LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Quad Setup

Rear Quad Setup

just ordered a custom for surf the in the 2-5' range - basically an all around go to east coast board. ordered it as a 5 fin, and was thinking about just picking up a set of quad rear fins - 375 Quad Rears.
    http://www.thesurfboardwarehouse.com...ll-models.aspx

i will probably ride it mostly as a thruster but definitely want to give it a go as a quad as well. just trying to save a few bucks instead of ordering full quad set since i have a ton of future thruster setups. anybody have these or have any feedback. and if so, what other fins have you ridden them with for the fronts.

depending on how big you are & the placement, i think 375's might be a bit on the small side. i've found that i prefer 400's or slightly larger (410-420 or so) for quad rears. is it more of a hp shape w/ a center line placement or a fishy type shape w/ a rail placement? i've gone as big as 435 for my rears on a wide tailed simmons type board.

im like 6' 185. i would say the board is more of a hybrid - not fish but not hpsb either. i actually am talking to the shaper about fin placement to see what he recommends with this design.

Quote Originally Posted by SJerzSrfr View Post
    i actually am talking to the shaper about fin placement to see what he recommends with this design.
    Smart move.

Images
    I'm looking for my first quad/convertible. For years, I actually thought quads were a fad/gimmick...until I finally researched the design in depth. Any extra speed the quad allows in small/mushy waves is always welcome and I can switch back to a tri when the waves get steeper....plus, I can't deny quads look freakin' cool

I moved away from the quad. On bigger days it generated a little more speed/stability, but it took away from the slightly loose tail feel which I like. I guess it depends on your local wave, too. But like you said, you can just switch it up which is cool.

Images
    only thing that concerns me about 5 fin convertibles is the possible extra tail weight. FCS might be o.k., but future boxes and fins are a bit heavier. Wouldn't matter on better waves, but small/mushy waves need all the help they can get and an unbalanced, tail heavy board seems like a negative.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    I can switch back to a tri when the waves get steeper....
    you might find you don't want to once you experience the extra hold a good quad provides!

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Smart move.
    100% agree!

that said, i'd prob. recommend a 400 or larger regardless of fin placement based on your size...you're the same height & weight as i am.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby
    I can switch back to a tri when the waves get steeper....

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    you might find you don't want to once you experience the extra hold a good quad provides!
    true, but I was talking about hard bottom turns and going straight up to the lip on steep waves. I see some pros can manage that on quads, but others, not so much