LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Weak spot

Images
    Weakness . . . Hahahahahahaha

Actually a useful thread. I thought I was the only one who got the bad calf cramps.

My neck. I now take care of my neck. I go in feet first and avoid hyperextending (looking up from the prone position) as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Scbe View Post
    My neck. I now take care of my neck. I go in feet first and avoid hyperextending (looking up from the prone position) as much as possible.
    How do you avoid this? I can't stand sitting on my board, I just think it's tacky and lazy. Instead I arch up or posture up to see the next set coming in. If your neck is hurt that bad where you can't tilt your head up, you might be injured.

I too can't stand sitting on the board for too long. It puts you out of paddling position and when you see a set coming in you have to turn and find the sweet spot on your board again. It's also uncomfortable. If nothing is coming in at all I'll hang on the board and float in the water, much more comfortable than being on the board. makes you look like a "kook" though

Quote Originally Posted by Scbe View Post
    Scbe, my father in law had to have a couple of vertebrae in his neck fused two Aprils ago. Just repetitive motion injury from paddling and arching his neck and back for 50 odd years, couple of big Slough wipeouts too I guess. I bought him one of those Paddle Air vests and although he pretty much thought I was off my rocker, he uses it now. Says it really helps with his neck and back.

Mine are fast cars, strong drink and my Achilles tendon, left ankle.

Images
    Sounds like just about everyone has something nagging them. Good to know its not just me.

For me it's my shoulders and hips. Over the past few years and after plenty of time in the MRI machine I have been diagnosed with a torn labrum (among other problems) in both shoulders as well as both hips. All the doctors recommend surgery but honestly I just don't want to go through the recovery process on all 4 joints.

For now I just do my best to keep up with PT and not overdo it, but there's always a nagging pain going on somewhere. Maybe I will end up getting the surgeries down the road but now is just not the time. I'm holding out for some kind of magic labrum repair medicine to hit the shelves.

Good diet, exercise, stretching and the foam roller have been my best friends lately.

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    Sounds like just about everyone has something nagging them. Good to know its not just me.

For me it's my shoulders and hips. Over the past few years and after plenty of time in the MRI machine I have been diagnosed with a torn labrum (among other problems) in both shoulders as well as both hips. All the doctors recommend surgery but honestly I just don't want to go through the recovery process on all 4 joints.

For now I just do my best to keep up with PT and not overdo it, but there's always a nagging pain going on somewhere. Maybe I will end up getting the surgeries down the road but now is just not the time. I'm holding out for some kind of magic labrum repair medicine to hit the shelves.

Good diet, exercise, stretching and the foam roller have been my best friends lately.
    Damn naggers and things that annoy you.

I preach the diet, regimen, and roller all day long. A lil how's your father from the women don't hurt no one neither. Makes the world go round.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post

Mine are fast cars, strong drink and my Achilles tendon, left ankle.
    Like your rides, eh Gaffer? American muscle or German? I don't mind me a hard downshift taking a 90 degree at 50 now and then.

Images
    I have ptsd from combat in Iraq and received a traumatic brain injury in the marine corps 3 months after I returned home from middle east. Right before I paddle out, whether its knee high or head high, I get crazy weak and my legs are heavy. Sometimes I get to lineup and have to let a few waves roll by and then it passes. Other times I get pummeled and don't have the energy to even make it outside. Its scary and sometimes I faint. I think its anxiety of not having control. Weird thing is im pyching and happy before paddling out. But then it comes. Surfing is only thing that cures my issues from war. But I guess sometimes I bring them to the water without trying to. Its getting old. Just want to be normal
    Last edited by Mattyb; Jun 24, 2013 at 05:13 PM.