close ad [x]

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    is it a reasonable commute from st aug to jacksonville?
    Yeah, right next to each other, 30-45 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Yeah, right next to each other, 30-45 minutes
    sweet thanks. In a similar boat. Looking for warmer climes and have potential jobs in J-ville and New Bern NC.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    sweet thanks. In a similar boat. Looking for warmer climes and have potential jobs in J-ville and New Bern NC.
    Nice, you'll dig the surf in that area, got a buddy up there that loves it

Lately I've been doing a lot of thinking about my current situation. Currently I live / work in the Tampa Bay area, been doing so for the last 8-9 years. The job I currently have has enabled me to buy new boards and all the accessories I need to enjoy surfing as much as one can living inland.

I've been able to afford gas in my Tahoe to drive 2 - 2.5hrs each way to the East Coast every weekend, and 45 minutes each way to and from the Gulf during the week / after work when there are actually waves. We take a mini-vacations and stay 3-4 days on the E. Coast about every 6-8wks, and have taken two trips to Puerto Rico in the last 6-8 months and will be doing the same thing every year or to someplace similar. So although I live inland I'm able to surf pretty frequently, just not as much as someone that lives right there.

With that being said, i'm trying to figure out if I should be content with my current situation and just continue to make the most of things without living right on the coast or at least less than 30 minutes from it or if I should start finding a way to get closer to the water. Driving as much as I do is NOT fun, but I've been able to condition myself into thinking it's not all that bad because the end result (surfing) is always worth it, which it is. But like all things that require that much commitment, sh*t gets old and you just want to simplify things. If I lived right on the beach or less than 30 minutes from the water then I'd be able to fulfill my dream of surfing daily (conditions permitting), but it would require a complete life change I believe.

I'm not so sure we could find jobs that pay us well enough doing what we do or something similar in a coastal area. Not only would the job situation be a challenge, but so is convincing my wife that we should move further away from our parents / family and closer to areas that get affected worse during hurricane season. I think if money / jobs weren't an issue for us I could convince her of the move, because we would still be driving distance from the family if we needed to visit. It just wouldn't be as often as we do now.

We're getting close to being 100% debt free, and will soon be able to save some money and plan to buy a house, so this has me thinking. If we buy a house in the area we are currently in, it'll pretty much solidify what's going to happen for at least the next few years, BUT, if the right pieces were to fall into place, we could find ourselves on the beach or just over the bridge...

What would you do? And How would you go about doing it?
    Well it's been nearly 2 years since I started this thread. A lot has happened in those two years but one thing that hasn't changed is my dream.

We're a little over 5 months away from making our move to Melbourne. Wife is on board with it but she has made it clear it's to make me happy. If it were only up to her, we'd probably stay in the area we're in now.

That said, she's willing to give it a try and see how it goes over there. I promised her that it would all work out, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous about the employment situation. Leaving a company after 11 years to take less money and do something completely different is something I'm going to have to get over, and so will she. But is that easier said than done?

Any other advice on making this a smooth transition? I want to make sure i'm not forgetting anything. For those who's made this move, what pitfalls did you run into that I should be sure to avoid? Let's hear it SI community, this is the place for life advice, i'm relying on you!

Wow, I thought or fought you were having amnesia when I saw this thread. I was like, I was all, "didn't he do this a few years ago?" But I saw it is the same thread.

Dude, I moved on average every two years of my life. You move somewhere different. It's not normal. It feels strange. Then you adapt and get used to it. You either like it or don't.

Not to be a cocky-arse, but you're only moving a few hours away, dude. It shouldn't be too traumatic.

Does your wife have any mental health issues? I ax because who wouldn't want to live on Florida's east coast? Does she know aboot New Burna Beach? My uncle lives in Melbourne. I think.

Good luck, dude and don't fret so much. Whatever happens at the end of the day you still have your true friends in your pocket - your buds.

Melbourne florida or melbourne australia??

DP, don't sweat the "income" thing too much.

I used to freak out about it, but learned a lot over the years. Income and expenses are relative.

I've lived in places where I was earning the poverty level and lived pretty well. I've lived in other places where I was making 6 figs, and struggled to pay all the bills.

Like I said, it's all relative. You'll be fine.

Images
    Lately I've been doing a lot of thinking about my current situation. Currently I live / work in the Tampa Bay area, been doing so for the last 8-9 years. The job I currently have has enabled me to buy new boards and all the accessories I need to enjoy surfing as much as one can living inland.

I've been able to afford gas in my Tahoe to drive 2 - 2.5hrs each way to the East Coast every weekend, and 45 minutes each way to and from the Gulf during the week / after work when there are actually waves. We take a mini-vacations and stay 3-4 days on the E. Coast about every 6-8wks, and have taken two trips to Puerto Rico in the last 6-8 months and will be doing the same thing every year or to someplace similar. So although I live inland I'm able to surf pretty frequently, just not as much as someone that lives right there.

With that being said, i'm trying to figure out if I should be content with my current situation and just continue to make the most of things without living right on the coast or at least less than 30 minutes from it or if I should start finding a way to get closer to the water. Driving as much as I do is NOT fun, but I've been able to condition myself into thinking it's not all that bad because the end result (surfing) is always worth it, which it is. But like all things that require that much commitment, sh*t gets old and you just want to simplify things. If I lived right on the beach or less than 30 minutes from the water then I'd be able to fulfill my dream of surfing daily (conditions permitting), but it would require a complete life change I believe.

I'm not so sure we could find jobs that pay us well enough doing what we do or something similar in a coastal area. Not only would the job situation be a challenge, but so is convincing my wife that we should move further away from our parents / family and closer to areas that get affected worse during hurricane season. I think if money / jobs weren't an issue for us I could convince her of the move, because we would still be driving distance from the family if we needed to visit. It just wouldn't be as often as we do now.

We're getting close to being 100% debt free, and will soon be able to save some money and plan to buy a house, so this has me thinking. If we buy a house in the area we are currently in, it'll pretty much solidify what's going to happen for at least the next few years, BUT, if the right pieces were to fall into place, we could find ourselves on the beach or just over the bridge...

What would you do? And How would you go about doing it?
    At one point I lived 45 minutes away out in the country. It killed me . I'd look at the cam and be like Fk it. Move close its totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Martin View Post
    Wow, I thought or fought you were having amnesia when I saw this thread. I was like, I was all, "didn't he do this a few years ago?" But I saw it is the same thread.

Dude, I moved on average every two years of my life. You move somewhere different. It's not normal. It feels strange. Then you adapt and get used to it. You either like it or don't.

Not to be a cocky-arse, but you're only moving a few hours away, dude. It shouldn't be too traumatic.

Does your wife have any mental health issues? I ax because who wouldn't want to live on Florida's east coast? Does she know aboot New Burna Beach? My uncle lives in Melbourne. I think.

Good luck, dude and don't fret so much. Whatever happens at the end of the day you still have your true friends in your pocket - your buds.
    No deja vu here Riley, it's just taken us this long to finally realize the dream. 2 years ago we didn't have the means to move but I had the desire so I started this thread to get the momentum going. Talking about it motivates me. Now we have all of our debts paid off and a little bit of cash in the bank to help in the transition.

It's not me that I'm worried about to be honest. If it were just me I would be happy with living in a little box of 1BR or studio apartment and would work a sh*t job to barely get by and surf every day. But reality is I have a wife and have to think about her needs. She doesn't want to "go backwards". We are in a townhouse and our next step is to get into a full-size single family house so she doesn't want to mess that up.

Nah, she doesn't have any "mental" health issues, but she does have a life long health issue that does require specialty meds and a special doctor, which is also a concern of hers. She has an established doctor here and we have good health insurance, so we want to make sure that doesn't change, or else her health will suffer. So obviously that plays a role in this.

You are right though, I have my best buds in my pocket, well not exactly, burnt the last of it last night, going to visit my barber today after work, so I'll be good to go for a while again.

Quote Originally Posted by frost View Post
    Melbourne florida or melbourne australia??
    FL for sure. I doubt I'd ever move to Australia, although I'd visit for a while no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    DP, don't sweat the "income" thing too much.

I used to freak out about it, but learned a lot over the years. Income and expenses are relative.

I've lived in places where I was earning the poverty level and lived pretty well. I've lived in other places where I was making 6 figs, and struggled to pay all the bills.

Like I said, it's all relative. You'll be fine.
    You are right, been trying to explain that to Wifey. She gets it but it's a tough sell when we're pretty comfortable right now. We're not making bank by any means, combined we do OK but if I were the only one working we'd be pretty tight on money.

Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    At one point I lived 45 minutes away out in the country. It killed me . I'd look at the cam and be like Fk it. Move close its totally worth it.
    I hear you dude, I have been looking at HD cams on Surfline for years while at work or home and just day dreaming about being there all the time. I'm about ready to cancel that membership because I won't need it when i'm only 10 minutes from the water. I'll just go check myself. Congrats on making it happen for yourself btw, glad it all worked out for you.

Maybe you should stay put then.

You surf fairly often don't you. And sometimes the drive is the best part of the surf session. It's nice traversing the swamps of Florida after getting some quality NSB... burning one on the way back or if you're like Waffen SS, burning five on the way home. You guys all have problems. So do I. I keep buying more and it keeps lasting me less. But I deal with shifty Puerto Ricans who are unreliable. Well, my oval Puerto Rican is reliable but not my green PR.

Sorry that your wife has a medical condition. Hep C ? Everybody has HEP C around here.

I don't know, SUP, is it possible that your forcing this too much. Sometimes when we force things they turn wrong. I don't know. I actually surf more when I live a little ways away from the coast. When you go, you're going. When you live at the beach you tend to make excuses..."Ah, I'll wait till the tide drops...I'll wait till tomorrow." Or you pass out face first in the sand and have to have the life guards rescue you. Drowning in sand sucks.

Luke, let go use the force...or something like that. Good luck in whatever happens.

Hey, how does your wife feel aboot New Jersey? We got the death bubs up here.

Oh, what aboot buds? You'll be driving back to the gulf for your herbal Scooby snacks.

Hey, Pump didn't move to Texas. But then again who could leave Wildwood, NJ?