LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You're good with a 3/2 right up to January normally. Then again in May... I find that I use my 4/3 the least. I jump from 3/2 to a 5 mil in the fall/winter and then use the 4/3 in April...

And I get cold easy.

Quote Originally Posted by haggi2 View Post
    One more question about wetsuits: for the spring and fall, will a reg 3/2 do the job or should I get a 4/3?

Whatever else you do, if a guy in an orange jumpsuit contacts you in re: buying one of his 'specialty boards' ... run, don't walk.

Go with the 4/3 ... a 3/2 in the fall and spring is really something that is good for the Southeast, like south of Maryland. I would recommend something like the Oneill Mutant, so you can remove the hood when the air temp is warm but the water is still chilly and you won't be doing much duck-diving. If you have a 4/3 with a separate hood, that can compromise the seal against the neck of the wetsuit, and give you quite a bit of flushing when the water is cold, reducing the effectiveness of the suit.

Volume is key!

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    You're good with a 3/2 right up to January normally. Then again in May... I find that I use my 4/3 the least. I jump from 3/2 to a 5 mil in the fall/winter and then use the 4/3 in April...

And I get cold easy.
    Is a 3/2 going to be warm enough up in Maine and NH as well?
    Last edited by haggi2; Jun 17, 2013 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasorod View Post
    Go with the 4/3 ... a 3/2 in the fall and spring is really something that is good for the Southeast, like south of Maryland. I would recommend something like the Oneill Mutant, so you can remove the hood when the air temp is warm but the water is still chilly and you won't be doing much duck-diving. If you have a 4/3 with a separate hood, that can compromise the seal against the neck of the wetsuit, and give you quite a bit of flushing when the water is cold, reducing the effectiveness of the suit.
    Yeah that sounds about right thanks

Images
    You should get a 3/2 and a 4/3 or even a 5 if you want to go all winter. Waves are better in the colder seasons. It's worth it. If your just planning late spring/early fall a 3/2 will work. But you'll miss some good swells. I usually go till about jan with a 4/3 in jersey before getting the 5 out

Images
    North of capecod 6/5/4 with thickest boots and gloves, water temp drops to 40 in winter time. some times the harbors freeze. summer time 3/2, shorty or shorts..

If you can only have one board on the East Coast and you are relatively new to surfing get a longboard.

Yeah a 3/2 is probably not going to suffice for NH and Maine for spring and fall, unless you are a warmer person than most. North of the cape, a 3/2 should get you into November at least, maybe December. But you probably won't be able to put that 3/2 back on until May. We're well into June and water temps are still mid-50s. I wore a 4/3 a week or so ago in NH and was pretty much perfectly comfortable.