LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Having trouble with short and wide boards...

OK, so I am mostly a shortboarder, and decided I wanted a small board that would do well in smaller, weaker waves. So I found a used 5'9" Chemistry Tron board that's short, but thick and wide with a low rocker. It's much more buoyant and stable than my 6'2" thruster, but today it was weak as the tide came in and I said, "what the hell? I'll mess with the thruster for a bit." I had such an easier time riding it than my Tron quad. The improved maneuverability extended my ride time...much easier for me to stay in the pocket with the 6'2"

Ease of balance is little issue as I'm used to riding both boards, but the thruster is just way easier to turn. The Tron is a little better for paddling in, but aside from that my rides are sweeter with the shortboard. Is there something I'm missing to riding a quad fin? The turns do feel different...feels like I have to drive them a lot harder and the board is kind of skatey. Any tips you guys would care to lend?

surprised none of the quad riders on this site have responded (I've never ridden a quad...but am shopping for my first)

first of all, you said the wave in question was good enough to have a "pocket"...probably not the right wave for a mush board. Maybe the tron is just a dog...it, apparently, has been discontinued for some reason (you don't see lost's round nose fish or CI's flyer, etc being discontinued...cause they work)

one thing I've noticed is that, usually, the better a board paddles/easy to get into the wave, the worse is it at performance riding the actual wave. That's one of the reasons guys like matt biolos keeps making new small board shapes...he's striving to bridge that paddle/performance gap the best possible

Might be that you just need to get used to it. Quads ride differently because they're supposed to. One suggestion is to try to move your back foot back. I don't know anything about the Tron, but it's supposed to be for bigger riders. Maybe it's just too much board for you?

my first thought is that it's too much board, like LBCrew suggested. most of those short, stubby shapes are meant to be ridden REALLY short & stubby...if your go-to hpsb is 6'2", the 5'9" is probably too big. what are the dims of the 5'9"?
    i doubt it really has too much to do w/ the board being a quad rather than a thruster...more like the board is too big/the rails are too full for you, so you've got to work harder to get & keep it on rail.

^sounds about right. People think getting an even longer/thicker groveller than suggested is going to solve being out of paddling shape, but, more than anything, it actually just makes the ride really corky...paddling isn't helped much at all.

However, a really wide nose does help with paddling and also helps the board plane over flat areas when connecting to reforms...but, on steep/barreling waves, they dig into the face and slow down (if not bucking you off, altogether).

A lesser factor may also be the fins. Are you sure your fins are the right ones for that particular board? I personally hate messing with fins...even on a tri (quads are even more confusing). I usually just use the fins that came with the board direct from the shaper.
    Last edited by waterbaby; Jun 30, 2013 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Might be that you just need to get used to it. Quads ride differently because they're supposed to. One suggestion is to try to move your back foot back. I don't know anything about the Tron, but it's supposed to be for bigger riders. Maybe it's just too much board for you?
    I think you hit the nail(s) on the head. One, foot placement was something I focused on today. My back foot definitely plants too far forward when I pop up...this makes turning way easier.

Second, it does feel a bit corky. Rails are 2 5/8" and I think 20 3/4" wide, 34L volume. I'm 5'10" and 165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mattybrews View Post
    I think you hit the nail(s) on the head. One, foot placement was something I focused on today. My back foot definitely plants too far forward when I pop up...this makes turning way easier.

Second, it does feel a bit corky. Rails are 2 5/8" and I think 20 3/4" wide, 34L volume. I'm 5'10" and 165 lbs.
    jeeze! that thing is sized right for me & i'm taller & heavier than you by about 20lbs!

the tron is a super fun board for me,like they said that might be a little high in vol for u to rip on.maybe real good for going fast on real small mushy waves though,dont give up on it yet,get some smaller fins maybe

btw , how did u find out volume on yours, is that a rough guess, i guess mine to be about same vol,im 20 lbs heavier than you

Quote Originally Posted by numbone View Post
    btw , how did u find out volume on yours, is that a rough guess, i guess mine to be about same vol,im 20 lbs heavier than you
    Luckily for me it's written on the board

Additionally, took it out again today and just concentrated on my foot placement the whole time. My pop ups have just been sloppy. Once I started consistently landing my back foot over the fins the board magically became so much more responsive. Really responsive. It turns pretty quickly! Definitely a bit different feel than a tri-fin, but worth getting used to.