LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The domed deck idea I like. You get good hi performance rails with extra volume for paddling speed, but it won't be all floaty and dig rail on a jacked up wave. A double thick stringer is a good idea too! Keep shredding bro!

might want to consider Hydroflex 3D. Get it glassed over standard poly foam so it doesn't interfere with weight balance or flex as much as EPS foam.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    might want to consider Hydroflex 3D. Get it glassed over standard poly foam so it doesn't interfere with weight balance or flex as much as EPS foam.
    Flex is a good thing if done correctly.

The flex characteristics of most surfboard EPS and polyurethane foam are almost identical. It's what you do with the skins that changes the flex. Weight, however, will be very different... and that's where the difference in feel begins. A lighter core means you can glass it heavier for strength. Heavier glass means stiffer, all other factors held constant. So what do most board builders do to get some flex back? Go thinner. That's where the, "EPS is more buyoant, so you can go thinner" thing came from. It's not because the EPS/epoxy board "has more buoyancy." It's because if you want to get the same feel out of a heavily glassed board, the easiest thing to do that costs no money is take an eighth off the thickness. People misinterpreted that as EPS having more buoyancy, but if you paid attention in high school, you learned that buoyancy is a function of volume, not material.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Jun 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM.

Aviso carbon fiber boards

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    The flex characteristics of most surfboard EPS and polyurethane foam are almost identical. It's what you do with the skins that changes the flex. Weight, however, will be very different... and that's where the difference in feel begins. A lighter core means you can glass it heavier for strength. Heavier glass means stiffer, all other factors held constant. So what do most board builders do to get some flex back? Go thinner. That's where the, "EPS is more buyoant, so you can go thinner" thing came from. It's not because the EPS/" It's because if you want to get the same feel out of a heavily glassed board, the easiest thing to do that costs no money is take an eighth off the thickness. People misinterpreted that as EPS having more buoyancy, but if you paid attention in high school, you learned that buoyancy is a function of volume, not material.
    are you saying eps/epoxy boards only feel more bouyant because of less glass?...I don't believe it.

granted, the difference between current poly foam and eps are relatively small...but the difference between the old clark foam and eps was fairly extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by glassyandsunny View Post
    Aviso carbon fiber boards
    Saw one snapped on a waist high day at the Hook a few years ago. I wouldn't adviso it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Saw one snapped on a waist high day at the Hook a few years ago. I wouldn't adviso it.
    Ya they sure look cool- and they are light and super bouyant.. but I would agree, not sure about the strength. One of my buddies had one and it didnt last too long... before i knew it- it was gone...

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    are you saying eps/epoxy boards only feel more bouyant because of less glass?...I don't believe it.

granted, the difference between current poly foam and eps are relatively small...but the difference between the old clark foam and eps was fairly extreme.
    No... I'm saying EPS/epoxy boards feel more buoyant because of their reduced weight, if glassed the same as a PU/PE. But if you glass them heavier, so they come out equal in both weight and volume as an identical PU/PE, they will have no added float or buoyancy. They'll just be stiff as a board... but really tough.

There's still a drastic difference between today's PU and today's EPS, if you're comparing apples to apples; in other words, standard density PU ("blue" density) and standard density EPS ("2lb. EPS). The EPS will be a fraction of the weight of the PU, but with almost identical flex characteristics, unglassed and with the same stringer.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Jun 28, 2013 at 03:33 PM.