LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Save Trestles - June 19 San Diego Regional Water Quality Board meeting Toll Rd SR-241

San Onofre State Beach/Trestles is being threatened again, and we need your help!

On Wednesday, June 19 the San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board is expected to make a decision regarding the Transportation Corridor Agencies' (TCA) permit to build the first "segment" of the SR-241 toll road extension. We can't let that happen.

Can you attend the meeting in San Diego at 1:00 p.m. to demonstrate opposition to the toll road? Your presence and public comment can make a big difference.

WHAT: Water Quality Control Board Meeting regarding TCA's permit for first 5 miles of road.
    WHEN: Wednesday, June 19 @ 1:00 p.m.
    WHERE: Water Quality Control Board Meeting Room: 9174 Sky Park Court, San Diego, CA 92123

Since 2011 -- three years after the California Coastal Commission and the Bush Administration shot down the proposed extension of SR-241 through San Onofre State Beach -- the TCA has been proposing to build the remainder of the road in "segments" - five miles at a time. "Segmenting" is illegal under state and federal law. Not only does TCA's plan circumvent important laws, this approach makes absolutely no planning sense as it will create a "cul-de-sac of traffic" for San Juan Capistrano, and would end at a road that is not even built yet. More recently, the TCA held a "special meeting" to approve plans for the "Tesoro Extension," the first five miles of the 241 Toll Road extension, without any public workshops or sufficient public notice.

So can you help stop this plan in its tracks by attending the meeting on June 19?

The Save San Onofre Coalition has resurrected the California Environmental Quality Act lawsuit that challenged the original 16-mile proposal in 2006, bringing the fight to Save Trestles back into the courtroom.

Please join this group and fellow park lovers in San Diego on June 19 and take a stand for San Onofre State Beach/Trestles.

Thanks for supporting state parks!

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Goldstein
    President, California State Parks Foundation

How does this jeopardize Trestles? By the article it just sounds like they're against a toll road.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    How does this jeopardize Trestles? By the article it just sounds like they're against a toll road.
    The toll road has always been the problem. That's always been the threat to Trestles. Now the issue is that the construction of the toll road will occur within the San Mateo Creek Watershed. That's the creek that feeds Trestles the cobblestones. Otherwise it would be just like every other beach break in North San Diego County. What the surfing community is concerned about is that construction along the creek watershed has the potential to cause run off which could damage or pollute San Mateo Creek and in turn the breaks. Since the backers of the Toll Road have attempted to circumvent the environmental oversight process, this is a legitimate concern. Now they're just trying to get their foot in the door by building just 5 miles of it; but it ain't gonna stop there. The end game is to do the same thing along North Pendleton as has been done to the rest of SoCal, turn into one big strip mall and huge tracts of cookie-cutter McMansions.

Maybe it's in my head, but when you surf a break that's near an outlet for a lot of runoff, the water doesn't taste as clean to me. The water out here is dirty. I've gotten out the water in IB and my skin was straight up burning before. Trestles, San Onofre and Pendleton represents the bigget strip of beach between Rosarito and Topango that doesn't have a house or a strip mall on it. Not only that, but the San Mateo watershed is still relatively undeveloped. The water just tastes so much cleaner up there.

That's reason enough for me. I'm not anti-capitalism or development; but I do think that there are places that are just too important to our posterity to screw up for the sake of expansion and economic growth.

Trestles happens to be one of them.

Erock, Opposition to the toll road isn't based on the idea that the breaks will be ruined, but rather that building a toll road through San Onofre State Park is an ill-conceived plan that violates California's Coastal Act -- a law which in part, regulates how shoreline areas can be developed.

The construction and operation of the road would likely lead to environmental damage, loss of habitat for endangered species, a potential degradation of water quality and the watershed, the loss of park camping, as well as the destruction of an 8,000+ year old village and sacred, burial grounds of the indigenous Acjachemen people.

One of the biggest gripes is that the TCA has not performed adequate environmental analysis or suggested alternative routes. The courts have agreed in the past that the proposed route through San Onofre State Park is the most environmentally destructive route.

Would a toll road ruin the waves? Maybe. A loss of the watershed could alter the migration of sand and cobblestones, forever changing the breaks, but understand that the cobblestones that make those breaks great are thousands of years in the making. Could that be undone overnight? I dunno, but water quality could definitely change rapidly. But nobody knows the real impacts because they haven't ever been studied at Trestles.

But Trestles isn't just about the wave, it's about the whole area -- and there is NO doubt that the toll road would be destructive to the surrounding environment as well as the creatures that live there -- and that's the argument that must be presented in court.

Bumpity bumpity bump

Images
    Well, putting the valid aforementioned reasons aside, I am pretty anti-development. I mean, de we really need another road, anywhere? Definitely not one that will interfere with a world class wave and detrimentally impact the water quality and surrounding ecosystem. Unfortunately, I personally can't really do much from over here, but would be happy to sign a petition or send emails if that's an option.

Surfrider Foundation. Buck up. Lots of talkers on this site, lets see some action.

That meeting was a zoo. I had to park a 1/2 mile away and the room was so packed I couldn't even get in!

DENIED
    Worst television report ever.

Hooray!

Cool Save Trestles: Build More Breaks

Here's an idea: Save trestles by building more world class breaks and a highway further inland through Camp Pendleton. The water is beautiful in the area but the breaks are so crowded its not worth the paddle and risk of taking a board to the skull. (I speak from prior experience and have the permanent scar to prove it).