LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Wayne I appreciate your offer, been going to Cocoa for 17 years, so i'm rather familiar w/the area, actually, we may have even met once, I got approached on the beach and was asked if I had a relationship with J.C., I said yes but thanked you for your concern and went surfing. This was probably 4-5 years ago, just out front of the big Zion Church, it was a big day if I recall...
    You know the drill then and you know what were about. Need fellowship we have at 24/7. Was not me I use a different approach if yah know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by sonfollowerssurf View Post
    You know the drill then and you know what were about. Need fellowship we have at 24/7. Was not me I use a different approach if yah know what I mean.
    I hear ya, maybe a free surfboard will do the trick? I kid i kid

Best of luck to you and your family. Post some photos when you get an chance, and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    Best of luck to you and your family. Post some photos when you get an chance, and enjoy!
    Thanks SISD, definitely will, one of these days we'll all run into each other i'm sure

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Lately I've been doing a lot of thinking about my current situation. Currently I live / work in the Tampa Bay area, been doing so for the last 8-9 years. The job I currently have has enabled me to buy new boards and all the accessories I need to enjoy surfing as much as one can living inland.

I've been able to afford gas in my Tahoe to drive 2 - 2.5hrs each way to the East Coast every weekend, and 45 minutes each way to and from the Gulf during the week / after work when there are actually waves. We take a mini-vacations and stay 3-4 days on the E. Coast about every 6-8wks, and have taken two trips to Puerto Rico in the last 6-8 months and will be doing the same thing every year or to someplace similar. So although I live inland I'm able to surf pretty frequently, just not as much as someone that lives right there.

With that being said, i'm trying to figure out if I should be content with my current situation and just continue to make the most of things without living right on the coast or at least less than 30 minutes from it or if I should start finding a way to get closer to the water. Driving as much as I do is NOT fun, but I've been able to condition myself into thinking it's not all that bad because the end result (surfing) is always worth it, which it is. But like all things that require that much commitment, sh*t gets old and you just want to simplify things. If I lived right on the beach or less than 30 minutes from the water then I'd be able to fulfill my dream of surfing daily (conditions permitting), but it would require a complete life change I believe.

I'm not so sure we could find jobs that pay us well enough doing what we do or something similar in a coastal area. Not only would the job situation be a challenge, but so is convincing my wife that we should move further away from our parents / family and closer to areas that get affected worse during hurricane season. I think if money / jobs weren't an issue for us I could convince her of the move, because we would still be driving distance from the family if we needed to visit. It just wouldn't be as often as we do now.

We're getting close to being 100% debt free, and will soon be able to save some money and plan to buy a house, so this has me thinking. If we buy a house in the area we are currently in, it'll pretty much solidify what's going to happen for at least the next few years, BUT, if the right pieces were to fall into place, we could find ourselves on the beach or just over the bridge...

What would you do? And How would you go about doing it?
    Get to the shore. Before it's too late. If you don't put up the fight now and express how important all of this is to you, it will be too late in the future. Once the kids come and the mortgage. There is nothing wrong with rolling the dice a little bit and giving it a try. Leave on good terms with your current employer and if worst comes to worst, you come back home in a year or so... I made a huge move after college from inland maryland to San Diego because i just couldn't keep living away from the beach. This past year, I packed up the wife, my daughter, my pets and everything and relocated everything from the beach in San Diego, right to the beach on Hilton Head Island... Less waves, but we have family here and I am still right on the water. 15 minute walk to the beach or a 5 minute bike ride... I took a small pay cut to do it, but a year later, I am looking at properties to buy and am very happy that we rolled the dice. I wont have ridiculous 3 months stretches of surfing everyday.... But I had to put up this fight for a long time, and I am glad I did. If I wasnt persistent in my pursuit of the ocean, I would probably be in Baltimore or D.C. working and not being very stoked on life.

Do it and do it now... You dont want to spend the rest of your life wondering what if... Or just "settling". Life is too short to settle. The wife will understand. It may take time, but she will. You can't wait until you are retired and took weak at the knees to even surf well anymore to live your life. There is more to life than money and careers. We all gotta eat. We all have families to support or raise. But find a decent beach town with a good economy and do it. And if you find out you were a happier couple back inland, then head back... No harm. No foul.

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    ever since I was a kid,i wanted to live near the water.well I live near the water for the past 8yrs and I wish I could move inland.first off,hurricanes.i live in nj,we don't usually get hit by hurricanes,but ever since sandy its not worth it unless your loaded and can afford to rebuild.9 out of 10 houses in my neighborhood have been raised,mine being the one that isn't.you need to learn all the loopholes with homeowner insurance.if you don't have "contents" and u get flooded,they only help with sheetrock and tiles.my brothers 3level house had the whole 1st floor totaled.stuff like waterheaters,refridge,wash n dryer aren't covered.my brother had a 67 mustang in the garage hes been restoring for the past 6yrs.he spent over 30grand,and now that car is in a scrapyard somewhere.30grand worth of snapon tools gone.he was royally screwed.

also is summer traffic.it can take an hr to get to wawa 3 lights up that normally takes 4min to get to.i would move atleast 20miles inland.you can always drive to the beach,but when u live 3blocks from the beach and your truck,house,and gear is destroyed,and the towns flooded in,you cant get to the beach
    I think that many people outside the areas affected by Sandy don't really understand and are aware of what happened; and that people, homes, and businesses are still suffering from it.
    The points you made about living near the water are food for thought. I too wanted to live closer to the ocean or down by the Gulf, and this has been a dream of mine for retirement. We already live 16 miles away from the various VB beaches, which isn't bad. But closer proximity to the waterfront does add issues when it comes to crowds & crime in some areas, storms, flooding, cost of real estate, insurances, sand on and in everything, deterioration and maintenance of property, etc. Like you said, "you can always drive to the beach".
    Still....

St Augustine is a great town, I have a buddy who lives there now (like four years at this point) and good Lordy is it cheap, even compared to a lot of inland places like Baltimore where I live. I could sell my house here and pay cash for one six blocks from the beach there, with an extra hundred g's in my pocket.......IF ONLY. You know, same ol same ol, lots of impediments at age 45 with wife kids career family rental properties, the list goes on. Go forth young single man, so some of us can live vicariously through you!

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Get to the shore. Before it's too late. If you don't put up the fight now and express how important all of this is to you, it will be too late in the future. Once the kids come and the mortgage. There is nothing wrong with rolling the dice a little bit and giving it a try. Leave on good terms with your current employer and if worst comes to worst, you come back home in a year or so... I made a huge move after college from inland maryland to San Diego because i just couldn't keep living away from the beach. This past year, I packed up the wife, my daughter, my pets and everything and relocated everything from the beach in San Diego, right to the beach on Hilton Head Island... Less waves, but we have family here and I am still right on the water. 15 minute walk to the beach or a 5 minute bike ride... I took a small pay cut to do it, but a year later, I am looking at properties to buy and am very happy that we rolled the dice. I wont have ridiculous 3 months stretches of surfing everyday.... But I had to put up this fight for a long time, and I am glad I did. If I wasnt persistent in my pursuit of the ocean, I would probably be in Baltimore or D.C. working and not being very stoked on life.

Do it and do it now... You dont want to spend the rest of your life wondering what if... Or just "settling". Life is too short to settle. The wife will understand. It may take time, but she will. You can't wait until you are retired and took weak at the knees to even surf well anymore to live your life. There is more to life than money and careers. We all gotta eat. We all have families to support or raise. But find a decent beach town with a good economy and do it. And if you find out you were a happier couple back inland, then head back... No harm. No foul.
    Thank you for your reply, glad everything has worked out for you and your family. I know what you mean about the fight, because it has taken a bit of convincing that it's the right move, mostly due to moving further from family, but she is on board now and is willing to take the risk. If it doesn't work out, then it's on me and we'll deal with it. The process is already underway though, since we asked our employer to work "remote" full-time and give us the ability to relocate without changing jobs. This was two days ago and we are awaiting our answer. If they say yes, we'll be gone in less than two months. If they say no, then we gotta look at finding new jobs, but hope it doesn't come to that. At least if we can work remote, we can get settled over there and then we'll be able to effectively look for a local job if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Indirect View Post
    ^ His favorite spots are terrible and will kill you. :P
    What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, rock / reef is your friend!

is it a reasonable commute from st aug to jacksonville?