LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Watch out for dangerous things there. Also to surf better, watch a couple surf videos. Then you will get barreled down dere

If you want a great book about banditos, South America, drug smuggling and crazy talk, try Cosmic Banditos by Allan Weisbecker (you in particular, PJB - one review says he out-gonzos Hunter S. Thompson - I bet you'd like it).

Sorry to derail the thread but it seemed pertinent.

Kingbud, the best advice I can give you is to get ripped before your trip. Surfing is a WORK OUT and if you aren't in surfing shape you're gonna have a bad time. Also, if you french fry when you're supposed to pizza you're gonna have a bad time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkstink View Post
    Kingbud, the best advice I can give you is to get ripped before your trip. Surfing is a WORK OUT and if you aren't in surfing shape you're gonna have a bad time. Also, if you french fry when you're supposed to pizza you're gonna have a bad time.
    Yes! Thought thats what you were getting at w/ the first "you're gonna have a bad time"...well played

Haha thanks man! Classic episode...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkstink View Post
    If you want a great book about banditos, South America, drug smuggling and crazy talk, try Cosmic Banditos by Allan Weisbecker (you in particular, PJB - one review says he out-gonzos Hunter S. Thompson - I bet you'd like it).

Sorry to derail the thread but it seemed pertinent.

Yeah, I've meant to read that(AW's Cosmic Banditos). I've read his other thangs. I kind of dig his, "I'm old, bitter, angry at everyone and disillusioned with the world," thing. Plus, he surfs.

I actually sent him a few emails back in 2005, and he responded which I give him credit for. Ha, he yelled at me because my first email to him, I had drank two bottles of cough syrup and couldn't believe that I was mildly tripping. I was forced into exile in Northern Virginia and was going nuts for real drugs. So, I heard aboot this cough syrup thang and gave it a whirl. I think I talked to him aboot Tyra Banks or something ?? Well it annoyed him !! LOL. He told me not to email him when I was high. LOL

Yeah, he should be a way bigger writer than he is. He's got the chops. And then there are all of these Oprah Book of the Month losers who can't write for sh!t. Ahh, the world is so unfair.

I have to get around to reading Thompson one of these days, too. Jeez, I procrastinate too much, and get cuaght up with watching things like Teen Mom. I don't know........I keep seeing quotes from Hunter Thompson and people act like they are prophetic or something, and they just don't do nothing for me. But I'll have to check him oot. Anybody have suggestions of which book to start with?

Oh Pinkstink, good South Park reference. Those dudes are the best. They satirize all the right stuff. They're the best.

Agreed! People who think South Park is stupid are stupid because it's all genius.

Also, really cool that you're already familiar with Weisbecker. Someone on here recommended him to me.

But anyways, I haven't read a lot of Hunter S. Thompson's stuff but if you're looking to get a better idea about the man, the myth, the legend, The Gonzo Papers might be a good place to start. He was a journalist so most of his work is articles for magazines. The Gonzo Papers and the Gonzo Papers Part II are compilations of articles so it's a great way to get a sense of his writing. Also cool to get a weird historical perspective. Outside of those I've only read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I'd love to read his story about the Hell's Angels but haven't come across it yet. I also read the one about the Kentucky Derby but can't remember where. Anywho, enjoy!