LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the advice waterbaby. I'll look more into long boards rather than alt boards. But what do you think of something in between a long board. Like a 6'5 to 7'5 fish shape or something like that?

Thanks for the advice waterbaby. I'll look more at longboards rather than alt boards. But what do you think about in between boards? Maybe like a 6'5 to 7'5 fish shape or something that size? Something that still has a lot of volume but isn't a full on 8 to 9 foot longboard?

for what you say you mostly surf (knee to waist) a roundnose fish will work well too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WillyM View Post
    My question is, can only a longboard do this? I'm not opposed to getting a long board or a fun board, but I have never owned one so I don't know what size or shape to get.

Or, should I look more into something like the CI Biscuit or Fishcuit, Bing Dharma, Lost coach potato etc. I really like the look of all those boards as they are more maneuverable.
    These short wide stubby boards like the Dharma, Lost Couch Potato...seems like everyones making one now....are a blast in waves as small as you care to ride. Right now i've got two 5'7" x 22" mini simmons (one twin, one quad) that kill it in tiny surf. Knee high is truly no problem for these boards as long as you go wiiiide. IMHO they work better than a log in those little beach/sand bar waves because you can turn right back into the pocket on a 1-2 foot wave without losing any speed.

Dont waste your time on the 6'5" - 7'5" in-between for tiny waves. Go very short and very wide, or get a longboard.
    Last edited by mitchell; Jun 24, 2013 at 04:10 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WillyM View Post
    Thanks for the advice waterbaby. I'll look more at longboards rather than alt boards. But what do you think about in between boards? Maybe like a 6'5 to 7'5 fish shape or something that size? Something that still has a lot of volume but isn't a full on 8 to 9 foot longboard?
    many would say anything 7.5 or less is a shortboard. The shorter you go, the more paddling is needed. More volume, the shorter you go, is good...but it also can be "corky" (sit high on the water, roll on turns and other unpleasant stuff).

like I said, learning on a longboard is like starting surfing all over again...is not like a shortboard at all, imo. The sooner you learn to handle a longboard, the better.

I have a hybrid 5'9" (I'm 5'10" 165) that I like when the surf's around knee-waist high, or bigger but mushy. But this year I added a longboard to my quiver for summer, and I love it for the ankle to knee high days. Easily my board of choice if it's 1-2'. I get waaaay more mileage out of it than my hybrid would in surf that small. I live in Delaware and it's teeny tiny this time of year.

The other advantage is that I've never really longboarded much until I got this one, it's a very different style of surfing and can teach you a lot. Adding it to my repertoire I feel has really made me a better surfer on both short and long boards. I like to learn a bit every time I surf, more time on waves = more learning.

I'd go for a longboard if you can only get one board right now...

Dont waste your time on the 6'5" - 7'5" in-between for tiny waves. Go very short and very wide, or get a longboard.
    Yup, short and wide would be my choice, more fun then a log most of the time

Images
    i have a 5'8 lost bottom feeder and a 9'2 tudor longboard i dont even take out the tudor anymore in fact im selling it . the bottom feeder works great in small mush .i guess its personal preference if you want to just trim and ride down the line yeah go for a longboard . if you want to get some turns in and still not struggle to get waves try something like a bottom feeder .

Images
    I made this board about a year ago, and rode it a bunch of times last summer and liked it. Put it away for the winter, and then rode it a bunch of times the last couple of months during all of these clean little days we've been having.

Finally decided this is the best small wave board I've had yet. Grovels in tiny waves better than a round nose fish, but with the quad setup you can do some real turns when the waves permit. Loving it on small days!

Dims are 5'7" x 22" x 2 3/8"

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    I made this board about a year ago, and rode it a bunch of times last summer and liked it. Put it away for the winter, and then rode it a bunch of times the last couple of months during all of these clean little days we've been having.

Finally decided this is the best small wave board I've had yet. Grovels in tiny waves better than a round nose fish, but with the quad setup you can do some real turns when the waves permit. Loving it on small days!

Dims are 5'7" x 22" x 2 3/8"

Sick board, good work!