LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weak spot

Images
    My right shoulder bothers me, I surfed two days in a row in April and it felt like my arm was gonna fall off. Have been resting it since and now I'm back in the gym going light and swimming without kicking trying to build it back up. Any ideas?

boooobies.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ocean60 View Post
    vodka and cranberry
    What are you on your period?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalarast View Post
    Dawn patrol is my salvation to that. My commute is not far; but a great surf session before work really sets my day off right.

Weak spot: I have, I believe, a pulled/strained IT band in my right leg. Popping up is normally not an issue; but swimming back to the board or the pull of the leash can aggravate it really quick.

Yes I make time to surf and not go to the doctor.... My wife says I'm an idiot ;0
    You tried using a foam roller for body weight massage? Should be a staple of everyone's physical regimen. Do it 2-3x a day. The roller hits that IT band oh so good and loosens it up but not without lots of pain from the deep tissue massage. I'd reckon you just need to loosen it up. If it were injured, you'd be in dire straits.

Quote Originally Posted by natkitchen View Post
    My right shoulder bothers me, I surfed two days in a row in April and it felt like my arm was gonna fall off. Have been resting it since and now I'm back in the gym going light and swimming without kicking trying to build it back up. Any ideas?
    Any previous shoulder injuries brah? The shoulder is both incredibly flexible and unstable. The labrum, rotator cuff, minor ligament and other connective tissues are like O-rings and washers to support and buffer stress to the ball and socket joint of the shoulder. My comparison was to mechanical pivots by the way. Try a glucosamine/MSM supplement in gram quantities a few times a day. I've lost seasons of play in my main sport from shoulder dislocations and subluxations (partial dislocate).

I know what you mean from the paddling. It's the overuse and ballistic impact of sprint paddling. Try slamming on your breaks day after day and see how fast you're at Meineke.

Rotator cuff exercises go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by joenottoast View Post
    boooobies.
    Yup. And leg to azz transition that make their buttocks look like a nice, firm shelf. Not to forget upper, inner thigh muscles like Faith Hill has. Good teeth and high cheekbones, a sense of humor, burnettes, Portuguese, and intellect can also be added.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Calf cramps, especially if I'm not hydrated enough...and as mentioned above, always seems to happen on my way back out through the impact zone, which kinda sucks when it's bigger.
    Electrolytes, sodium/potassium balance, and overall hydration of the muscle are obvious keys. See my post on the foam roller. Could be a tension issue. Do you wear older shoes and stand on hard surfaces much of the day? Sole supports. They also make a calf stretcher that looks like the foot measuring tool at the shoe store and it 's on top of a boat-like half circle that lets you get full stretch of the calf. Made of plastic and usually blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Indirect View Post
    Since I broke both of my wrists those are usually the first things to go due to the arthritis it's caused me. Makes popping up really hard too and this can happen as early as 20 minutes into the session. (And I'm 18...can't imagine what the older crowd must suffer through since they've had more time to do dumb ****
    Glucosamine/MSM supplementation, NSAIDs, and either boxing wrist wraps or a wrist support that has a gel insert that goes on the underside of the wrist where you take your radial pulse.

You guys sound like you could use constant hydration (going number one at least every 30 minutes and clear), improvements in flexibility, some more muscular strength and mass so the muscle bears loads and not joints (think if letting a stack of weights in a expertise machine slam together - those are your joints if not treated well), better overall diet, and body weight massage by use of foam roller.

Try even half those and you'll feel like new men.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Any previous shoulder injuries brah? The shoulder is both incredibly flexible and unstable. The labrum, rotator cuff, minor ligament and other connective tissues are like O-rings and washers to support and buffer stress to the ball and socket joint of the shoulder. My comparison was to mechanical pivots by the way. Try a glucosamine/MSM supplement in gram quantities a few times a day. I've lost seasons of play in my main sport from shoulder dislocations and subluxations (partial dislocate).

I know what you mean from the paddling. It's the overuse and ballistic impact of sprint paddling. Try slamming on your breaks day after day and see how fast you're at Meineke.

Rotator cuff exercises go a long way.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I tweaked my shoulder benching a couple of years ago and just did dumbbell press for about six months. Then I worked bench back in. I haven't been in the gym enough this year, I am sure that has something to do with it