LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    big guy little board

    I'm looking for a new shortboard and id like to go as short as possible. The board will be for good chest+ days and hurricane surf. I weigh 210 and I'm 5'10" I'm an advanced intermediate and comfortable riding a variety of surf and surfboards.

    Anyone have experience on both a traditional shortboard and a more modern shorter wider board in good surf?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    philly - margate
    Posts
    77
    Images
    1
    check out a 6' hayden shapes hypto krypto im 195 and ride a 5'8. its fast and will hold in big stuff , i used that board all winter.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by es-dot View Post
    check out a 6' hayden shapes hypto krypto im 195 and ride a 5'8. its fast and will hold in big stuff , i used that board all winter.
    My buddy in hatteras has one of those but hes 50lbs lighter than me so I havent tried it. Like the look of it though

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    anywhere there is surf
    Posts
    676
    Images
    2
    Go to your local shaper and talk with him, he will give you some good ideas, its the way to go.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by fl.surfdog View Post
    Go to your local shaper and talk with him, he will give you some good ideas, its the way to go.
    I ve had bad experiences with the local shapers where I am. Maybe I was just spoiled in hatteras

  6. #6
    I'm 6'1", 205 and I picked up a 6'4" Firewire Dominator this winter specifically because of my big guy/shortboard complex. I used it during the Andrea swell and the few decent swells before/after Andrea and it was great. Definitely my favorite board right now. Holds nicely in overhead stuff. You could probably go 6'2", maybe shorter but the 6'4" is perfect for me right now.

    I also took it out with NJShredmachine in 23 foot overhead beachbreak here in NJ. It also did well in that.

  7. #7
    [QUOTE=NJAZguy;173851]I'm 6'1", 205 and I picked up a 6'4" Firewire Dominator this winter specifically because of my big guy/shortboard complex. I used it during the Andrea swell and the few decent swells before/after Andrea and it was great. Definitely my favorite board right now. Holds nicely in overhead stuff. You could probably go 6'2", maybe shorter but the 6'4" is perfect for me right now.

    I also took it out with NJShredmachine in 23 foot overhead beachbreak here in NJ. It also did well in that.[/QUOTE

    Havent seen one of those yet. Ill have to check it out at sweetwater. Being able to ride 23' surf is a must

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,518
    Images
    5
    I am 6'1" 190lbs or so. I have a 6'6" Firewire Spitfire that I love. I just picked up a 5'9" Firewire Baked Potato Timbertek and I couldn't be happier with it. It just flies on surf knee high and up and catches everything in site. Much more floaty than the Spitfire and that took some getting used to but after the last week I think I got it down. Already had two guys on the beach walk up and ask me what I was riding since it looks so small and I have gotten some crazy long rides over flat sections etc that a normal board would never make unless you weighed under 135lbs. Great boards, both of them.
    Last edited by Zippy; Jun 24, 2013 at 05:58 PM.

  9. #9




    Oh yeah, I ride it mostly as a quad, with MRTFX up front, and small GL trailers in the back. But when it's bigger and has some punch, I swap the 2 GL trailers for the 1 MR trailer. It's fast as hell as a quad, and I definitely lose some speed, but when it's got push, it just feels right as a tri on the drop/bottom turn. More stable and more confidence inspiring

    Bigger but not heavy (think short period windswell), I leave it as a quad and enjoy the extra speed.

    It's a real fun board, just wish I could ride it more.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,513
    Quote Originally Posted by pkovo View Post




    Oh yeah, I ride it mostly as a quad, with MRTFX up front, and small GL trailers in the back. But when it's bigger and has some punch, I swap the 2 GL trailers for the 1 MR trailer. It's fast as hell as a quad, and I definitely lose some speed, but when it's got push, it just feels right as a tri on the drop/bottom turn. More stable and more confidence inspiring

    Bigger but not heavy (think short period windswell), I leave it as a quad and enjoy the extra speed.

    It's a real fun board, just wish I could ride it more.
    +1 Coil is the way!