LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I'm not too familiar with the summer situation in VA Beach... Is there nowhere to surf without lifeguards?

Would you not do what you were told to do at work so that someone else could have fun? I know it sucks, but use your head... Or move if it's that big a deal to you

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyz View Post
    If I were drowning, I feel like a VB lifeguard would whistle for me to come in instead of save my life. The only ones I've ran into were the chubby teenagers that seemed to abuse their authority and act like the man of the beach. Seriously, go back to watching kids in the pool.
    There was one lifeguard I saw a couple of summers ago that struggled to make it past the breakers with his paddleboard thing on a waist high semi-clean day

I respect the lifeguards they are there for the right reason. To watch out for the inlanders who bring their wallets to our shores during the summer months. I do not understand some of the logic for the way surfers are treated during this time. Herding everyone into a crowded lineup by the jetty is a good way for someone to get injured. I try to avoid first street during the summer. If it's after surfing hours a pair of fins and a bodyboard open up the lifeguard sections without much issue. I usually check in with the guard and let them know I benched 900 while shotting the pier during an epic Mary Lee tow at. After that they give me the whistle. Out of respect.

To the OP.... Lifeguards are not the problem. The higher ups that make the rules are. You don't see this type of crap of kicking people out when there's a waist to chest high swell on the west coast/hawaii and lifeguards are there year round. Giving the lifeguard crap isn't going to accomplish anything. Write and complain to the people in charge.(the higher ups).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Don't take your anger out at the lifegaurds. Use your passion aboot this issue to try and change the laws. Man, you Virginia Beach guys live in a surf-related police state down there, huh? Ha, the authorities don't much like you guys, huh? Well at least you guys can feel like the anti-heroes surfers were supposed to be.

Really, use you anger to open more summer surfing areas. Rally the troops. Contact organizations that care. Get involved in the crafty, behind-the-scenes, local Virginia Beach political arena. How aboot running for city council and getting all the shred hounds and local ocean people behind you?

Oh hey yo, 757 Surfer how'd your "Surfing next to the pier" ticket go?

Good lord there sure are alot of surfers in the Tidewater area, just ax the dudes in the outer banks. So unite and organize. Get things changed.

Oh, what do you guys prefer: Tidewater or Hampton Roads. I don't know. I guess I like "Tidewater" if I'm shredding or hanging in a marsh, and Hampton Roads if I'm zanging in Bad News.
    ha i havent had to go in yet. it got moved to july 8th. we will find out then

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    I'm not too familiar with the summer situation in VA Beach... Is there nowhere to surf without lifeguards?

Would you not do what you were told to do at work so that someone else could have fun? I know it sucks, but use your head... Or move if it's that big a deal to you
    there are designated surf zones between 9-5. 1st-5th and croatan by pendalton and the croatan side of the jetty. that's really it for the ocean front. sandbridge thy can care less but i cant drive out there all the time. i have no gas money or a functioning car at the moment. thank god i can bike to work

can surf anywhere in the north end too right?

Quote Originally Posted by capecodcdog View Post
    Head south, young man, head south.
    And please don't stop until you're in Georgia...

What happens if you ignore the guard I wonder? Do they swim out and ticket you? Wait for the end of your sesh and arrest you? Are there close by unguarded beaches you can paddle to?

Our local guards turn a blind eye to surfers when we get big hurricane swells. They close the beach but pretend they don't see surfers.

Channel your anger. Get a dozen surfers together and show up at city meeting or whatever and request a change. Point out revenue losses for the town incurred by being surfer hostile.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    What happens if you ignore the guard I wonder? Do they swim out and ticket you? Wait for the end of your sesh and arrest you? Are there close by unguarded beaches you can paddle to?

Our local guards turn a blind eye to surfers when we get big hurricane swells. They close the beach but pretend they don't see surfers.

Channel your anger. Get a dozen surfers together and show up at city meeting or whatever and request a change. Point out revenue losses for the town incurred by being surfer hostile.
    Most places will let out bodyboarders with fins and surfers when swimming is restricted. Only the super anal places won't allow that.