LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Possible gruvi sighting today....

I woke up super early for a dawn patrol sesh today, wasn't bad...one set of 23 footers came through and I shotted off the MD/VA line. def wasn't as rad as the honeyton pier, but to it's thier own.

It was totally shredgnar to the tenth power, so as I'm paddling in around lunchtime, I see this guy walking up with what looked like a brand new board and he had blue cheese all over the sides of his mouth. I got out and sat on the beach for a bit...

he started flailing his arms in what looked like an attempt to paddle out and just sat there in 2' of water forever. Needless, I say more.

Was that you gruvi?

[QUOTE=EmassSpicoli;172532]

Law of specificity rules all. Want to be a better paddler? Go out and paddle, and paddle fast and hard in some choppy crap. For hours and days.... However, since getting on the water 4-7 days a week, I've lifted only once every 1-2 weeks if that. Gained muscle, lost fat, and got stronger....

Paddle, paddle, paddle, paddle!...
    Getting out on the water at least 4 times a week, my trips to the gym and weight training have dropped to maybe once a week. I run 4-6 miles 3 times a week and usually do 8-10 sets of 40 push-ups en route.

Images
    GRUVI!!! Your back!! Hey Everyone - gruvis is backis!
    Wow I'm gone for 3 days and look at all that has happened! GRUVI you can't leave for so long and you have to start surfing more or you will always get the business on here -as PBJ would say... Btw GRUVI you never told us about this dark and damp basement that you have ??? Is that where you have your
    Pizza oven installed??

Quote Originally Posted by gruvi View Post
    These are the little things I did do last year (groin/shoulder stretches etc.) that I forgot to do this time around. I was just trying to get wet fast and found it was only counterproductive. The next time out will be less hasty.
    Off on a tangent, has anyone come up with a good way to encourage other like skilled surfers to join up for shared sessions? The old pizza offer was an obvious failure so what are other surefire ways to make comraderie and friendships in the surf? Or are there just that many lone wolves out in the soup that can't be bothered to hangf?
    Goodvibes told you from the getgo the pizza was a bad way to go.Your learning Gruv.

Off on a tangent, has anyone come up with a good way to encourage other like skilled surfers to join up for shared sessions? The old pizza offer was an obvious failure so what are other surefire ways to make comraderie and friendships in the surf? Or are there just that many lone wolves out in the soup that can't be bothered to hang?
    I think most surfers are of the "lone wolf" variety you describe. Some are and some aren't but to it's their own. However, I believe you may be in luck, my friend. Ya see, there's this fella that's travelling up the east coast (some might call it impacting the coast) from Florida this surfing season seeking the same sort of camraderie and friendship in the surf as you are.

His name is Wayne. You can spot him because he's usually carrying a good book and is often known to be thumping upon it. He was supposed to be in the OBX in June. By the time he makes it up your way, you ought to have regained all of your paddling strength from the surefire excercises recommended in this thread. He's also accepting donated surfboards to give away to others so you could get rid of some of those extra boards that have never touched water. I'm not sure if he is fond of pizza or even bleu cheese for that matter. He's mostly out for the camraderie and friendship, in or out of the water, especially if you are a young male. Check it out. Needless, I say more.

Images
    what happen to gruvi?? did the season already finish??? where did he go???

Hey Dudes! Its been a long while and I began my surf season in earnest again this past week. It is like starting all anew again after not pumpin waves since last October.
    I was at my fave break this past week and waves were super inviting, but I discovered I lost all of the accessory muscle strength I had last year that helped me get to the line up!
    I plan to be back to the soup in a couple weeks, and before I do I want some pointers for weight bearing exercise that will make it easier for me to have that paddle strength needed to get out there again.
    Recently I went out in my 3/2 on my custom stick, a frierson "shortboard" and I feel it was mostly the effort of trying paddling a shortboard, versus my accostomed funboard, that made me go noodle armed at the break area, and I was left powerless to get beyond it.
    Now before I'm told to get back on the funboard, or told to get my virgin Bing soaked, I am asking for help with any dumb bell exercises I might be able to do until I get out again. So I can actually have strength to paddle past the breaks effortlessly on my SB.
    So far I do basic curls, extensions, rows etc with 30# bells, but are there better land locked techniques one can perform to help paddle strength while still landlocked? I don't have the luxury of a body of water close by to literally paddle around in when I'm away from the island.
    I should note to you I have an indo board I've used that has not been touched yet this season, but I don't believe it will help with my paddling needs (though I will be using it again soon), however add this item to my repoitoire when you advise me on strength gaining techniques to help my surfing.
    Alright Dudes, its great to be back and I hope to meet more friends soon to enjoy the stoke this season. Hopefully we can friend up on island this summer and be legend together
    Thanks for helping with tips and peace!
    G

Heres what I do:

1 learned how to surf on a shortboard so i would get one of those
    2 Walk the length of an 8 mile barrier island 3 days a week, and canoe 4 miles at least twice a week.
    3. live on the beach where you surf so you can see what the waves do at different times
    4. skateboard, every damn day. because it hurts more than surfing and will help you with hacks and aerial maneuvers if your skating a ramp/bowl. (even stairs and handrails help with floaters and tricks where you have to "jump down" the lip per-say)
    5. know your limits
    6. Don't listen to haters, be respectful of locals, and surf as many different spots as you can.
    7 get off swellinfo and into the water, even if it means quitting all your jobs and selling **** on craigslist

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    I think most surfers are of the "lone wolf" variety you describe. Some are and some aren't but to it's their own. However, I believe you may be in luck, my friend. Ya see, there's this fella that's travelling up the east coast (some might call it impacting the coast) from Florida this surfing season seeking the same sort of camraderie and friendship in the surf as you are.

His name is Wayne. You can spot him because he's usually carrying a good book and is often known to be thumping upon it. He was supposed to be in the OBX in June. By the time he makes it up your way, you ought to have regained all of your paddling strength from the surefire excercises recommended in this thread. He's also accepting donated surfboards to give away to others so you could get rid of some of those extra boards that have never touched water. I'm not sure if he is fond of pizza or even bleu cheese for that matter. He's mostly out for the camraderie and friendship, in or out of the water, especially if you are a young male. Check it out. Needless, I say more.
    Hahahahaha, Wayne! Good stuff. Welcome back trev.

I was working a stretch of 12 hour shifts, hence my disappearance from this thread. I will be surfing more this summer, but not able to do a daily visit to my break due to I like having a job that lets me buy all kinds of different sticks; And I am sure I will eventually buy a board that meets my skill set so I can pick up peaks with my CI brahs soon!!!

I was working a stretch of 12 hour shifts, hence my disappearance from this thread. I will be surfing more this summer, but not able to do a daily visit to my break due to I like having a job that lets me buy all kinds of different sticks; And I am sure I will eventually buy a board that meets my skill set so I can pick up peaks with my CI brahs soon!!!
    You've got it! Buying lots of boards is way more important than actually riding them.
    Last edited by Erock; Jun 18, 2013 at 06:40 PM.