A marijauna friendly community.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northern New England
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by lohelo View Post
    The surf ranch is not for surfers...unless your goal is to stand around the bar and get drunk...they nickel and dime you to death. make it hard to use the shuttle to Remanso. Hard to use one of their really, really banged up boards, etc. We ended up getting our own boards and using the taxi service...among many, many, many other issues...but we came to surf and in the end they didn't really fit the bill for that.

    I guess if you want to travel to Nicaragua for a half-assed skate park, it would be an ok place to stay. Owner and front desk staff are not to be trusted. Beware.

    Security at the place is good, your stuff is safe. Rooms are 4 walls and the roof doesn't leak, but the doors do. There's a chlorinated pool so that's about the only decent thing there.

    Oh, don't be fooled...the air pad drop isn't operational and hasn't been for some time. Employees said it is permanently broken.
    The Guerrilla Warfare continues on any thread about Nicaragua. Unreal. It would be so great if Lauren Ginsburg would chime in.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wilmington
    Posts
    2,340
    Bandits? Where are the damned bandits?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    3,588
    Images
    6
    If I remember correctly that is the thread that gave birth to NJSM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,362
    Banditos! Stay out of Nicaragua.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    If I remember correctly that is the thread that gave birth to NJSM.
    I need to learn more bout da tread dat gave birt to da shred.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    3,588
    Images
    6
    His first appearance was quite interesting.