LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holy Sheet!

Yeah, they were all little guys, but they are fun to catch!! Especially on a lighter set up

Let that be a lesson to the rest of them!

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Let that be a lesson to the rest of them!

Actually, I think he went and told his friends to come, because I caught about 6 more before the rain and lightening rolled in. LOL Been fishing for them for quite a few years, they are illegal to keep. But they are fun to catch!

Smooth Dogfish = elliptical eye and both dorsal fins about equal size and blunt teeth
    Sand Shark = round eye and second dorsal smaller than the front one and sharp teeth.

The best way to tell the difference is to just stick a finger in the fish-in-question's mouth and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroevol View Post
    Actually, I think he went and told his friends to come, because I caught about 6 more before the rain and lightening rolled in. LOL Been fishing for them for quite a few years, they are illegal to keep. But they are fun to catch!
    It's only illegal if you get caught

Erock, trust me, their teeth are not blunt! They cut through a 60lb metal leader, there for I trust the assumed outcome of sticking my finger in ones mouth. HA HA

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    little Sand Bar...

And Dogfish are the worst. They'll ruin a good day of fishing... Especially if you're chumming and they show up. You'll never get rid of them.
    this is true, once the dogfish come in its not likely you will catch anything else. but they are fun to catch and are edible. you can eat dogfish, skate, and even sea robin. they're pretty tasty. with all the regulations for recreational fishing these days taking home a few of these guys is becoming the only way to fill the cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    It's only illegal if you get caught
    Nuclear%20War%20Fishing%20Gary%20Larson%20Far%20Side.jpg

A Larson Classic.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    this is true, once the dogfish come in its not likely you will catch anything else. but they are fun to catch and are edible. you can eat dogfish, skate, and even sea robin. they're pretty tasty. with all the regulations for recreational fishing these days taking home a few of these guys is becoming the only way to fill the cooler.
    I've heard old timers talking about how good sea robin tail meat is, never tried it, spiny bastards though.

If you were getting a bunch of them, one after another, it sounds like dogfish. But yea... the teeth are a dead giveaway. From the picture, I'd say a small brown shark... or sandbar shark.

And sea robin are VERY good to eat; dogfish, too. Fried up or lightly smoked, they're awesome. So... call me an old timer, I guess. Not a big fan of skate, though. It's a texture thing.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Jun 17, 2013 at 03:16 PM.