LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Take them with a grain of salt(what the hell does that even mean)
    there ya go:

"(With) a grain of salt," (or "a pinch of salt") in modern English, is an idiom which means to view something with skepticism, or to not take it literally.[1]
    History

Theories of the phrase's origin include Pliny the Elder's Naturalis Historia, regarding the discovery of a recipe for an antidote to a poison.[2] In the antidote, one of the ingredients was a grain of salt. Threats involving the poison were thus to be taken "with a grain of salt," and therefore less serious.

The Latin phrase cum grano salis ("with a grain of salt") is not what Pliny wrote. It is constructed according to the grammar of modern European languages rather than Classical Latin. Pliny's actual words were addito salis grano ("add a grain of salt").

An alternative account says that the Roman general Pompey believed he could make himself immune to poison by ingesting small amounts of various poisons, and he took this treatment with a grain of salt to help him swallow the poison. In this version, the salt is not the antidote. It was taken merely to assist in swallowing the poison.

The Latin word salis means both "salt" and "wit," so that the Latin phrase "cum grano salis" could be translated as both "with a grain of salt" and "with a grain (small amount) of wit." [3]

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    there ya go:

"(With) a grain of salt," (or "a pinch of salt") in modern English, is an idiom which means to view something with skepticism, or to not take it literally.[1]
    History

Theories of the phrase's origin include Pliny the Elder's Naturalis Historia, regarding the discovery of a recipe for an antidote to a poison.[2] In the antidote, one of the ingredients was a grain of salt. Threats involving the poison were thus to be taken "with a grain of salt," and therefore less serious.

The Latin phrase cum grano salis ("with a grain of salt") is not what Pliny wrote. It is constructed according to the grammar of modern European languages rather than Classical Latin. Pliny's actual words were addito salis grano ("add a grain of salt").

An alternative account says that the Roman general Pompey believed he could make himself immune to poison by ingesting small amounts of various poisons, and he took this treatment with a grain of salt to help him swallow the poison. In this version, the salt is not the antidote. It was taken merely to assist in swallowing the poison.

The Latin word salis means both "salt" and "wit," so that the Latin phrase "cum grano salis" could be translated as both "with a grain of salt" and "with a grain (small amount) of wit." [3]
    Hey thanks, man. Yeah I know how to use the phrase but didn't know nothing aboot it's orgin or where the literal actually came from.

Pump, you have done a great service to the community. Education is fantastic. Plus this could be something I encounter on Jeopardy with Alex Trebek.

Hey Pump, keep your pants pulled up, ok. Don't want you to get a ticket or anything...........

I honestly had no idea this thread would have legs.

If you need to refuel it, through some political crap in there. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroevol View Post
    If you need to refuel it, through some political crap in there. LOL
    I saw Barack Obama's dog pooping in the ocean. And there was a US Marine holding an umbrella over him.

Images
    Fish poop in the ocean too, but you don't hear anyone complaining about that.

Dog crap in public places, in a addition to being gross and in violation of local ordinance in most municipalities, is a know reservoir of pathogens that cause diseases in humans, including cystitis and neonatal meningitis. That's why there's poop scoop laws... because there's enough E. coli in dog waste to cause beach closings in many towns if there weren't.

Mannisses, do you think [B]Paddington Jetty Bear[B] has sabotaged your thread, OR made your thread?? I say it could go either way.

PJB, hope that's cool... Amigo?

my dog never defecates (happy Bear??) in the water but now I am going to train her to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by OC&SC-83 View Post
    Mannisses, do you think [B]Paddington Jetty Bear[B] has sabotaged your thread, OR made your thread?? I say it could go either way.

PJB, hope that's cool... Amigo?
    Hard to say. These threads usually keep focus for about 2 responses. By the way, I hear there are bandits about in various Nica Surf Camps. Supposedly some gnome looking guy in a red wetsuit weilding a machine gun was taking peoples stuff.

Also - I think its time we put out a missing persons report for BubonikPhoniks. I sure miss his posts. His avatar always made me hungry.