LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lifethrillz View Post
    take the pay cut if you have to and buy a reasonable house. If you think you surf enough now you have no idea how much more you will once you live close. You can still budget trips and whatever else you want to do all you have to do is have the will to make it happen. you your wife and the dog will be much more happier. Make the drive for the family visits not the ocean visits
    Thanks for the advice and welcome to swellinfo, I think you're right, just gotta figure this thing out so that it's a seamless transition.

I'm 2-2.5 hrs from the coast. It's the west coast, so there's almost always a ridable wave nearby, but the water is freezing. I liked it better when I lived in florida, but then it was flat for weeks at a time and I'm conveniently forgetting about the hoards of roaches and mosquitoes...but I digress.

whatever you do, I would take the parents/relatives out of the equation. You've been right there with them for 14+ years and you'll still be within relatively close driving distance wherever you go (in fla). Sounds to me, now's your chance to move where you want...before you get really stuck. You've been in the same place long enough and it appears you're ready to move on, and up
    Last edited by waterbaby; Jun 19, 2013 at 05:54 PM.

Images
    Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goosemagoo View Post
    One thing to consider is the atmosphere surrounding water activity centric communities. Even if you aren't right near the beach there is a laid back atmosphere that is usually prevalent once you get near communities that have a lot of waterways and/or beaches. Having grown up near the beach and bay I can't imagine leaving the area for an inland suburbia even if I never surfed another day in my life. With that being said and after seeing some of the real estate that's for sale in FL I'd say keep your eye out for all of the pieces falling in the right places.
    True, LOTS of real estate in FL, and tons of good deals since the market crashed, but I think the key is going to be to buy within the next 3 years before it goes back up too much. I pray for these pieces to fall into place, but it's going to take a bit more than praying, wishing, and wanting, it's going to take a huge effort.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    I went through the same thing that you are going through now. I had to leave Charleston for work back in 2009 (thank you fugged up economy). I ended up in Richmond, with a really good job. I went from engineer to project manager, and was very good at what I did. After a couple years of dealing with the commute back and forth to the coast every couple weeks, I decided I couldn't stand living inland. All I did all week is dream about being on the coast. After a year of searching, I found an engineering position in Charleston. However, this position was still a step back from project management. I ended up going for it, as the pay was slightly better. In the end, I am happy to live in this area. I don't particularly like my job, and it isn't really a challenge, but I work to live. Nothing feels better than getting home after work, loading up the board, and heading to the beach. I will hopefully find a project management job down here eventually, but I have no regrets about the decision I made.
    Glad it all worked out for you man, hopefully I can pull off a similar manuever one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
    I'm going to guess that you are still young (I think I remember seeing you were in your early 30s) and it doesn't sound like you have kids and you don't own a house. I would do it man. You don't have many roots down besides family and honestly, I like to keep my distance from them although free childcare is pretty nice. We moved to Wilmington a couple years ago and surfing was the furthest thing from my mind, but now I totally appreciate being a 15 minute drive to the beach, but still think "what if we were closer, that would be awesome". Maybe someday, after the kids are growed up we'll get a place on topsail or CB.

And I'm paraphrasing Braveheart but "And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to live near the beach and tell your families that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR SURFING! "
    Love the Braveheart paraphrase, one of the best movies ever, and couldn't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    I'm 2-2.5 hrs from the coast. It's the west coast, so there's almost always a ridable wave nearby, but the water is freezing. I liked it better when I lived in florida, but then it was flat for weeks at a time and I'm conveniently forgetting about the hoards of roaches and mosquitoes...but I digress.

whatever you do, I would take the parents/relatives out of the equation. You've been right there with them for 14+ years and you'll still be within relatively close driving distance wherever you go (in fla). Sounds to me, now's your chance to move where you want...before you get really stuck. You've been in the same place long enough and it appears you're ready to move on, and up
    I believe you are right, i've technically been in the same area for my entire life (32yrs) so I really could use the change.

Images
    can't speak for others but money just doesn't compensate for lack of beach proximity....have turned down several opportunities to advance within my company because they would require relocation. i live about 90 seconds from the ocean - i just can't put a price on that.

Stay where you are but keep your options open for the right job and location, it sounds like there's plenty of time to make the move.

I live 15 minutes away from the beach here in Jax, and I'm trying to get closer, like looking at out of my window close, so I won't ever have to rely on cams ever again. I actually have my eyes set on a place in Melbourne sometime down the road if everything falls into place.

Do it before you have or start thinking about kids, once that happens, you can forget it, or it will be 100 times harder.