LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Obx?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Anybody ever surf up at Kill Devil Hills? I had one session there like 14 years ago when a friend of mine went to college up that way, was a choppy mess, but made the most of it, I just remember how chill the vibe was
    Yeah man. 1st St. in KDH is like the main go to spot in the area........at least it used to be. It's where all the cool kids, and masses alike, hang on hot July days. It used to come on quite a bit, though usually further south offered something better......usually.....maybe. Used to be a totally rippable wave. Maybe it still is......maybe it's not.

Too bad you probably can't move there. Probably would be hard to find a job in your sector. You gotta like the service industry, house building and real estate there. But not only would you be isolated from the outside world, but also your Floridian families. So I guess the odds are against a move there. Buffered by that Currituck County, Dukes of Hazzard, inland southland. The Dare county beaches don't offer a southern culture shock, but the Currituck mainland can and will.

But man, if you ignore the overzealous police and some fiesty born-and-bred locals(only some) the place is the best. It has a special vibe there that can't be matched anywhere. You feel more coastal there. You feel more in-tune with nature. It's totally laid back. You get the summer craziness leveled off by winter peace. If the sand is cooperating you can always find a peak to yourself. You got the Bible Thumpers and the pirates(drinkers, smokers, fornicators).......A sort of polarization yet still homogenous at the same time.

Rt 12(The Beach Road) in Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head is, like, the best stretch of road ever. And the pelicans!! Outer Banks pelicans are second to none.

Ahhh that first warm spring swell when all of the local school kids dust of the surf equipment.....and Landroumats is serving up wedging 3-5 foot glass, you'll never have a better post-surf dinner.....or supper....or suppahhh. A monumental moment celebrating the end of a long, lonely winter..........or

That first, post-summer September 'cane swell when the line-ups are once again relatively empty. The sun shines happy and warm, and you're back in that comfortable cacoon that summer tore open and sexually assaulted. Man, you can't be anywhere better on the right coast than October in the Banks. The crowds are down, the water is warm, the waves keep coming(maybe), all the businesses are open minus the crowds and the weather is beuatiful. Spiritual, SUP, down right spiritual.

Damn, any Jersey clowns want to take me on a Banks trip ?? Anyone??

I've never once been in a crowded lineup in the OBX

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Yeah man. 1st St. in KDH is like the main go to spot in the area........at least it used to be. It's where all the cool kids, and masses alike, hang on hot July days. It used to come on quite a bit, though usually further south offered something better......usually.....maybe. Used to be a totally rippable wave. Maybe it still is......maybe it's not.

Too bad you probably can't move there. Probably would be hard to find a job in your sector. You gotta like the service industry, house building and real estate there. But not only would you be isolated from the outside world, but also your Floridian families. So I guess the odds are against a move there. Buffered by that Currituck County, Dukes of Hazzard, inland southland. The Dare county beaches don't offer a southern culture shock, but the Currituck mainland can and will.

But man, if you ignore the overzealous police and some fiesty born-and-bred locals(only some) the place is the best. It has a special vibe there that can't be matched anywhere. You feel more coastal there. You feel more in-tune with nature. It's totally laid back. You get the summer craziness leveled off by winter peace. If the sand is cooperating you can always find a peak to yourself. You got the Bible Thumpers and the pirates(drinkers, smokers, fornicators).......A sort of polarization yet still homogenous at the same time.

Rt 12(The Beach Road) in Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head is, like, the best stretch of road ever. And the pelicans!! Outer Banks pelicans are second to none.

Ahhh that first warm spring swell when all of the local school kids dust of the surf equipment.....and Landroumats is serving up wedging 3-5 foot glass, you'll never have a better post-surf dinner.....or supper....or suppahhh. A monumental moment celebrating the end of a long, lonely winter..........or

That first, post-summer September 'cane swell when the line-ups are once again relatively empty. The sun shines happy and warm, and you're back in that comfortable cacoon that summer tore open and sexually assaulted. Man, you can't be anywhere better on the right coast than October in the Banks. The crowds are down, the water is warm, the waves keep coming(maybe), all the businesses are open minus the crowds and the weather is beuatiful. Spiritual, SUP, down right spiritual.

Damn, any Jersey clowns want to take me on a Banks trip ?? Anyone??
    Sounds about right man, I remember walking away from that place thinking if I ever get a chance to move out of state that would be the place. It's still on the list of future possibilities, but we're going to start with E. Florida 1st and see how that goes.

I remember having lunch at a restaurant right there overlooking the water up on stilts, it was a very overcast day, with chest to head high surf, pretty nasty out but something about it still seemed perfect. Hard to explain...

I got skunked on my last trip down there and did nothing but drink. Land of stilts. Couple of hillbilly mainlanders from NC who were on a fishing trip were our neighbors. They fired up the country music at 4:15 am every morning when they woke up. I swear to god you could hear them cracking bud lights at 4:16 am.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Sounds about right man, I remember walking away from that place thinking if I ever get a chance to move out of state that would be the place. It's still on the list of future possibilities, but we're going to start with E. Florida 1st and see how that goes.

I remember having lunch at a restaurant right there overlooking the water up on stilts, it was a very overcast day, with chest to head high surf, pretty nasty out but something about it still seemed perfect. Hard to explain...
    Yeah dude, you don't have to try and explain.......I, and others in the know, already understand. Not even Emassspicoli could put the feeling into words.......

Just like that short-haired broad told Johhny Utah during that moment when he first understood surfing, "You don't have to say anything, I understand........"

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Yeah dude, you don't have to try and explain.......I, and others in the know, already understand. Not even Emassspicoli could put the feeling into words.......

Just like that short-haired broad told Johhny Utah during that moment when he first understood surfing, "You don't have to say anything, I understand........"
    Word......

Quote Originally Posted by Manisses View Post
    I got skunked on my last trip down there and did nothing but drink. Land of stilts. Couple of hillbilly mainlanders from NC who were on a fishing trip were our neighbors. They fired up the country music at 4:15 am every morning when they woke up. I swear to god you could hear them cracking bud lights at 4:16 am.
    The sound of beers opening was probably their alarm clock! You should have joined them!

Jetty Bear - i believe you are referring to the scene where Tyler assumed Utah was going to tell her he loved her when in fact he was trying to tell her he was a narc "Guys are so bad at this....shhh (putting finger to his lips...you dont have to say anything"

pretty sad that I even know those lines

in another topic: Is EmassSpicoli actually Aaron Hernandez?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Jetty Bear - i believe you are referring to the scene where Tyler assumed Utah was going to tell her he loved her when in fact he was trying to tell her he was a narc "Guys are so bad at this....shhh (putting finger to his lips...you dont have to say anything"

pretty sad that I even know those lines

Oh smack, he's missing today isn't he? Well, I'll be damned. Good observation, Wombat. That's fascinating. Imagine that. That would be kind of classic, huh?

Aboot Tyler, I could have sworn there was a scene when Johnny was trying to explain what he was feeling after finally standing up and riding. I could have sworn...........

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Hernandez is a serial killer, under investigation for ANOTHER murder, a double homocide, and yes, it was outside of another night club. Why do people go to night clubs again?