LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Rhode Island -- Where are the Bodyboarders?

    I hit up Second Beach a lot and I pretty much never see another bodyboarder -- I did see one guy during the Andrea swell but he wasn't able to successfully paddle out much less catch any waves (at least that I could see). <br /><br />Is there some other spot that all the bodyboarders go to? Or are there just not really any bodyboarders?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    4,667
    Images
    6
    No we're here dude, can only speak for myself but I'm always on the other side, pretty much from Westerly to the 'Gansett/PJ area...a couple dudes I talk to are in the Newport area more.

  3. #3
    Cool, I've never tried any of the spots on that side -- I'm not very good so I am usually more comfortable with big beach break spots where I can have a good amount of room to myself even on a crowded day...

    Are there specific breaks where bodyboarders tend to hang out or are you just out there at the same spots as the surfers?

    The only time I've checked out the PJ / gansett breaks was during a sunny-weekend-day-hurricane-swell last year and when I saw the ~500 surfers fighting over the 1 wave I didn't even bother getting in the water, just headed across the bridges back over to Newport...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,024
    Seldom, you are giving away all hot spots!!! LOL

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    4,667
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeroevol View Post
    Seldom, you are giving away all hot spots!!! LOL
    I know, I know, just couldn't resist

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    4,667
    Images
    6
    I've been meaning to take the trip across the bridge and check things out over there, definitely plan on it once the summer's over. But there's no real sponge-specific spots, there are some where there are more of us than usual, and I can always find an empty beachbreak peak(except for the next 2 months)...cool thing about the town beach in 'gansett is you can bodyboard the whole beach, while the surfers have designated areas.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    I've been meaning to take the trip across the bridge and check things out over there, definitely plan on it once the summer's over. But there's no real sponge-specific spots, there are some where there are more of us than usual, and I can always find an empty beachbreak peak(except for the next 2 months)...cool thing about the town beach in 'gansett is you can bodyboard the whole beach, while the surfers have designated areas.
    Yeah the flags are the best thing since sliced bread for spongers. Keeps you safer and all the waves you want!
    I'd plan on visiting BEFORE summer is over. 2ND beach is one of the most crowded breaks in the whole state. During the summer the flags designating surfing area's are up so spongers got a spot all to themselves
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Jun 27, 2013 at 04:24 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    4,667
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Yeah the flags are the best thing since sliced bread for spongers. Keeps you safer and all the waves you want!
    I'd plan on visiting BEFORE summer is over. 2ND beach is one of the most crowded breaks in the whole state. During the summer the flags designating surfing area's are up so spongers got a spot all to themselves
    Yes sir, those flags open up a world of possibilites for us...will definitely get over to and and check it out soon...seen pics of it and looks like it goes off in the right conditions.

  9. #9
    Are you talking about flags for surf-restricted spots at gansett or at 2nd? Or do both have this? I'm still kinda a beginner so I don't have a ton of control, so I pretty much avoid any crowds or anywhere I could possibly run into anyone... sometimes I just kinda go flying wherever the wave throws me, you know?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by epictetus View Post
    Are you talking about flags for surf-restricted spots at gansett or at 2nd? Or do both have this? I'm still kinda a beginner so I don't have a ton of control, so I pretty much avoid any crowds or anywhere I could possibly run into anyone... sometimes I just kinda go flying wherever the wave throws me, you know?
    They both have flags. You can go anywhere you want on a bodyboard.