LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Definition of an "East Coast Surfboard"

Hi, I recently moved to Boston area from Israel and been looking for a new surfboard. I heard many times that people talk about "east coast surfboards" and I just wanted to know what defines a good East Coast surfboard?

short and wide

I think you're going to get a broad spectrum response here... but my take on it is that east coasts waves are more often than not... mushy and weaker than say the cali surf.
    I think a wider board with a squash tail and moderate rocker would be a safe set of features for an east coast board.

Quote Originally Posted by haggi2 View Post
    Hi, I recently moved to Boston area from Israel and been looking for a new surfboard. I heard many times that people talk about "east coast surfboards" and I just wanted to know what defines a good East Coast surfboard?
    Welcome to the area. I wouldn't use that term... go into a surfshop and ask for a groveler or a fish. These are good boards for the days when there is minimal swell, this is likely what those people were talking about.

I'd recommend going up to Cinnamon Rainbows up in NH, they do good business. Get three boards, one groveler, one board that will challenge you, and one log. Buy some thick rubber and keep some Israeli hard booze in a flask in your car during the winter. Good luck!

Images
    I recommend you take the subway to chinatown and come watch me shape your new board!

I had a few boards go to Israel, too.

Thank you all very much for the advises it really helped me!

Images
    East coast surfboard - a surfboard that is on the east coast! (definition provided by OCsurf32 True Surfers only dictionary)

Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    short and wide
    He was asking about surfboards...

One more question about wetsuits: for the spring and fall, will a reg 3/2 do the job or should I get a 4/3?

I feel like you will be using your 4:3 alot more even in the spring.A few weeks ago in NJ the water temp was still 58.