LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G&s

Images

G&s

My friend has an old g&s surfboard in pretty good shape and wants to know around how much she could sell it for. It doesn't have the dims on it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    anybody know anything about these boards?

My 1st board was a G&S... I loved it.

If it were made by Skip Frye (which it's not) it would be worth somewhere between $500-$1200. There was a Frye G&S listed for sale in San Clemente for $350 recently. It was in rough condition. As it sits, late 60's/early 70's G&S not a very collectible shape, maybe a $100 - $200 to the right buyer.

Here's a comp:

Old G&S singlefin surfboard - $100 (Normal Heights)

And here's a collectible shape in rough condition (bout 200$ too high if you ask me):

VINTAGE GORDON SMITH HOT CURL 8FT - $599 (CLAIREMONT)

And here's an old G&S longboard in really nice condition:

G&S Vintage longboard surfboard 9'8" - $600 (north county)

I'm no expert though.

I'm no expert either, but there are more G&S boards on the west coast. This could add value here in the east.
    But $250 or maybe more would be my guess. Not clear if it is water tight. And dimensions would help too.

Im no expert either, I actually know very little about older vintage boards but just wondering. Do those number mean its a 6'8, 24 wide, 3.5 thick? 24 wide seems pretty large to me. Or is that 4 a 9, I cant tell. Regardless anyone know what those numbers represent? Im curious

Bassmon I could be wrong, but I think the numbers on the stringer mean that it's the 2935th board made in 1968. Or it could be the 2935 board that whomever shaped it shaped. But who knows man, could be a G&S serial number too. Could be dims (crazy dims), but a lot of boards back then didn't have dims. I forget when shapers started putting dims on boards. A lot of board companies back in the day didn't let their shapers put their names on the boards they made either, that way it wouldn't detract from the brand name. That is unless their names had some weight (Frye put his wings on G&S boards). That's why Mickey Munoz and Terry Martin's Lightning Bolt boards say "Jerry Lopez". Some shapers would put secret, little marks on boards to indicate that they had shaped it, like the first Easter Eggs in the old Atari games (Adventure plug whoop)! lbsurfer could email G&S and they'd probably be able to tell him or her what's up with that board. Maybe, maybe not.

Hey lbsurfer, I bet that board's about a 7'6 x 21" x 2 3/4, how close am I?

i agree that you need the right buyer. but i doubt you would get any more than 200. its just not pristine it looks fun its not in bad shape but its super old and since theres nothing to make it more special than another of the same type, its just not that valuable in a money way. unless you can sell it to a total idiot. or someone who just really likes it and would pay more than 150 or 200

Your G & S dates around 1973 -1977 closer to 1975 due to "swallow tail" design and type of "G & S" decal logo on the deck and air brushed rails. Skip was shaping for Larry during that time period but since your board lacks "Frye Wings" so what a shame as it would certainly increase its value. Larry employed many notable shapers through out its early history as well as "in house" shapers too. Since your board lacks a particular "design" decal and "shaper" signature doesn't mean it doesn't have collectable value to the right buyer. Any classic board pricing depends on what buyer willing to pay for it as your "swallow" would appeal to those who appreciate the nostalgic era when surfboard designs/shapes were radically changing from traditional designs (pre-1969). This is not California where old G & S's are dime a dozen so fair price between $375 - $475 in its condition to a collector but if it had "Frye" wings this post would have been much shorter ....."SPF".

thanks zaGaffer. I thought those would be crazy dims and figured it was something else. Like I said I know very little about older boards, thanks for teaching me something new today.