LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    Stay where you are but keep your options open for the right job and location, it sounds like there's plenty of time to make the move.

I live 15 minutes away from the beach here in Jax, and I'm trying to get closer, like looking at out of my window close, so I won't ever have to rely on cams ever again. I actually have my eyes set on a place in Melbourne sometime down the road if everything falls into place.
    I definitely have time because I would like to pay off all our debt first and save up a little bit of coin to make the move possible, my guess is we'll be in a good position in about a year or so. Any longer than 2 years and we could end up stuck because of what David here says...

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Do it before you have or start thinking about kids, once that happens, you can forget it, or it will be 100 times harder.
    The main obstacle is going to be finding new jobs before we move and finding a place to live all at the same time. I don't mind taking a bit of a pay cut to be closer to the water, but there is definitely a line I don't want to cross, as my wife isn't going to be too thrilled about being broke just so that I can surf daily (she doesn't surf really). If I could convince my company to allow me to work "remote" then that would solve a lot of problems, but not sure they'll go for that. I can work from home when I need to like I did yesterday when I had a dentist appointment but for a regular everday setup IDK if that'll fly.

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    can't speak for others but money just doesn't compensate for lack of beach proximity....have turned down several opportunities to advance within my company because they would require relocation. i live about 90 seconds from the ocean - i just can't put a price on that.
    +1 Hanna, everytime I have to get in the car and head home I think about this. I go through this mixture of emotions, on one hand i'm stoked I just got a session in, on the other i'm sad that i'm leaving and won't be back for a about a week, maybe longer depending on conditions, and I know that it'll be really good during the work week, so I will have to watch it on the cams while i'm working...
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; Jun 19, 2013 at 07:27 PM.

I live on the ocean. Will never move inland, I don't care what "boss" I enter a nuptial with. There is nothing, I repeat nothing, like sitting on your porch before bed and listening to the ocean talk to you as you see the clearest sky you've ever seen and you smell salt water. Well, that is until you see the sun rise on said ocean. Nothing like it. You can waste away to a skeleton and be content with that view. I type this on my phone as I lay on my porch swing that gives me a permanence these beach denizens in front of me dream of but don't realize they can have too. We can have anything we want.

Onto the surfing. I'm a mile from a more than adequate beach break and 30-45 minutes from several more if I get bored of the home break. I've done dawn patrol each day this week and while we are in the summer swell (lack of) there was still a solid 30 minutes of couple footers clean enough to have fun on since I timed the tides right. Wake up, grab board, step into liquid 5-8 minutes later. Eat breakfast, shower, start the rest of your day. By that time, everything else is a bonus. And we haven't even talked about the days it's cranking and you can get out 2-3 times in a day without lost time from driving.

I know what you mean when you talk about commitment. I've gone anywhere for the things I love. When you can bring them into your habitat is when the afterlife becomes an extension of the present.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    I live on the ocean. Will never move inland, I don't care what "boss" I enter a nuptial with. There is nothing, I repeat nothing, like sitting on your porch before bed and listening to the ocean talk to you as you see the clearest sky you've ever seen and you smell salt water. Well, that is until you see the sun rise on said ocean. Nothing like it. You can waste away to a skeleton and be content with that view. I type this on my phone as I lay on my porch swing that gives me a permanence these beach denizens in front of me dream of but don't realize they can have too. We can have anything we want.

Onto the surfing. I'm a mile from a more than adequate beach break and 30-45 minutes from several more if I get bored of the home break. I've done dawn patrol each day this week and while we are in the summer swell (lack of) there was still a solid 30 minutes of couple footers clean enough to have fun on since I timed the tides right. Wake up, grab board, step into liquid 5-8 minutes later. Eat breakfast, shower, start the rest of your day. By that time, everything else is a bonus. And we haven't even talked about the days it's cranking and you can get out 2-3 times in a day without lost time from driving.

I know what you mean when you talk about commitment. I've gone anywhere for the things I love. When you can bring them into your habitat is when the afterlife becomes an extension of the present.
    As always, very insightful post. I long for the days where I can do exactly this. "We can have anything we want", this is true but the hard part is figuring out exactly how, without screwing anything up in the process.

Images
    Try and find a job on the East coast, more waves over here, is it her family or your family, there is a lot of variables here, if its her family ....good luck brother, if its your family you might have a chance, I don't know that's a tough one, I just couldn't see myself driving that much, with that said, living on the East coast and 10 minutes from my home break, it sure is nice to catch some waves after work till dark. Good Luck and hope you find a happy medium.

Images
    Go - no one ever said, "Man, I can't believe I moved closer to the beach. What a mistake..."

Images
    Let's not get too whimsical, if every dreaming transient "denizen" lived directly on the beach because they wanted to, there'd be no beach left. Not trying to be a gloomy Gus here, but that's the truth. Moving closer to the water, cool, go for it; buying a house right on the beach that's gonna get washed away, not cool IMO.

if you are going to do it now is the time. 1- stay debt free, 2- save some $s, 3-find the job, 4- make the move/learn the area and 5-buy the house.

Quote Originally Posted by fl.surfdog View Post
    Try and find a job on the East coast, more waves over here, is it her family or your family, there is a lot of variables here, if its her family ....good luck brother, if its your family you might have a chance, I don't know that's a tough one, I just couldn't see myself driving that much, with that said, living on the East coast and 10 minutes from my home break, it sure is nice to catch some waves after work till dark. Good Luck and hope you find a happy medium.
    It's actually both our families that live in the area, however, it's more her family that is the concern than it is mine, Another concern of hers is the fact that she lived in Miami for like 13 years or something and Hurricane Andrew was her welcome to Florida party, that has her apprehensive to move back East, which is understandable, but I don't think it should stop us. In an emergency we could come stay with the fam, so I'm just trying to convince her of this.
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; Jun 19, 2013 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 15stwr View Post
    if you are going to do it now is the time. 1- stay debt free, 2- save some $s, 3-find the job, 4- make the move/learn the area and 5-buy the house.
    I like this plan.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ravert View Post
    Go - no one ever said, "Man, I can't believe I moved closer to the beach. What a mistake..."
    Ha, yes. So true. No one ever.