LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Images
    Gloria was huge and clean at Sandy Hook. Not sure about it being 15 foot but probably the biggest cleanest surf I had ever seen up there to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    I like how people talk aboot celebrities like they know them or something. Seeing some dude on a screen doesn't mean you "know" them.

Oh Archy, I wasn't trying to be cool by dropping North Jersey names. I don't really know any of those dudes. I just spent alot of time reading East Coast Surfer between masturbating while I was a teen. So I beacme familiar with the names. Also, I was a semi-proud memeber of the CNJ-ESA back in the Gary Clayton/Don Tarrant era. So, I've been around some of those dudes. Like, Brian Kelly even talked to me once !!!! How aboot that?

I'm going to use my Encyclopedia Brown skills to find out your identity. You aren't the ghost of that Malter Maier Althaus guy are you? Or whatever the hell that dude's name was. Anderson? Stabley? Kevin Casey? Jimmy Hines? Roger Jerffry(ies)? Corey Booker? One of the Jonas Brothers? Wow, there's a lot going on up in North Jersey, huh?
    hahaha Jonas Brothas.
    yeah I was wondering how you knew those guys being from down south. but talent wise Malta could of been the best the north east ever saw. pound for pound he had more talent than Gleason or Hammer to name a few from Jerz. Twas a sad day amongst us when he passed.
    the Hoppers were a previous generation and those guys were up there with Malta. If there was a surf industry back then like now, all three of those guys would have been something.
    me? i'm really a nobody and only he locs know and respect me.but I kinda like it like that. man I miss the 90's. a dead surf industry, no photogs no cell phones. I remember driving around knocking on friends doors just looking for someone to surf with on those big winter days. I did get 'Hero Shot' in ESM back in like 2001 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Archy, you know the Hoppers? Your the first person I have seen that remembers Doug and Dave. Man they could rip and both had great style. I'm around the same age as and would surf with them up at Sandy hook in the early to mid eighties. I remember seeing those two with Ellie and Wayne paddling out to some giant surf at the cove. So big that it wasn't hitting the point but breaking wide and way outside. We were deluded into thinking we were hot up and commers until one day when we met the hoppers who knocked us way down really fast, lol.
    yeah, they lived a block over from me in the 80's. I was 5 years younger and met them when I was 7 or 8. I was goin straight in on a sponge and Doug showed me how to cut on the wave and pull in. man that's a long time ago. but yeah those two were freaks as far as surfing ability.

Images
    I always thought those two would make it big. It took Kelly slater and that generation forward, then there was a whole apparatus set up to market people. There were these little guys, known only by the few people who surfed that absolutely ripped, and ripped with style. They never got anywhere with surfing other than what it should always have been, be a personal thing. Something they did for themselves, a few friends and the younger up and coming guys who watched and learned. After all these years I'm still not as good as I remember them being when they were 16 years old. It's funny I always thought they were from Aberdeen or somewhere up near Hazlet. Did they move away from Long Branch eventually, with their mom or something? Maybe my memory is all wrong.

if the governor is ordering flags flown at half-mast in nj tomorrow, that just shows you all you need to know about him,nj politics,new jersey culture,american culture.tony soprano is a hero.the character is not my hero,and that's why they're doing this.very sad,something rotten in the state of denmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Hey let me ax youse people something. And don't be getting all defensive and stuff. And this isn't James Gandolfini specific.

Why do people worship celebrities? Why does society treat actors as the most important people, and acting as the most important "skill" to exist? Why do people go crazy about the famous? Why do people want the signatures of famous persons? Why are pretty people who pretend(actors), sporting porfessionals, and Justin Beibers considered the most important people on the planet?

Nobody cares aboot the dude who created indoor plumbing, but y'all watch TV shows that show Sandra Bullock buying milk at a store...........

Humans are a strange, strange species............
    Had to chime in seeing Beiber.. DING.. Brutal.
    Heard a very good interview on CBC radio coming back from the coast just recently, ( between LB, mat, and SUP wave gear, scored twice a day, so pretty stooooked...) their word was JG embodied the blue collar man and all that comes with it SO well, that many think he's at the Brando/ DeNiro/ Pacino level and ALL doubt anyone can accomplish that full on feel going forward. They mentioned a bunch of flicks that I've heard of but not seen. Early departsh 4 sure. And yes, we all want to see ourselves embodied by an actor that in some way that gives insight or defines/explains our daily. JG was heavy and made me want to watch..

So you of all people believe what the media says? The coroner said he had no alcohol in his system even though it's a better story that he was drinking excessively... He was heavy, but not morbidly obese (contrary to a lot of media reports).
    By all accounts of people that actually knew him he tried be a lot healthier the last 10 years.

Can't believe everything you see on TV... I know you know that

Quote Originally Posted by archy View Post
    I agree he did die way too young, and I don't doubt he was a great guy. I feel bad for his family too. But if he meant so much to others, don't you think he would at least take some steps to ensure that he was healthy enough to be around for them? Exsessive drinking smoking and gluttony could be considered akin to suicide, no?
    And he might have publicly spoken out against violence, but we all know people are way more influenced by fictional tv characters than the person behind the mask. I mean look at all the idiots who support Obama and his total act, but don't really care what he does when the camera is not on him.

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    So you of all people believe what the media says? The coroner said he had no alcohol in his system even though it's a better story that he was drinking excessively... He was heavy, but not morbidly obese (contrary to a lot of media reports).
    By all accounts of people that actually knew him he tried be a lot healthier the last 10 years.

Can't believe everything you see on TV... I know you know that
    Never said he was drinking heavily when he had the heart attack. alcohol only stays in system for aboot 3 days max. smoker? yes he was. the heavier you are the harder your heart has to work. salami and canolis on top, well that's a recipe for disaster. so it comes as no shocker he died so young.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Heard a very good interview on CBC radio coming back from the coast just recently, ( between LB, mat, and SUP wave gear, scored twice a day, so pretty stooooked...) their word was JG embodied the blue collar man and all that comes with it SO well, that many think he's at the Brando/ DeNiro/ Pacino level and ALL doubt anyone can accomplish that full on feel going forward. They mentioned a bunch of flicks that I've heard of but not seen. Early departsh 4 sure. And yes, we all want to see ourselves embodied by an actor that in some way that gives insight or defines/explains our daily. JG was heavy and made me want to watch..
    not all of us want to see ourselves embodied by an actor.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Holy Mackrel, a Canadian. I love Canadians. Hey man, where have you been? Let me welcome you to my country and its surf predicting websites. Let me say I love your country and your people. Best place around, man.

BIG BULDGE: Dude, shut the F up with your "the trolls are off-topic again." Man, shut it. Aren't trolls those people who just cruise and start problems just for the hell of it? Well, that didn't happen here. Anybody who uses the word "troll" to refer to dudes on a computer, and not a mythological creature who hangs around bridges is a huge dork. A dork.

Zippy: Actually, I mentioned the Hoopers first on here. I want the credit, you SOB. It means alot to me. Please post something correcting your error. You dawgs are praising them Hooper dudes, but I could have sworn that I didn't think they were that good at 1988-89 ESA contests. And their letters to surf mags were kind of gay(as in happy). Justin Citta was the best surfer in the world.

Archy: I'm a find you out, ya hear me boy.

And again Big Bulge, you shut it, ya hear. Talking aboot trolls on a James Gandolfini thread........how can you go off-topic on a James Gandolfini thread? And it's completely ridiculous that NJ's flags are at half-mast today for this dude. Wow, a fat, Italian, New Jersey guy played a fat, Italian, New Jersey mob dude. What a strectch. Don't get me wrong I liked the show, but good lord. The Wire is better, and y'all know it, and ain't nobody going to cry over Omar.