LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    you never learn the important lessons in life the easy way.
    thats wrong learn from others that came before you.

Homes are now 500% more than they were 30 years ago. And salaries are not...

Quote Originally Posted by jrs View Post
    What has changed that people are no longer anxious to get out and take on the world? Anxious to be on their own? Take all the responsibility good or ill on their own shoulders just because it was exciting to have their own life.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    Dude... You need to chill. I'm new to this forum and all the posting and lurking I have done has made it seem like the atmosphere around here is more fun/joking than serious. I'm sorry my joke seemed to offend you. If it makes any difference I have nothing but respect and admiration for wounded warriors. I even backed off a girl that was really into me to give an Iraqi veteran who lost a leg in combat a chance at her; they are now I happy couple. I smile every time I see a picture of them together because I know it makes him happy.

Anyways, to answer some of the questions asked, I graduated from the University of Mary Washignton with a degree in Biology. My grades were good, but not good enough for a profession like doctor or dentist. I currently work as an intermodal terminal manager which is a pretty hard job to get for a guy my age, but I was fortunate enough to be best friends with the son of a trucking executive... I realize I am very fortunate. Everything has been given to me and I have nothing but respect for those of you that worked for everything you have, be that a college education or a good job, etc. I realize my situation is not unique. This forum just seems like a very good resource, with an eclectic range of people from various backgrounds and age ranges, to seek advice on such a topic, as I'm sure several of you have gone through this phase yourselves
    Yea im an Earth and Environmental Science major. I have like 3.0 overall but not good enough probably to get into grad school. just gonna try to find a job in CA or somewhere with better waves than VB haha

Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    thats wrong learn from others that came before you.
    Pumpmaster is not wrong, he's right.

Are you, sandblaster, saying that junior should stay under mama's skirts....?

Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    My P's moved away from me. Dad got transferred to Utah. Sorry Mammy and pappy, no waves there.
    Reason for everything eh homey?

Quote Originally Posted by jrs View Post
    What has changed that people are no longer anxious to get out and take on the world? Anxious to be on their own? Take all the responsibility good or ill on their own shoulders just because it was exciting to have their own life.
    It started with authority figures and mentors being persecuted when a young person showed lack of accountability. What's the value in making mistakes if you're not set up to pay for and learn from them. Someone earlier mentioned learning from mistakes of others before us. That's practical, but idealistic and few of us are capable of consistent learning vicariously through others. We need to touch the hot stove and feel the pain.

Then it progressed to everyone getting a trophy. Oh, you didn't kick ass and come in first? Get on your horse and fill in your gaps by existing just outside the edge of your comfort zone. If being mediocre or worse is condoned, motivation towards achievement becomes nil.

There are no jobs when you get out of college? Then take a risk (necessary for success always) and create one as a sole proprietor. The risk becomes non-existent when you lay it all on the line by sheer commitment and success is now a "when" not an "if". So your near quarter mil priced private college kept you from getting a job? Then you should've been an apprentice and hit the grind in a vocational trade out of high school.

Then again, those who've been getting handouts all along know nothing else other than to wait with their outstretched hands looking for the next handout.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do and in what years? Times are different now. There aren't as many good oppurtunities for bachelor's degrees anymore. Heck, I had dreams of joining the Coast Guard or Navy but now is not a time they are accepting people into their officer programs. My dad got into Navy OCS with mediocre grades and a history degree. That wouldn't even be considered today
    You aspired for a military career yet you joke about wounded warriors. Don't know if your father ever had active duty, maybe he did, maybe he was reserve. What if he were a wounded warrior? Still joking about an amputee then after they risked their ass and rest of their life for you? Run out of your parents' door full speed tomorrow and feel the weight of the world around you. Have it kick you in the ass six or three hundred times. See if you get up. Unless your arrested development via handouts has eternally screwed you (possible) then you will get up. And when you stand up each time you are stronger and better and have clearer perspective on the world.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    gotta agree. My son is 16 and he already knows that he is not allowed to move back in. he's going to have to learn the hard lessons of life.
    And he will be a good man for it. By that time, he will know you did this out of love if he doesn't know that already.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    Save as much money as possible.Don't start renting and throwing your money away.Wait until you can buy a place even if a fixer upper.Get some equity going Once you start to rent it's hard to save up for a home.
    You have that "equity" any time the market has hit the floor in the last few decades? Home ownership has its benefits. It also raises your financial liability immensely and when things go wrong with repairs and upkeep it can be a money pit. It's only hard to save up for a home once you start to rent if you're not trading up for most else and just pissing your budget away. Read up on the stats of renting. It changes from time to time, but the renter has freedom that the home owner does not. Nothing is so absolute as people make it to be on this topic.

Everything has been given to me
    There you have it folks.

I highly doubt you truly respect others that have not been handed it all and still made it for you are an adult's chronological age and have yet to feel what it's like to pull the heavy sled of independence and responsibility. When you're the one putting your own food on the table and the shirt on your back, you look at everything a whole lot differently. That's when you can begin to have respect for someone, when you've walked a mile in their shoes.