LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Tsunami in New Jersey ?

I used to say, " One good thing aboot New Jersey is that we are pretty much free of natural disasters, save some flooding here and there."

We've had an earthquake, a derecho, a superstorm hurricane in late October, and now.........

It has been confirmed that a tsunami hit the Barnegat Inlet area June 13, 2013.

must have been a tiny tsunami since thats right up the beach from me and i never noticed it

Images
    Isn't there a giant piece of a volcano in the Canaries that's in the right position to send a significant tsunami to the NY area when the landslide occurs?

Images
    Yeah, nothing big. It knocked a couple of crackers off the jetty. But the trend of natural events occurring in Nueve Yersey is starting to concern high school seniors and volleyball enthusiasts across the state.

I just saw it on the news at 4:00 when I posted, but you know how first reports go. Another source called the event, "Tsunami-like waves."

You KNOW NJShredmachine was on that sh&T!!!

Images
    Yea that report of the "Meteo-Tsunami" is pretty crazy. The reports I read are comparing it to the one that damaged cars on the beach in Daytona a few years ago. I still don't really understand calling a surge that's weather-related a Tsunami, but they are:

http://thesandpaper.villagesoup.com/...rapins/1020216

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Isn't there a giant piece of a volcano in the Canaries that's in the right position to send a significant tsunami to the NY area when the landslide occurs?
    Cumbre Viejo on La Palma. We have 8 hours after the side slides, which is enough if doesn't happen when we're sleeping. Most say that the mid Atlantic ridge is more likely to do damage.

Yeah, volcanologists say it's not a question of if, it's only a question of when.

Shred Machine def got tubed on those waves!

Images
    it's happened before:

Some other tsunamis affecting the East Coast include:

• November 14, 1840 - Delaware River: referred to as “The Great Swell on the Delaware River”

• January 9, 1926 – Maine: No one was injured, but “monster waves” hurled 50 fishing boats ashore and washed thousands of flounder from their winter beds in the Harbor bottom mud”.

• Aug 19, 1931 Atlantic City, NJ 3 Dead

• Sep 21, 1938 New Jersey coast Scores injured, some seriously

• Jul 3-4, 1992 Daytona Beach, FL 75 injured
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...b9AV_blog.html