LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    Although you're married, you still have a lot of freedom and can afford to to take some risk. You're young, have no kids, don't own a house, and not yet "trapped". Once these factors start to change, your freedom will be reduced. What are your priorities in life? Make a list. What are the trade-offs? Is surfing really the number one consideration? How important and how much do you like your current job? Do you live to work or work to live?
    In the end, this is a joint decision between you and your wife.
    Very true, I would love to get this move behind us before anything truly "traps" us, although I hope we're never "trapped". To be perfectly honest, I really don't like my job, can't stand my "boss", can't stand many of the people I work with. We actually work at the same company, so it's a package deal when we leave. Neither of us really care for the place, but together we make a decent income so that's the only thing keeping us here. I see work as a means to an end honestly, I don't think i'll ever by 100% happy working for anybody else, ultimately I want to be in business for myself one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    Find a gig and go go go. Think nationally too. PR or Cali wouldn't suck. Nothing worthwhile is easy.
    You inspired me a few years back when you made it happen brotha, i'm happy for you, maybe one day we'll be neighbors. PR would totally suck, hate that place all their waves...

I live in Clearwater so I know exactly what you are feeling. With family and my career there is no chance for me to make a move. One thing about a good income is the freedom to get on a jet and surf anywhere. Nothing beats being close to a consistent break though. I lived in the Orange county (California) area in my younger years and it was great to be able to surf almost anytime.
    It would be a tough choice for me if I took out the career aspect. I would probably move all the way back west...San Diego has a tremendous appeal. As for now, I am ok with driving to Cocoa whenever it is worth the trip (which seems to be almost every week). Gotta love the sunpass!

You can have it all some of the time.
    You cant have it all all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mushdoc View Post
    I live in Clearwater so I know exactly what you are feeling. With family and my career there is no chance for me to make a move. One thing about a good income is the freedom to get on a jet and surf anywhere. Nothing beats being close to a consistent break though. I lived in the Orange county (California) area in my younger years and it was great to be able to surf almost anytime.
    It would be a tough choice for me if I took out the career aspect. I would probably move all the way back west...San Diego has a tremendous appeal. As for now, I am ok with driving to Cocoa whenever it is worth the trip (which seems to be almost every week). Gotta love the sunpass!
    Clearwater / Dunedin is my old stompin grounds (graduated from Dunedin 99'), my family still lives over there, I don't know how you do it coming from Orange County man HAHA. The Sunpass is magical though, I can get to Cocoa Pier in about 1hr 50 minutes from Brandon on the expressway. We probably see each other on the drive over there...

Images
    Or.....

You could hit the wife with divorce papers. Tell your bosses to go suck it, sell everything you own, load up the covered wagon, and head to Northern California. Then you could build a log cabin on a headland overlooking a locally fabled, mythical right point break, and become one with the earth. All of your modern worries of jobs, wives, kids(NO !!!), sub prime mortgage rates, and gas prices will all disappear into the pacific fog.

After your third 400 yard, over-head screamer, and a camoflauged grow shed with the areas top strains sitting behind your cabin, would you ever look back? Trolling the coast, with young, new-aged hippy girls in a Merry Prankster bus, downing mushroom tea as the redwoods sing softly, and the winds call your name, you'll never think of hot, buggy, Florida again. Chasing down Bigfoot, lost in a surreal existence made possible by a location with more trees than people, and a sense of adventure and discovery that has been lost on the east coast for decades.

Eating flapjacks, at a local diner, in a one-horse town, with rugged loggers on a cold, grey December morning where time seems to stand still............

Dude, Florida's got alligators, dude......alligators. Plus, if you watch the news there's a lot of stupid things going down in Florida. Man, people bust on Jersey, but y'all have got some real winners down there.

Yeah, the northern California thing is a pipe-dream for those with more guts than I......or maybe a more insane menatlity than I possess. But just getting out of the northern waters of Cullyfornia must be a accomplishment especially when surfing alone.

A wild coast, of jagged shores and unknown beasts .......Quiet sunlit days or moody, fog encased tranquility....reading Curious George books next to a cozy fireplace........late afternoon walks with your dog through enchanted forests. Jesus, this whole coast here on the east is so ......so bland, unmoving, lacking of inspiration.

See, I reckon I'm too biased aboot a move to the east coast of Florida. At this stage in my surfing life I'm looking for more than 7 yard closeouts. And I'm not talking size, I'm talking quality. So any move in my opinion - any major life change - should be for something more glorious than Sebastian Inlet or New "Burna" Beach. I mean, look at that Gorkin dude, he's retarded. Let's face it boys, the east coast of America isn't world class no matter what any Outer Banks pro says in a magazine interview......."I've been all over the world, and when it's good it's just as good as anywhere." Hogwash. Bullhonkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Or.....

You could hit the wife with divorce papers. Tell your bosses to go suck it, sell everything you own, load up the covered wagon, and head to Northern California. Then you could build a log cabin on a headland overlooking a locally fabled, mythical right point break, and become one with the earth. All of your modern worries of jobs, wives, kids(NO !!!), sub prime mortgage rates, and gas prices will all disappear into the pacific fog.

After your third 400 yard, over-head screamer, and a camoflauged grow shed with the areas top strains sitting behind your cabin, would you ever look back? Trolling the coast, with young, new-aged hippy girls in a Merry Prankster bus, downing mushroom tea as the redwoods sing softly, and the winds call your name, you'll never think of hot, buggy, Florida again. Chasing down Bigfoot, lost in a surreal existence made possible by a location with more trees than people, and a sense of adventure and discovery that has been lost on the east coast for decades.

Eating flapjacks, at a local diner, in a one-horse town, with rugged loggers on a cold, grey December morning where time seems to stand still............

Dude, Florida's got alligators, dude......alligators. Plus, if you watch the news there's a lot of stupid things going down in Florida. Man, people bust on Jersey, but y'all have got some real winners down there.

Yeah, the northern California thing is a pipe-dream for those with more guts than I......or maybe a more insane menatlity than I possess. But just getting out of the northern waters of Cullyfornia must be a accomplishment especially when surfing alone.

A wild coast, of jagged shores and unknown beasts .......Quiet sunlit days or moody, fog encased tranquility....reading Curious George books next to a cozy fireplace........late afternoon walks with your dog through enchanted forests. Jesus, this whole coast here on the east is so ......so bland, unmoving, lacking of inspiration.

See, I reckon I'm too biased aboot a move to the east coast of Florida. At this stage in my surfing life I'm looking for more than 7 yard closeouts. And I'm not talking size, I'm talking quality. So any move in my opinion - any major life change - should be for something more glorious than Sebastian Inlet or New "Burna" Beach. I mean, look at that Gorkin dude, he's retarded. Let's face it boys, the east coast of America isn't world class no matter what any Outer Banks pro says in a magazine interview......."I've been all over the world, and when it's good it's just as good as anywhere." Hogwash. Bullhonkey.
    And then you die alone, with nobody that cares about you, not even one, the end...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    And then you die alone, with nobody that cares about you, not even one, the end...
    We all die alone, no one goes with you.

Yeah, I'm a bit different than most folks. I've learned, actually in the last couple of years, that this human convention of companionship is merely a paradigm. You can't count on another for your happiness/contentness.

And worrying aboot whether someone cares aboot you, is a state of mind solely in peoples' head. As long as You care aboot You, nothing else matters. And I do NOT mean being a selfish prick and being self-centered and stuff. I mean as long as you consider yourself a worthwhile being then other's opinions don't much matter. Really, think aboot it, why does thinking someone cares aboot you really matter. Really, think deepely aboot that. Is it innate to humans or is it some kind of ego thing? I don't know.

Most human relationships go bunk sooner or later. Some might find that fairy tale romantic relationship, but most people "settle." And most people tend to be kind of fickle. Ahh, everything gets boring after a while.

This reminds me of a show I saw sometime ago. This dude, got sobered-up from a wild life, and subsequently became disillusioned with people and society. So he moved to Alaska to live amongst the bears(alright !!) and to be "free." He lived with nature and befriended the local bear population(Alright !!). One day, down-the-road, our hero was attacked and killed by one of his bear friends. Now, y'all think aboot that one. You can look at it from different angles - some proponents of the feral the life and some against it.

Can a person fuction/survive/maintain sanity in this enviroment? Does it represent the fact that any relationship - human or animal - can take a grizzly(pun intended) turn for the worse? Are you trapped equally in Manhattan and Saskatchawan? Are you more free in the woods than the city? I don't know man.

Oh Dusk Patrol SUP, aboot the move.......just remember that you are axing advice from a group of people who can't get out of their wetsuits !! HA HA Actually, whatever EROCK tells you to do, I'd go with that. He's a sound human being. Though he questions the existence of pizza plants, but that's, like, the only strike against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    We all die alone, no one goes with you.

Yeah, I'm a bit different than most folks. I've learned, actually in the last couple of years, that this human convention of companionship is merely a paradigm. You can't count on another for your happiness/contentness.

And worrying aboot whether someone cares aboot you, is a state of mind solely in peoples' head. As long as You care aboot You, nothing else matters. And I do NOT mean being a selfish prick and being self-centered and stuff. I mean as long as you consider yourself a worthwhile being then other's opinions don't much matter. Really, think aboot it, why does thinking someone cares aboot you really matter. Really, think deepely aboot that. Is it innate to humans or is it some kind of ego thing? I don't know.

Most human relationships go bunk sooner or later. Some might find that fairy tale romantic relationship, but most people "settle." And most people tend to be kind of fickle. Ahh, everything gets boring after a while.

This reminds me of a show I saw sometime ago. This dude, got sobered-up from a wild life, and subsequently became disillusioned with people and society. So he moved to Alaska to live amongst the bears(alright !!) and to be "free." He lived with nature and befriended the local bear population(Alright !!). One day, down-the-road, our hero was attacked and killed by one of his bear friends. Now, y'all think aboot that one. You can look at it from different angles - some proponents of the feral the life and some against it.

Can a person fuction/survive/maintain sanity in this enviroment? Does it represent the fact that any relationship - human or animal - can take a grizzly(pun intended) turn for the worse? Are you trapped equally in Manhattan and Saskatchawan? Are you more free in the woods than the city? I don't know man.

Oh Dusk Patrol SUP, aboot the move.......just remember that you are axing advice from a group of people who can't get out of their wetsuits !! HA HA Actually, whatever EROCK tells you to do, I'd go with that. He's a sound human being. Though he questions the existence of pizza plants, but that's, like, the only strike against him.
    PJB, sorry to hear your life hasn't gone the way you had planned, and relationships with others seem to be too challenging for you maintain and as a result have learned to only care about yourself (if that), it's really a shame, because one of the best things about being a human, is the ability to have feelings / emotions and to care about others and to be cared about by those same people.

I know, you don't need none of that phony crap, but that's really what it's all about. If we all were loners, earth would be a terrible place to be, sure I enjoy having my solitude from time to time, but if it were all solitude all the time, i'd go nuts...

Just think about what solitary confinement does to people in the clink (i know you've been there and love it), there's a reason why they put you in there, and it isn't because humans like being alone. Sure we all die alone technically, but it's all the memories of those you love and all the experiences you've had in your life that I believe sticks with you in the "after-life" / heaven or whatever you may call it. The body dies, but the spirit does not, think about that for a second...

BTW, I really don't mind the whole Dusk Patrol thing, but honestly it just doesn't have the same ring as DawnPatrol, i'm sure we can agree on that...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    PJB, sorry to hear your life hasn't gone the way you had planned, and relationships with others seem to be too challenging for you maintain and as a result have learned to only care about yourself (if that), it's really a shame, because one of the best things about being a human, is the ability to have feelings / emotions and to care about others and to be cared about by those same people.

I know, you don't need none of that phony crap, but that's really what it's all about. If we all were loners, earth would be a terrible place to be, sure I enjoy having my solitude from time to time, but if it were all solitude all the time, i'd go nuts...

Just think about what solitary confinement does to people in the clink (i know you've been there and love it), there's a reason why they put you in there, and it isn't because humans like being alone. Sure we all die alone technically, but it's all the memories of those you love and all the experiences you've had in your life that I believe sticks with you in the "after-life" / heaven or whatever you may call it. The body dies, but the spirit does not, think about that for a second...

BTW, I really don't mind the whole Dusk Patrol thing, but honestly it just doesn't have the same ring as DawnPatrol, i'm sure we can agree on that...
    Oh God, I knew you, or some other person, would give me that BS. Dude, my life is just dandy. So don't worry aboot that. I have experienced all that there is concerning human sociality. I'm talking on a deeper more philosophical level here, DPS. So please save the, " Oh you poor, lost lonely soul" stuff. Because that ain't the case, ese. Far from it.

Didn't I say, " I don't mean being selfish....caring only aboot yourself......." Maybe my meaning is too far over your head.......You are commenting on things I specifically said wasn't the case. C'mon on man.

See dude, I'm not a typical person. I know and understand this world, this plane or plain of existence, better than most. You people can all laugh and dismiss that all you want. Things are only serious and life-or-death if you make them that way. Dude, you shouldn't take this world, this life, so seriously. It's nothing really. Just a test and a learning experience for greater things. Also, I can sit in a room alone with my thoughts and be A-ok. Not many can handle solitude for any amount of times, and these people are either weak minded or dependant on social contact much like an addict of ze drugs.

Everything can be controlled by your mind. It's a pretty powerful organ.......soul......object of mysticism.....

I know you are a sophisticated man of the world, but you'll see the big changes in your enlightenment and understanding in the next decade. 30-year-old DPS is a bit different from 20-year-old DPS, right? Ha, just give it another 10 years......