LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    My P's moved away from me. Dad got transferred to Utah. Sorry Mammy and pappy, no waves there.

Great advice here

"Some of my best times in life were in the years when all of us were battling to make it, usually always broke, it didn't matter much in retrospect, we were too busy laughing & living."

Save enough to move out comfortably and get started. Don't be that weird uncle we all have.

Save as much money as possible.Don't start renting and throwing your money away.Wait until you can buy a place even if a fixer upper.Get some equity going Once you start to rent it's hard to save up for a home.

Move out. Your parents do you no favor letting you stay an adolescent. They should be charging you rent and not paying for anything except, if you donthave it, medical insurance (since if you get in the hospital, they would have to foot the bill).

I moved out my senior year of college, never entered my mind to live with parents. You need independence, a pad to bring girls home to without mom and dad in the next room etc. Go for it!

Quit whining about no good jobs out there. In 1972 I had a crap job, paid about 4k per year, but I had my place, granted with Roomates , my OWN paid fir bicycle I rode to work, first car not until I was 28, but had a blast with friends. We were all broke with crap jobs, but we were having a blast and mom and dad were far away. To wash our meager clothes we used a laundromat, ate basic food, movies once a year, cheap wine, cheap beer, but still had the best of times. So can you! Do it.
    Last edited by Betty; Jun 27, 2013 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Sniffer: Hey, I thought all North East Italians lived with their parents until marriage or they inherited the family home? Even in marriage most Italian parents provide a first house for the kiddos. That's a fact. Like, the ex- mayor of my town bought his teen-aged son his own business because the kid was selling all of the family's possessions on E-bay. And they are totally Italian and live in the most populous Italian area (per capita) in the country. I see it everyday.
    You are correct for the most part PBJ, luckily though I grew up in South Jerz where that kind of coddling does not occur as much and I would probably be embarrassed if my folks bought my home. North Jerz Italians, well thats a whole nother story.

I agree with both sides here.. If you are truly going to save for a house, I'd stay a little while and do that. If you are going out and blowing cash on nonsense move out. I have a ton of friends that mooched off there parents and never saved a dime. Soon enough they were 30 and starting out like they just got out of school.
    Save as if you are paying rent/mortgage. Put a set amount away no matter what, so that you know what it's like to have to com up with it every month. Take the amount it would cost for [rent/car/phone/TV/Electric/food] and put it away every month... Soon enough you can get out on your own and even if you rent you'll have a nice little cushion.
    But remember how cool your parents are (seems like you do) and help out as much as possible. If they pay a landscaper, have them stop and mow the lawn. Take out trash and all that good stuff. Make their life easier to repay them for doing the same for you.
    BUT, if you are really unhappy and want your own shag pad now go for it. You'll get by and become a responsible man in the process. Or at least you'll get laid a bit (depending on your game).

You're young, healthy, and not tied down with wife, kids, house, pets, a bunch of car payments, etc. You have freedom and can afford to make changes and take some risks. Do you see any future in this job you hate? No? Then get the hell outta there. Take some risks. Challenge yourself, expand your horizons, and learn some valuable life lessons. What's the worst that could happen? You don't live in Bosnia, Chad, or some other miserable hellhole. There are many older guys who would love to be your age again and have the opportunities you have in front of you at this time in your life. Don't be miserable. You're too young for that BS!

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    I agree with both sides here.. If you are truly going to save for a house, I'd stay a little while and do that. If you are going out and blowing cash on nonsense move out. I have a ton of friends that mooched off there parents and never saved a dime. Soon enough they were 30 and starting out like they just got out of school.
    Save as if you are paying rent/mortgage. Put a set amount away no matter what, so that you know what it's like to have to com up with it every month. Take the amount it would cost for [rent/car/phone/TV/Electric/food] and put it away every month... Soon enough you can get out on your own and even if you rent you'll have a nice little cushion.
    But remember how cool your parents are (seems like you do) and help out as much as possible. If they pay a landscaper, have them stop and mow the lawn. Take out trash and all that good stuff. Make their life easier to repay them for doing the same for you.
    BUT, if you are really unhappy and want your own shag pad now go for it. You'll get by and become a responsible man in the process. Or at least you'll get laid a bit (depending on your game).
    Ding Ding Ding! Winner, winner, chicken dinner! (that your folks paid for).
    Dead nuts! Best advice on this post by far.

My 2 cents... plan for one more year. Save every friggin nickel. Then go it alone. I learned a lot about this f'd up world by being in it.

If you're lonely, take some action and make some "more geographically desirable" friends. Start a poker game or something. Or the yoga class thing, that sounded promising.

If I may add one other thing: the merits of the buying a house thing has come under heavy, valid scrutiny in the past couple of years. Without delving into the pros & cons, I'll just say research the heck out of that one. There's a powerful, valid case for renting, not buying / owing.

I've done both. Started off renting, saved, bought the house that I currently live in. I've replaced every dang thing there is on this place over the years - - you will, too, if you buy a house & stay in it more than 10 years - - I'm talking furnace, roof, gutters, AC unit, hot water heater & more. My point is that unless you're in a region where housing appreciates faster than inflation (as well, faster than the local govt property tax a**holes) eats up your gains, you may just break even once you go to sell. If you buy a house, it should be because you want to live in that house & live that way, not for an investment. The latter is a crapshoot at best.

One man's humble opinion. Enjoyed reading this thread......there's some good stuff posted by ones who been there.

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

What has changed that people are no longer anxious to get out and take on the world? Anxious to be on their own? Take all the responsibility good or ill on their own shoulders just because it was exciting to have their own life.