LOGIN | REGISTER

Getting into surfboard design

Hi all,

longtime lurker and first time poster.

I'm looking to get into shaping and have registered for a class. I would like to get your reccommendations on any shaping books that would be helpful. I've googled some books but with so many to choose from especially for a new b, I dont know which one(s) to look at/purchase. Any and all help is welcome and appreciated. thanks for your time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jzilla View Post
    Hi all,

longtime lurker and first time poster.

I'm looking to get into shaping and have registered for a class. I would like to get your reccommendations on any shaping books that would be helpful. I've googled some books but with so many to choose from especially for a new b, I dont know which one(s) to look at/purchase. Any and all help is welcome and appreciated. thanks for your time.
    So much information on YouTube and elsewhere. It's really a trial and error type thing but the more you know the better. At the end of the day it will still float even if its ugly.

"shaping 101" followed up w/ "glassing 101" w/ john carper (JC surfboards) is a great guide. also, if you haven't read "the ding repair scriptures", i'd highly recommend that as well.

Great big bag for when it's flat and when the surfs up go surf- That's how some of em get started!

Images
    I've shaped and glassed about 8 boards. Not one of them looked like a store bought board but all floated and were surfable. You will learn a ton about design by shaping one, riding it, then tweaking your design. It took me 3 boards before I made one that was really practical as an every board. After that I shaped 3 more that were pretty good and very usable. One thing I learned is that it's easy to make a board that will work well in one specific condition. It's a whole other thing to make a board like the pros make that is good in almost anything. That s where I always thought the skill was and that's what takes all the time to learn.