LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Winter Trip Ideas?

    I know it might be early for this but I'm planning a trip somewhere in January... I've done a lot of research already for good places to surf in Jan, but I wanted to hear from you guys who have actually experienced it. I've heard PR is good, but I've also heard it's crowded.

    If anybody has been on a trip in the winter with little to no crowds, I'd love to hear about it. I just dig surfing in seclusion.

    Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    North Shore of Hawaii gets some swell and should be empty that time of year... There's a secret spot called Pipeline (don't tell anyone) that gets pretty hollow and you could score it by yourself!

    Seriously, I love Barbados. There will be some crowds, but nothing compared to PR. And you can always find an empty wave somewhere

  3. #3
    forget the warm water destinations, and go coldwater, much better like Peru or Nova Scotia or Vancouver

  4. #4
    PR is super sick if the stars line up and its not really crowded except rincon and san juan plenty of semi secret gems over there and when its bombing 2/3rds of the people in the line up are just spectating anyway

  5. #5
    I had been doing yearly winter trips to Costa Rica, Mexico, Australia, etc., avoiding Puerto Rico because I had heard so much about crowds there. Then, I finally went one year about 7 years ago and it wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought. So I went the next 3 winters in a row. Can't beat the short flight. Although if I had my pick of a spot to hit in January at this point it would be Ireland.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hammonton, NJ
    Posts
    1,557
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilman Photography View Post
    forget the warm water destinations, and go coldwater, much better like Peru or Nova Scotia or Vancouver
    YEAH !!!! Finally !!! Someone who isn't a warm-weathered surfing sheep. Oh, have I ever mentioned Iceland. Hey Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, where's my money you promised to hype Iceland?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,778
    Quote Originally Posted by ragdolling View Post
    I had been doing yearly winter trips to Costa Rica, Mexico, Australia, etc., avoiding Puerto Rico because I had heard so much about crowds there. Then, I finally went one year about 7 years ago and it wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought. So I went the next 3 winters in a row. Can't beat the short flight. Although if I had my pick of a spot to hit in January at this point it would be Ireland.
    +1, I think everybody says how crowded it is to keep people from going. I've found PR to be relatively uncrowded compared to a lot of spots back home. Maybe I just got lucky (twice)

  8. #8
    It's like anywhere else really. There's a few spot that get crazy packed when there's swell, especially during holiday weeks.
    But there's plenty of spots that are not crowded that are way better than your home break. If you have a car, you can score waves every day without a crowd.

    But I still like Barbados better.

    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    +1, I think everybody says how crowded it is to keep people from going. I've found PR to be relatively uncrowded compared to a lot of spots back home. Maybe I just got lucky (twice)

  9. #9
    Enjoying warm weather is not sheep mentality. I don't mind surfing cold waves, but if I had a choice I'd go tropical every day... I can surf cold waves at home. I can't surf in crystal clear 85 degree water at home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    YEAH !!!! Finally !!! Someone who isn't a warm-weathered surfing sheep. Oh, have I ever mentioned Iceland. Hey Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, where's my money you promised to hype Iceland?

  10. #10
    How about June trips when the swell blows in the Northeast? I'm in Miami for a few days in a week and a half and have some open time where I could go from there to somewhere in the Caribbean for 48-72 hours. Any ideas of a quick and easy trip? Miami and Ft. Lauderdale both have tons of direct flights to all places south. I'm Jonesing for some stoke after the spring we had and then now nothing.

Tags for this Thread