LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    4,074
    Images
    6
    That's dead on, if you drive through New Haven you'll go from the Yale campus full of the elite and in a matter of two blocks you're in the hood. Same thing around east rock...highly affluent community to third world country in a matter of 2 or 3 blocks.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hammonton, NJ
    Posts
    1,557
    Images
    7
    I've heard this argument before from a Hampton, VA resident while knocking down Corolla Gold's in upscale, Corolla, NC

    "The south is less racist than the north primarily based on neighborhood segregation.........."

    While I still would have to give the south, especially the deep south, the nod in prevailing racial prejudices, it is a pretty hard thing to determine.

    But the Northeast's segregation isn't really due to current racial attitudes. It's more generational and historical. Most of the NE's minority neighborhoods have been so, for decades.....a century. Many of these neighborhoods existed during the time when the south still had separate services, and such, for whites and blacks. And considering most minority neighborhoods are composed of those on the lower economic stratasphere, generational poverty tends to keep the staus quo. Basically the NE's "segregation" is more economic than racial in nature.

    African Americans flocked to the big cities in the late 1800's, and 1950's prosperity lauched the emergence of the suburbs, and a society that started to become more suburban-centered. The cities have been losing the status of "society's focal points" ever since.

    I mean, look how many southern politicians just can't stand the fact that a black guy is the Whitehouse.......Well, at least it's not a woman. HEY NOW !!

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    I mean, look how many southern politicians just can't stand the fact that a black guy is the Whitehouse.......Well, at least it's not a woman. HEY NOW !!
    He's also white, but funny how nobody talks about it, a person can be bi-racial / tri-racial and they only thing they see is black, idk why, but this is how society is. I agree though, at least it's not a woman, HEYOOOOOH!

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monmouth Beach, NJ
    Posts
    2,441
    Many years ago I predicted there will be a white woman in the presidency before a black man. I was wrong.

    But that's NBD... I'm wrong about something every day.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wilmington
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    I've heard this argument before from a Hampton, VA resident while knocking down Corolla Gold's in upscale, Corolla, NC

    "The south is less racist than the north primarily based on neighborhood segregation.........."

    While I still would have to give the south, especially the deep south, the nod in prevailing racial prejudices, it is a pretty hard thing to determine.

    But the Northeast's segregation isn't really due to current racial attitudes. It's more generational and historical. Most of the NE's minority neighborhoods have been so, for decades.....a century. Many of these neighborhoods existed during the time when the south still had separate services, and such, for whites and blacks. And considering most minority neighborhoods are composed of those on the lower economic stratasphere, generational poverty tends to keep the staus quo. Basically the NE's "segregation" is more economic than racial in nature.

    African Americans flocked to the big cities in the late 1800's, and 1950's prosperity lauched the emergence of the suburbs, and a society that started to become more suburban-centered. The cities have been losing the status of "society's focal points" ever since.

    I mean, look how many southern politicians just can't stand the fact that a black guy is the Whitehouse.......Well, at least it's not a woman. HEY NOW !!
    idk, Bill. I don't see a difference between civilly enforced segregation based solely on race and socioeconomic segregation. If the NE is so stratified socioeconomically, and by default race (as is your position) and it is so rooted in history, then tell me which region has evolved the most past a historic norm? What is your explanation for the NE continuing to be so socioeconomically stratified (again, in your position, by default race)? It's easy to blame any stratification in the South on racism.... so what's the North's excuse? Would you not call that socioeconomic racism?

    AAAAANNNDDDD.... Please explain to me why all the gated neighborhoods in Wilmington were developed by people from NY and NJ and then subsequently populated in large part by white people from the NE... and the rest by local white people? What are they trying to hide from?

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    idk, Bill. I don't see a difference between civilly enforced segregation based solely on race and socioeconomic segregation. If the NE is so stratified socioeconomically, and by default race (as is your position) and it is so rooted in history, then tell me which region has evolved the most past a historic norm? What is your explanation for the NE continuing to be so socioeconomically stratified (again, in your position, by default race)? It's easy to blame any stratification in the South on racism.... so what's the North's excuse? Would you not call that socioeconomic racism?

    AAAAANNNDDDD.... Please explain to me why all the gated neighborhoods in Wilmington were developed by people from NY and NJ and then subsequently populated in large part by white people from the NE... and the rest by local white people? What are they trying to hide from?
    I think the only difference between most northern and southern states, is that the north hides racism behind the curtains of class warfare, while the south just comes right out and says they are pro-white.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LBI
    Posts
    905
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    idk, Bill. I don't see a difference between civilly enforced segregation based solely on race and socioeconomic segregation. If the NE is so stratified socioeconomically, and by default race (as is your position) and it is so rooted in history, then tell me which region has evolved the most past a historic norm? What is your explanation for the NE continuing to be so socioeconomically stratified (again, in your position, by default race)? It's easy to blame any stratification in the South on racism.... so what's the North's excuse? Would you not call that socioeconomic racism?

    AAAAANNNDDDD.... Please explain to me why all the gated neighborhoods in Wilmington were developed by people from NY and NJ and then subsequently populated in large part by white people from the NE... and the rest by local white people? What are they trying to hide from?
    jobs and less racism, lynching, etc. in the north is what caused the great migration. you had 6 million african americans moving into cities and filling lower wage jobs because even though they sucked, it wasn't as bad as the south. as more and more started coming in, the whites started moving out. "i have nothing against other races, as long as they're not living next door" was the general mentality. since they were making more money, the city's taxes went with them and then followed government devices like police, education etc. thus contributing to the overall decay of now predominately black areas. generations after would be trapped in the cycle of being born into poverty and then not be given the same opportunities or developmental conditions as someone born into say, gated wilmington

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hammonton, NJ
    Posts
    1,557
    Images
    7
    Erock, sir(curtsey, followed by a hand-kiss, and another bow........now that's proper southern etiquette)

    Well, most upper-middle-class white folk around here are so politically correct these days that "being racist" just isn't kosher no more. Whether peoples' hearts are in the right place or not, I don't know, but outright discrimination based on skin color isn't real apparent here.

    There are so many smaller municipaliites around here, mostly lower-middle and middle class, that these younger generations don't even see race anymore. They grew up fairly integrated.

    Ok about these neighborhoods/areas:

    Take West Philly(incompassing many neighborhoods), it's been primarily African American for the longest of time. It's also fairly impoverished, housing a few of the roughest neighborhoods in the U.S. Besides gentrification, why would middle class white folks move there? Is that being racist? Maybe in some cases, but why would they want to move to a less upwardly mobile location. I mean that's like The Fresh Prince moving from West Philly to North Philly(North Philly is top of the food chain around here, for those who don't know).

    Yes, there are poor white people in Philly. Are a lot of them racist? Hell, yeah. But then again some of them aren't. Just like in the trailer park in Alabama. And "their" neighborhoods are shrinking in size and population very quickly.......Actually, the angry white racist guy in South Philly or Port Richmond is a dying breed.

    So the south's poorer neighborhoods are all racially integrated?

    And Erock, yes northerners might come to your area to live, but for God's sakes man, they have to keep the undesireables out of their neighborhoods !! Lil Wayne and Larry the Cable Guy need not apply. I'M JUST JOKING PEOPLE SO RELAX........

    Oh yo, do any of youse southern guys have a "GIT R DONE" sticker on your pick-up trucks ? Ah ha ha ha.......

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wilmington
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Well, most upper-middle-class white folk around here are so politically correct these days that "being racist" just isn't kosher no more. Whether peoples' hearts are in the right place or not, I don't know, but outright discrimination based on skin color isn't real apparent here.

    Right up until you secretly put microphones in their homes and listen to their reaction as a semi-rough looking person of color walks down their street after the sun sets. (yeah, given the current trial going on in FL, I know I just walked into that one, but the point is still valid.....). And to add to the point, how welcome do you suppose a N. Philly resident would make an upwardly mobile person from City Line feel if they bought a house next door?

    And where is "outright discrimination based on skin color" blatantly apparent in the South? (other than a klan rally)

    And no, not all the poorer neighborhoods are racially integrate. But as you say, the overtly racist people are a dying breed.... that includes the South.

    I dunno, it just seems the general mentality of the North to "how it is" in the South really isn't "how it is. But it's perpetuated to satisfy the North's "we're superior to the South" attitude that many cling to without regard.


    I was given a zippo with a rebel flag that had Larry's voice saying "giterdone" when you opened the cap as a gag gift. It's awesome.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hammonton, NJ
    Posts
    1,557
    Images
    7
    Erock, I'm aboot to go on my front porch and stare at my neighbors and people going by..............

    But I actually never really think aboot who is more racist. I've seen a few Jerry Springer episodes and it seems like all y'all are getting along.

    Yes, I offered some of my opinions, oh wait were those facts? lol But, actually, I'm not really one of them people who think the south is still holding onto some inherent racism. I mean, when it gets mentioned, and I had to take a side, yeah, I would pick the south as more racist. But I'm not looking down on any of youse guys. I could give you some political examples of why I feel that way, but I won't.

    And I lament the loss of Northeastern superiority. Totally don't think that exists anymore. Though it might be the reason things are so messed up !! Bring back Northeastern manufacturing and political power !!

    Ok bye, y'all. Y'all come back now ya hear. God, I miss Flo from the TV show Alice.