LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Firewire's Volume Calculator

just punched in my stats and the output seems way too high. A 40 liter volume board feels right to me...but firewire is suggesting closer to 50 liters! (that would be one corky mofo). Anyone else getting suspiciously high results with firewire's volume calculator?

Is there a difference in volume between firewire and other brands? Is there a difference in volume between poly and eps?

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    just punched in my stats and the output seems way too high. A 40 liter volume board feels right to me...but firewire is suggesting closer to 50 liters! (that would be one corky mofo). Anyone else getting suspiciously high results with firewire's volume calculator?

Is there a difference in volume between firewire and other brands? Is there a difference in volume between poly and eps?
    I'm no expert but my shaper is, and he seems to think that volume calculator is a joke

Agree they seem way to high. The CI board selector is more on the mark.

Images
    mine was over about 2 liters.

Take what you normally ride/like in a poly board. If the estimator for epoxy comes in equal or higher, you know it's not accurate. Also when it comes to epoxy boards, pay attention to if it's hand shaped or a punch out, or chinese garbage, etc. Many epoxies have basically no edges on the rails. This adds to the feeling of corkiness or planing too high that people don't like. Surfboards need edges and I see more epoxy boards out there that have none on them.

That calculator spit out a 15' kindling beast. Talk about volume...

There has been and probably never will be an agreement in the shaping industry on how to calculate board volume. The numbers and the formulas vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    There has been and probably never will be an agreement in the shaping industry on how to calculate board volume. The numbers and the formulas vary.
    You're right and volume only means something if you are comparing exact same materials. Two boards of same volume, but made of different materials will have much different hydrodynamic characteristics. Epoxy boards have many different manufacturing techniques used these days depending on who is making them. You can't take a 35 liter Firewire and compare it to all other 35 liter epoxies. Density would be a much better guage between makers and easy enough to figure provided they give you an exact finished weight of the product (along with the volume).

Hard to get a hold of a graduated cylinder big enough to fully submerge a surfboard I'd think, but that would be the best way to get the volume. The only way I would trust anyways.
    Last edited by Losttsol; Jun 28, 2013 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SHREDSLED View Post
    Agree they seem way to high. The CI board selector is more on the mark.
    i actually think the opposite. CI is a bit low, firewire's is fairly on the mark, IMO. i attribute that to the fact that they ask for more info...if you're honest about your ability level & weight, of course. of course, i also think that most average surfers ride less volume than they realistically should be for their ability level & paddling strength.

edit: i also find the idea that most surfers can tell the difference in buoyancy between poly & eps laughable. it's such a negligible amount. pros most likely can, or really small people, but not your average 150-200lb human.
    Last edited by njsurfer42; Jun 28, 2013 at 11:34 PM.

I normally rode a 6'2"-6'6" hpsb. I was worried about going shorter when I ordered my firewire, I asked questions on their forums and used the volume calculator. I ended up getting a 5'10" Spitfire, bottom of the suggested volume range for me, and I absolutely love it! I probably could've gone lower to a 5'8" but wearing a 4/3 into the summer is tiring. Use their forums and take the advice given, can't go wrong there.